Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,495 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

keane2097 wrote: »
    Farage and his Brexit party won't win a raffle.
    If there is no Brexit, then Farage definitely wins. Characters like Farage need the EU, of merely just to oppose it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Extension if No Deal is agreed she's saying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I have to disagree on this. Lets say a 2nd referendum occurred do people honestly think that would be the end of it all?

There would 17.4 million royally pissed off people, there is over a 100 MPs who are part of or strongly support the ERG and that is before we even mention the media. These people are not all going to change their minds.

Yeah, there's no getting around the fact that the country is and will remain bitterly divided.

According to this link from Business Insider, the "Bregret" is such that it would cause a 9% shift from leave to remain:

5c7003381631a31ea93d8123-640-374.png

5c7008652628982cfc07c964-640-428.png

5c7009f870a61e14d115e119-640-349.png

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

So it's official, the choices are that on March 13th, 1: Mays Deal or 2: an extension if the HOC votes for it, or 3: if they don't vote for it, a hard Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Indicates what we've known for a while: if Brexit is cancelled or deferred, Sterling will rise. If No Deal occurs, Sterling will plummet. These rises are on the back of a belief that an extension at the very least is now a likely outcome.

i think today is the first time in 3 years that sterling has gotten stronger while Theresa May is speaking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

It wouldn't be the end of it. A few years from now a future Conservative leader could conceivably call another referendum

Cameron calling that referendum was the worst mistake by a Prime Minister since WWII. No PM will ever touch that idea with a 40 foot pole ever again if they can just get the Brexit genie back in the bottle.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So no movement from her :eek:
    5c7008652628982cfc07c964-640-428.png
    The swing isn't huge though.
    In any new referendum, I suspect that a lot of people in the middle will just not be arsed and it will be those with stronger held views who swing it (on one side or the other)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Panrich

So it's official, the choices are that on March 13th, 1: Mays Deal or 2: an extension if the HOC votes for it, or 3: if they don't vote for it, a hard Brexit.

An extension along the lines that May proposes will not solve very much. A couple of months extension only postpones the car crash.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Cameron calling that referendum was the worst mistake by a Prime Minister since WWII. No PM will ever touch that idea with a 40 foot pole ever again if they can just get the Brexit genie back in the bottle.

People have short memories, particularly in politics.

There is always some smooth talking charlatan like Farage or Johnson who could convince people they know best and a Brexit is in their interests.

If someone talked of leaving the EU in any other country, they would be laughed out of it. In UK the idea is/was taken seriously for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

road_high wrote: »
    So No Deal is coming off the table?
    So surely a delayis inevitable then if there’s No deal agreed by end March now?

100% she won't be able to get her deal passed which will mean a delay of Brexit which will probably be the 2 year extension considering May's kicking the can tactics.

I imagine everything will go quiet in this period until the end and then probably another referendum in the UK.

The 2 year delay is the best option at the moment as much as I hate the idea of another 2 years on uncertainty. The EU could and should put there footdown but they won't as they still want the UK as a member.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The swing isn't huge though.
    In any new referendum, I suspect that a lot of people in the middle will just not be arsed and it will be those with stronger held views who swing it (on one side or the other)

I disagree. I don't know how close to the mark polls can get but the sheer levels of farce of the past 2 years exceeded everyone's expectations. Plus you have how many 15+ year olds from 2016 now able to vote.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

1. Meaningful vote by 12 March on latest version of May Deal.
    2. If it fails to secure Commons majority, on 13 March May to ask Commons about leaving with no deal
    3. If no deal rejected May to propose a short extension to Art 50 on Mar 14

What happens if MPs vote against no deal but then vote against extending Article 50?

(Stolen from twitter)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Give them a 6 week extension and no more cos they're still talking unicorns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,141 ✭✭✭✭briany

Crunch time. Better put in for stocks on yellow high-viz jackets and popcorn.

March 12 - Vote on May's deal
    March 13 - Vote on no-deal
    March 14 - Vote on an extension

What must the ERG be thinking? I think May could have them cornered on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

But he only initially offered the referendum in the confident belief the lib dems would veto it when it came to forming the the inevitable post election coalition. It was a miscalculation to be exact, a guy undone by a Macmillian events, dear boy, events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

briany wrote: »
    Crunch time. Better put in for stocks on yellow high-viz jackets and popcorn.

March 12 - Vote on May's deal
    March 13 - Vote on no-deal
    March 14 - Vote on an extension

What must the ERG be thinking? I think May could have them cornered on this.
    there is a part of me that thinks the ERG or at least a fair percentage of them are terrified of a no deal brexit, for all their talk to the contrary.

now the question is whether they prefer the brexit the WA will give them (soft as soft can be) or sticking to their guns and the fun of dragging out the whole debate for another 3 months at least and god knows how long again after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

There is always some smooth talking charlatan like Farage or Johnson who could convince people they know best and a Brexit is in their interests.

But Cameron did not call the referendum because he wanted Brexit, he just wanted to keep the Eurosceptics in his party happy. When he promised a referendum, he did not expect to win the next election. And when he called the referendum, he expected remain to win.

No PM will make that mistake again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,141 ✭✭✭✭briany

farmchoice wrote: »
    there is a part of me that thinks the ERG or at least a fair percentage of them are terrified of a no deal brexit, for all their talk to the contrary.

now the question is whether they prefer the brexit the WA will give them (soft as soft can be) or sticking to their guns and the fun of dragging out the whole debate for another 3 months at least and god knows how long again after that.

We shouldn't forget that the DUP are dead set against May's deal because it has special stipulations for NI. If it goes through, would they withdraw their support for the government? That's the sting in the tail of May's deal. The most likely course of events that I see is extension > referendum > remain vote > political machinations over the EU for at least a generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Schnitzler Hiyori Geta

road_high wrote: »
    Extension if No Deal is agreed she's saying.
    EU27: "No thanks"

How is that taking no-deal off the table? SMH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,214 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Thinking about it if they had a 2nd vote and it went remain this whole thing could well result in the complete opposite of what cameron originally intended and end up splitting the tories or at least the tory vote between themselves and something like the brexit party

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Schnitzler Hiyori Geta

VinLieger wrote: »
    Thinking about it if they had a 2nd vote and it went remain this whole thing could well result in the complete opposite of what cameron originally intended and end up splitting the tories or at least the tory vote between themselves and something like the brexit party
    That's why I don't fully understand Labour's game here. If Labour could get the votes to push for a second referendum (and they don't know because they haven't been going down that route) they could potentially split the Tory party and be in Government before the summer and remain there for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So hold on. What did TM announce today?

There is still the option of her Deal, and No deal. Then if neither of them are voted for they will seek an extension, but she didn't say for how long? Have I got that right?

So she has announced nothing but a time delay dressed up as an announcement. Apart from accepting that a delay is now a possibility, which up till yesterday she was adamant was not an option (how many U turns is that now?) she hasn't really moved anything on at all.

Or am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Artifacting

I wouldn't take it for granted that a rerun would result in a reversal of the vote. Any polls taken at present would be in the relative calm of nobody campaigning.

The Brexiteers are quite capable of ramping up the communications, spin, lies, jingoism, nationalism and press all the fear buttons and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Despite what appears to be at least a good outcome of sorts where they'll at least discuss an extension of article 50, I don't trust May or the HoC not to crash out due to indecision paralysis. What if they vote against all 3? Which is very likely. Why not a single vote, ask the house of commons what their preference is, and run with it.

They will vote "against" no deal because they did before. But that didn't stop them rumbling on towards no deal. And it won't stop it again. It's absolutely absurd that they propose voting on asking for an extension less than two calendar weeks before they're due to leave. This isn't a college essay they're asking to postpone, it's withdrawal of 60 million people from a trading bloc. At that point the EU will be bracing for Brexit, not looking to discuss a pointless delay of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So hold on. What did TM announce today?

There is still the option of her Deal, and No deal. Then if neither of them are voted for they will seek an extension, but she didn't say for how long? Have I got that right?

So she has announced nothing but a time delay dressed up as an announcement. Apart from accepting that a delay is now a possibility, which up till yesterday she was adamant was not an option (how many U turns is that now?) she hasn't really moved anything on at all.

Or am I missing something?
    she did say how long, 3 months up to june, then its back to a deal or no deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Jeffery Donaldson on radio 1 now sounds a beaten docket in my opinion.he seems to realize that they have been thrown under the bus.sammy must not be available

Referendum for Deal or No Deal. Or let the HoC rescind Article 50. It's saying something when so many in the most affected EU country are absolutely sick of them and don't even want them to remain.

Invest in popcorn and hold tight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

Looks like today May will announce she is taking "no deal" off the table.

From a Brexiter view point that is catastrophic. It's the only remotest leverage UK had.

No more incentive for EU to give on anything now. Great for us.

There is no leverage. No Deal is just took an option for the UK to slit it's own throat.
    Of course, from the perspective of someone who was looking forward to exactly that, it is of course catastrophic.
    I'm not sure why someone would want that option anyway.
    I'm guessing malicious intent or a lack of understanding.
    Either way, no deal has absolutely nothing positive to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,214 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Jeffery Donaldson on radio 1 now sounds a beaten docket in my opinion.he seems to realize that they have been thrown under the bus.sammy must not be available

Theyve been given a lifeline though, this pushes a border poll much further out than a no deal situation would. The fact that the DUP cannot see this is just baffling to me, unlike farage, boris, mogg et al the DUP seem to also swallow the swill the spit out

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement