Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

prawnsambo wrote: »
    So this seems to be what the 'robust' discussions were about. No more faffing about, come up with something in two days or good luck.
    But sure doesn't the EU always cave at the last minute? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Do all these people writing comments calling for the UK to just exit with no deal(no doubt based on their international trade expertise) not realise that their government can do this at any minute they want. The fact they haven't speaks volumes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm from Ireland but I have been working in Oxford for almost 2 years. I work with people who have family members working in the massive BMW mini factory. The attitude to Brexit is astonishing. I keep hearing "just leave whatever the cost"

The local newspaper The Oxford Mail comment section gives a flavour of the attitudes.

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/17479536.councils-react-to-bmw-brexit-concerns-in-oxford/

Comments section on any brexit related articles and the stomping ground of foreign influence. Of course there is the few local plebs who generally suffer from some yearning to be contrary on the internet but they are reinforced by disinformation campaigns.

This is an ongoing proxy war for hearts and minds and the Russians and their local proxy's are winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Almost nobody, outside of those of us who slaved diligently for five years or more to avert that disaster, understands that at all. To the average pleb, "Y2k" is a synonym for "overhyped scaremongering".

It was quite a rewarding time, I built up countless days in lieu and bonuses that rolled up to keep me on a Y2K project leading up to and to remain after the rollover.

Difference between Y2K and Brexit was back then we knew what we were at and had many many plans in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

But sure doesn't the EU always cave at the last minute? :)

Kind of hard to cave when you don't know what the other side would accept. Then again it is hard to know what the other side would accept when the other side don't know themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Edit: brexit included

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The Secretary of State Karen Bradley's incredible comments today that murders committed by security forces during the Troubles were 'not crimes' to me has the DUP's fingerprints all over it.

There seems to be a very strong push right now in Westminster to try and absolve British soldiers of any responsibility for what happened during the conflict. I don't think the timing of this is coincidental. I think the DUP will make this front and centre of any election campaign they have to fight in the coming years, counting on their base being placated by this even if the economy takes a bad turn. Sadly, I think they're likely to be right that their core supporters will lap this up.

Unbelievable comments from the ignorant Bradley. She should resign or be fired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

I'm from Ireland but I have been working in Oxford for almost 2 years. I work with people who have family members working in the massive BMW mini factory. The attitude to Brexit is astonishing. I keep hearing "just leave whatever the cost"

The local newspaper The Oxford Mail comment section gives a flavour of the attitudes.

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/17479536.councils-react-to-bmw-brexit-concerns-in-oxford/

Continuing to blame the EU for all their woes.. austerity and lack of services, poor education & community support, you name it, all down to the evil EU.
    It's very sad cos' folks don't know which way is up.. the bubble of resentment from the life strugglers is only going to get worse, fed by the media and other dubious sources. The ignorance in the UK is astonishing - years and years of insular thinking has crippled the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,519 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Leroy42 wrote: »
    And what will probably happen is that basic spec cars will start to be sold, lowering the advertising price to maintain at current levels but without alloy wheels, ICE etc etc.

I highly doubt they'll sell cars without engines :pac:
    Internal Combustion Engine

I've already experienced the issue on a very small scale here in NZ. VW NZ were able to source a number of high spec T-Roc models due to the Brexit mess, uncertainty and collapsing sales in the UK. NZ was never due to get this model before 2020 but we were able to convince Germany to divert them, simple software change for maps and speedos and suddenly we got a very limited, highly sought-after model to sell and made a lot of easy money from them :)

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »

It'll be rather uncomfortable tonight at the dinner hosted by the Irish ambassador over there as both she and Coveney will be attending, as well as some from the DUP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,423 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

J Mysterio wrote: »

The timing of such comments is no mistake. She's a disgrace. But TM is a disgrace for appointing such an ignoramus to that position in the first place.

But then Irish people don't matter. Never have. Just there to be subjugated and shot at.

Sad to see (but not unsurprising) the nodding bigots in the DUP seats while she uttered such crap.

But airlines only give you the facility to enter one passport when you type in your API details, and subsequently using a different undeclared passport at arrival passport control would surely open him up to another world of hassle.

Nope, this is actually all fine. I've left NZ on a NZ passport, given the airline the NZ passport and arrived into EU on my Irish passport twice without issue. you just need to match departing passport to airline, they don't care about usage at destination

lawred2 wrote: »
    The timing of such comments is no mistake. She's a disgrace. But TM is a disgrace for appointing such an ignoramus to that position in the first place.

But then Irish people don't matter. Never have. Just there to be subjugated and shot at.

Sad to see (but not unsurprising) the nodding bigots in the DUP seats while she uttered such crap.

It got about 10 seconds on the main BBC 10 o'clock news tonight, right before the sports bulletin.

Then again Brexit news didn't get much longer about 20 minutes into the bulletin.

Her comments were in response to a DUP parliamentary question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Why is he meeting with the French government when they know full well who they should be discussing this with?

Reports that "France will demand a 21 Brexit delay", fishing expedition?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,807 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Don't agree with tricks by other national governments to try and cajole Britain in to remain.

They voted to leave. No matter what we think of it it's their decision and they made that decision for good or bad. Probably bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Don't agree with tricks by other national governments to try and cajole Britain in to remain.

They voted to leave. No matter what we think of it it's their decision and they made that decision for good or bad. Probably bad.

What tricks? Grieve is an MP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Probably?

And tricks? What on earth are you talking about? The UK has been bouncing around the European capitals in the persons of David Davis, Boris Johnson and Theresa May (to name but a few), trying to end run the properly appointed chief negotiator and more latterly trying to undermine the GFA and our government.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

And what paper supplies this article?

The Telegraph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,807 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

May Outlines Brexit Plan to Avoid Hard Border With Ireland

Premier engages with proposals for technical border solutions

Plan wouldn’t strip Irish backstop out of withdrawal agreement

Basically Britain undertakes to try develop technical solutions by 2021 so backstop would not be needed. WA would remain unchanged with backstop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Hurrache wrote: »
    It'll be rather uncomfortable tonight at the dinner hosted by the Irish ambassador over there as both she and Coveney will be attending, as well as some from the DUP.

Compare the lack of outrage from the Irish media, FFG to when that Shinner put the bread loaf on his head.

I was expecting it to be the main headline on RTÉ news, when thry eventually got round to it, it was downplayed and they defended her "context".

Coveney should be demanding an apology, her resignation and the arrest of those murderers.

Otherwise, send the British ambassador home.

How can that woman be responsible for 1 million Irish citizens in the North?

May Outlines Brexit Plan to Avoid Hard Border With Ireland

Basically Britain undertakes to try develop technical solutions by 2021 so backstop would not be needed. WA would remain unchanged with backstop.
    Are you making up these headlines and posting them in large font size in a clickbaity way? Because the headline in that Bloomberg article bears no relationship to what you posted above.

EU said to be pessimistic that brexit breakthrough in reach

Bit of a difference there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,458 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Are you making up these headlines and posting them in large font size in a clickbaity way? Because the headline in that Bloomberg article bears no relationship to what you posted above.

Bit of a difference there.

Confused me too. I was about to post that he/she had posted the wrong link.

Confused me too. I was about to post that he/she had posted the wrong link.
    I hovered the link first, I always do to avoid going to some breitbart rubbish, and read the headline from that. Not impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The next instalment will be

'May OUTLINES Brexit Plan to Avoid HARD Border With Ireland!!!'

Compare the lack of outrage from the Irish media, FFG to when that Shinner put the bread loaf on his head.

I was expecting it to be the main headline on RTÉ news, when thry eventually got round to it, it was downplayed and they defended her "context".

Coveney should be demanding an apology, her resignation and the arrest of those murderers.

Otherwise, send the British ambassador home.

How can that woman be responsible for 1 million Irish citizens in the North?

I'm sure it was the lead or second story on the 9 o'clock news, and there was no defending of her.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

I’m hoping, if Brexit does go ahead, that it will lead to greater connectivity from the likes of Cork Airport to the continent. We could really do with some more destinations, particularly to Germany.

As things currently stand, I’d rather fly to Amsterdam and get a train into Germany rather than fly via London because it’s painful going through British airports on the return leg. Brexit only makes that less desirable.

Morgan will no longer be a British owned brand...
    https://www.driven.co.nz/reviews/classic-cars/private-equity-firm-swoops-on-morgan-sports-cars/
    After 110 years of family ownership, British car maker Morgan is being bought by a European private equity firm.
    They're being bought by an Italian firm.

Only Caterham left now.
    But I'm sure this also has nothing to do with Brexit at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

A crash-out is probably needed to rid the British public of the idea that the EU caves at the last moment and that walking away doesn't have severe consequences.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement