Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

RobMc59 wrote: »
    https://www.teagasc.ie/animals/dairy/animal-health/disease/
    Could be a case of pot,kettle,black as it looks like Ireland has its share of problems as well.

That's just a very (very) short list of the many (many) diseases that can and do affect animals that are kept for food. Every country has such a list, some with more or less lines on the list depending on geographical and climactic factors. Both Britain and Ireland have a natural advantage over other EU countries in that they are islands and as such have the benefit of a natural barrier to the spread of disease, and the opportunity to be very vigilant with regard to what animals come into the country (note: British cows are not Northern Irish cows; no unionism in the ox community :rolleyes: )

Where Brexit comes into play is at a different level. All the aforementionned diseases are treated by regular vets working with regular farmers; in addition, the soon-to-be-food animals are inspected before and after slaughter by vets operating under licence from the government; and animals moving out of and (especially) into the country are also inspected for signs of unwanted diseases and certified safe by licensed vets. Ireland has more than enough vets to do all of this work. Britain does not - so guess where they get the extra people from. Yep, the EU. And guess what's happened to EU-trained vet registrations in the UK since the referendum? Yep, same as has happened with teachers, uni lecturers, nurses, doctors and fruit pickers - they've found employment elsewhere.

Just another aspect of life in the UK that is intricately bound up with the EU, and cannot be unravelled without unintended consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,464 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

road_high wrote: »
    A lot of them actually voted for Brexit- again I’ve seen several interviewed- “because they wanted their country back”. If you’re that thick do you really warrant kitten gloved treatment thereafter? I don’t think so, actions have consequences. You want brexit the freedoms and privileges of being in the Eu go with it.

I want the people who conned them to have consequences. Old people living their days out in the sun...not so much. They made a mistake they are admitting to at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

20silkcut wrote: »
    The foot and mouth crisis of 2001 perfectly illustrated the difference in attitude to Animal disease between Ireland and the UK.
    I recall 6 nations rugby games being cancelled in Ireland and hurling and football games.
    Nothing like that happened in Britain.
    It was a national crisis in Ireland.
    It barely made headlines in Britain and that’s where all the **** was hitting the fan.

That's the difference between a meat exporting nation and a meat importing nation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭trashcan

I want the people who conned them to have consequences. Old people living their days out in the sun...not so much. They made a mistake they are admitting to at least.

That's the thing though, there will be no consequences of note for the likes of Johnson, Farage, Rees Mogg and Gove. It's the very people who couldn't afford Brexit who voted it through. Ironic and sad really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Like I said, classy.

What has your perception of classy to do with anything? I couldn’t give a flying ****e if you think a few hometruths are classy or not! If you want to live in an echo chamber go back to reading the Daily Mail. I’ve absolutely no time for brexit voting UK migrants that think they can retain all their EU privileges. Not how the world works loves and time you lot realized it. Not long to go now in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

Road high and Folkestonian, please read the charter re standards of civil debates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

What has your perception of classy to do with anything? I couldn’t give a flying ****e if you think a few hometruths are classy or not! If you want to live in an echo chamber go back to reading the Daily Mail. I’ve absolutely no time for brexit voting UK migrants that think they can retain all their EU privileges. Not how the world works loves and time you lot realized it. Not long to go now in any case.

Your message was lost on me - maybe you had a point but I didn’t even give it a moment of consideration after such gems as ‘you don’t get anything for nothing off the English’ and ‘a bunch of old locusts...clogging up hospitals’.

It was the lack of class in your delivery, not your argument, that prompted my response.

By the way, I’d be interested to see the evidence that British citizens living in Spain are a net drain on the economy. I don’t actually believe it will be the case.

Your little rant about the rebate and other (so far unspecified) benefits almost makes me want Article 50 to be withdrawn so that people like you continue to chunter away about the injustice of it all

Mod note:

Road high and Folkestonian, please read the charter re standards of civil debates.

Okie dokie. apologies for knocking the thread off course a bit.

I absolutely want no A50 extension, I want the UK gone, erased from the European Union. We can all hopefully be grown ups and still trade with eachother which I think is what everyone wants like in an amicable divorce. It’s obvious the political union doesn’t work for the UK and is like a deadweight on the rest of the EU so it’s best for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

trashcan wrote: »
    That's the thing though, there will be no consequences of note for the likes of Johnson, Farage, Rees Mogg and Gove. It's the very people who couldn't afford Brexit who voted it through. Ironic and sad really.

The poor and just about managing who were fed up with their lot and believed the years of media lies of blame the EU for all that's wrong. A handy coat tail to ride on for the Tories who quietly stripped all bare with their austerity policies. And now.. the political class escape the crap of their doing yet again.

It is still the EU's fault and will continue to be.. and yet if they manage to find a workable deal it will be because the EU will have thrown a life line to help the UK.

A nation of deliberate and willful ignorance doesn't quite cover it.

• Advertisement

I absolutely want no A50 extension, I want the UK gone, erased from the European Union. We can all hopefully be grown ups and still trade with eachother which I think is what everyone wants like in an amicable divorce. It’s obvious the political union doesn’t work for the UK and is like a deadweight on the rest of the EU so it’s best for everyone.

Interesting description of a country that is a net contributor of €12bn to the EU budget, home to 3 million Europeans looking for employment, and a leading player in European defence and security.

If Britain is a ‘dead weight’ needing to be erased, what charming descriptions do you have for the other 27?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

The foot and mouth crisis of 2001 perfectly illustrated the difference in attitude to Animal disease between Ireland and the UK.
    I recall 6 nations rugby games being cancelled in Ireland and hurling and football games.
    Nothing like that happened in Britain.
    It was a national crisis in Ireland.
    It barely made headlines in Britain and that’s where all the **** was hitting the fan.

In fairness, I recall it being quite a big deal in the UK. I remember vividly an enormous funeral pyre of culled cattle, a ghastly image which had quite the lasting effect on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Interesting description of a country that is a net contributor of €12bn to the EU budget, home to 3 million Europeans looking for employment, and a leading player in European defence and security.

If Britain is a ‘dead weight’ needing to be erased, what charming descriptions do you have for the other 27?
    The net amount is a good deal less than that. Taking out farm subsidies and other direct payments drops that right down to about €5 billion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,464 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The net amount is a good deal less than that. Taking out farm subsidies and other direct payments drops that right down to about €5 billion.

Not forgetting that there will be a cost for any deal they have to get in the future - crash out or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've deleted several posts. Road_high & Folkstonian, I'm banning the next one of you to either post in a poor manner or attempt to goad the other.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

I absolutely want no A50 extension, I want the UK gone, erased from the European Union. We can all hopefully be grown ups and still trade with each other which I think is what everyone wants like in an amicable divorce. It’s obvious the political union doesn’t work for the UK and is like a dead weight on the rest of the EU so it’s best for everyone.
    Theresa May has said that there will be no extension though the issue has been raised by EU countries. It is opposed by the hard Brexiteers. I expect that if there is to be one it will be announced at the last minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

You classy fella, you.

Btw - Brits are overwhelmingly a net contributor to the Spanish economy. Over 15m Brits a year holiday in Spain, pouring billions into the tourism sector.

Despite all the uncertainty surrounding what happens next month, the drop off in U.K. citizens booking summer holidays in Spain and elsewhere in the EU has been relatively small so far, but if the Spanish want to take an abrasive stance towards them, I’m sure there are other countries to travel and spend lots of money in

I'd be dubious as to whether an abrasive attitude to ex-pats would have much effect on the tourist numbers.
    I doubt say the 18-35 booze holiday people will be put off going to Ibiza or the Canaries because of how health service conditions are changing for the 70+ 'blue tint brigade' in Torremolinos.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Toto Wolff, CEO of the Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport Formula One Team team has said how Brexit could cause the "mother of all messes" for Formula 1 and will have be a distinct disadvantage to all UK based F1 teams

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/19/motorsport/toto-wolff-mercedes-brexit-formula-one-spt-intl/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,474 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Richard Bruton has confirmed that in the event of a No Deal scenario, the Electricity market between the North and the South could be disrupted and the North may need to find alternative electricity supply

The single market rules for electricity may make it illegal for Ireland to sell electricity to the UK absent a legal arrangement to do so.

This had already been discussed as a possibility, but most people figured that the UK wouldn't let it to get this close to the line without making proper arrangements to keep the lights in the North

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/energy-and-resources/no-deal-brexit-could-impact-some-types-of-electricity-trading-bruton-1.3799686

• Registered Users Posts: 23,811 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Phillip Hammond saying tonight they accept the WA will not be reopened.

May hoping for progress on assurances with Juncker tomorrow.

She still wants a time limit as an add on.

She's going to be disappointed.

• Advertisement

Some clarity from Jean-claude Juncker on both an A50 extension and the upcoming Euro elections...
    If Britain asks for a delay to its departure from the European Union, none of the existing members will stand in its way, European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker said on Tuesday.

But, speaking at an event in the German city of Stuttgart, Juncker added that if the extension lasted until the European Parliament elections at the end of May, British voters would have to take part in the polls.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-juncker-idUSKCN1Q82DE

Akrasia wrote: »
    Richard Bruton has confirmed that in the event of a No Deal scenario, the Electricity market between the North and the South could be disrupted and the North may need to find alternative electricity supply
    I don't think that there would be a disruption to the supply in NI given what Sammy Wilson has been stating recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,474 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Toto Wolff, CEO of the Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport Formula One Team team has said how Brexit could cause the "mother of all messes" for Formula 1 and will have be a distinct disadvantage to all UK based F1 teams

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/19/motorsport/toto-wolff-mercedes-brexit-formula-one-spt-intl/index.html

In other sports related news, the Heineken Cup quarter finals are on the 30th and 31st of March

Will there be
    Broadcast rights, work permits, flights, customs clearance for the travelling teams sports equipment etc etc...

There are a lot of southern hemisphere born players who have rights to work in the EU but will they have to apply for work permits to play in the UK post Brexit?

Some clarity from Jean-claude Juncker on both an A50 extension and the upcoming Euro elections...
    If Britain asks for a delay to its departure from the European Union, none of the existing members will stand in its way, European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker said on Tuesday.

But, speaking at an event in the German city of Stuttgart, Juncker added that if the extension lasted until the European Parliament elections at the end of May, British voters would have to take part in the polls.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-juncker-idUSKCN1Q82DE

This is the main threat that Theresa May has against the hard Brexiteers: "agree to my deal or we extend article 50". As far as I'm aware she does not require any parliamentary approval to do this.

Ireland is probably in favour of an extension particularly if there is to be no deal as we are not yet prepared for that scenario.

No way to partaking in the EU elections. They’d elect every disruptive fruit cake they could find. The Eu has had enough destabilizing UK influence, we certainly don’t need to add to it particularly as they’re leaving. Would be like leaving a job but still turning up each day to cause havoc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,988 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I wonder if it is feasible for May to revoke A50 unilaterally on 28th March and resign forthwith.

If there is going to be no progress on the WA, and few in the Commons apart from the ERG and some other idiots want a No Deal exit, well, could/would/should it be done I wonder?

I am not sure if withdrawal of A50 needs Commons approval though. Am taking into account the fact that the WA with a time limited backstop is not being countenanced by EU at all, also.

Seems to me to be the only way. But interested to hear other views on this.

No way to partaking in the EU elections. They’d elect every disruptive fruit cake they could find. The Eu has had enough destabilizing UK influence, we certainly don’t need to add to it particularly as they’re leaving. Would be like leaving a job but still turning up each day to cause havoc.
    However there is also the possibility of some sort of deal. Plus buy time to prepare in the event of no deal.

I wonder if it is feasible for May to revoke A50 unilaterally on 28th March and resign forthwith.
    I have posted to the effect that this is unlikely. A50 only ends when no further extensions are available. She will keep her options open until that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,988 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I have posted to the effect that this is unlikely. A50 only ends when no further extensions are available. She will keep her options open until that time.

Thanks, after I had posted I realised that surely this option had already been discussed. But it is a long thread just the same, sometimes difficult to keep up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

https://twitter.com/katyballs/status/1098004050484883456

I imagine this talk is just to try and keep those about to resign the whip placated for a few more days. Also as everyone knows, what Westminster thinks isnt in line with Brussels, most of the time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement