Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cutting edge new technologies? RFID?? Seriously?
    And a working IT system to bind them all ?

Ah bless.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6784231/Passport-Office-website-crashes-warning-holidaymakers-stopped-border.html
    The Passport Office website crashed yesterday after a warning that millions of holidaymakers could be barred from EU countries by a No Deal Brexit unless they beat today’s renewal deadline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Shelga wrote: »
    He is allowed by the BBC to rant on about how the EU is ‘trapping’ them in the backstop. IT WAS THE UK GOVERNMENT’S IDEA TO EXTEND IT TO THE WHOLE OF THE UK; THE EU JUST WANTED IT TO BE FOR NORTHERN IRELAND.

Very sorry for the caps lock, but the sheer neglect of the media and particularly the BBC is enraging. Why is no one from the government EVER challenged on this point. I am so sick of the lot of them. The disregard they have shown for Ireland is disgusting.
    Totally agree.they are still allowed to go unchallenged with their bullsh!t.the BBC for me has lost all credibility it had.every question time audience is so pro brexit its blindingly obvious it's farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,807 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Theresa May to tell EU tomorrow they need a deal as much as the UK. She will be imploring them to act.

One thing is for sure EU solidarity with Ireland is going to face the biggest test in the coming days as the British government puts renewed pressure on the EU ahead of the vote on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Theresa May to tell EU tomorrow they need a deal as much as the UK. She will be imploring them to act.

One thing is for sure EU solidarity with Ireland is going to face the biggest test in the coming days as the British government puts renewed pressure on the EU ahead of the vote on Tuesday.

Yeah, all the signs are that the EU are going to throw ireland off the side of the ship. It's been a game they've been playing for the last 2 years, saying that they are going to support us and then doing it, it's all been to lull us in to a false sense of security so they can break our hearts and make a deal with the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Theresa May to tell EU tomorrow they need a deal as much as the UK.

Well then she’ll be lying. They’d very much like a deal, yes. It is demonstrably false that they need one as much as the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

What Theresa May will say tomorrow:

Reports over the weekend said that her government have moved into blame the EU mode, looks like she's leading from the front on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Brendan Boyle and friends still observing...

https://twitter.com/RepBrendanBoyle/status/1103723711130226688

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So TM is saying that the EU need to change the deal.

So isn't that saying she agrees that the deal is not acceptable and so I assume she will be voting against the deal on Tuesday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

May is to address her speech to the EU today. One of the few times her speeches have been targeted towards the other side in the negotiations. Probably the most significant time it shouldn't be.

Two and a half years since the referendum and she still doesn't know how to negotiate with the EU. Three weeks out and her man Cox(unelected bureaucrat) is proposing that the EU 'be reasonable'.

Also a pity the DUP won't be decimated at the next elections for going against the clear wishes of the NI population.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Brendan Boyle and friends still observing...

https://twitter.com/RepBrendanBoyle/status/1103723711130226688
    If she is not fired it will show exactly what they think Ireland. She is totally unable for the job (remembering earlier admissions of saying she hadn't realised nationalists don't vote for unionists etc.).

She essentially dismissed the murder of catholics completely which is entirely unacceptable for her position.

• Advertisement

Christy42 wrote: »
    If she is not fired it will show exactly what they think Ireland. She is totally unable for the job (remembering earlier admissions of saying she hadn't realised nationalists don't vote for unionists etc.).

She essentially dismissed the murder of catholics completely which is entirely unacceptable for her position.

I'm amazed she hasn't stepped down. On reading the news I immediately assumed this was her trying to get out of the SoS position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So TM is saying that the EU need to change the deal.

So isn't that saying she agrees that the deal is not acceptable and so I assume she will be voting against the deal on Tuesday?
    Well, she voted against it last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Well, she voted against it last time.

Which is funny because her response to every single question challenging her lack of preparation for No Deal is that the best way to avoid no deal is to vote for her deal.

And less funny is when she refused to rule out voting for a crash out if her deal is rejected after her short extension expires.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Shelga wrote: »
    He is allowed by the BBC to rant on about how the EU is ‘trapping’ them in the backstop. IT WAS THE UK GOVERNMENT’S IDEA TO EXTEND IT TO THE WHOLE OF THE UK; THE EU JUST WANTED IT TO BE FOR NORTHERN IRELAND.

Very sorry for the caps lock, but the sheer neglect of the media and particularly the BBC is enraging. Why is no one from the government EVER challenged on this point. I am so sick of the lot of them. The disregard they have shown for Ireland is disgusting.

Well, the BBC is now going to be reviewed by Ofcom:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0027/139905/bbc-news-review-terms-of-reference.pdf

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Im not holding my breath tbh

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Also a pity the DUP won't be decimated at the next elections for going against the clear wishes of the NI population.
    It is only an opinion poll but here's hoping that they will be decimated!
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/irish-times-poll-northern-ireland-voters-do-not-want-dup-tory-brexit-1.3818264

May is to address her speech to the EU today. One of the few times her speeches have been targeted towards the other side in the negotiations. Probably the most significant time it shouldn't be.

Two and a half years since the referendum and she still doesn't know how to negotiate with the EU. Three weeks out and her man Cox(unelected bureaucrat) is proposing that the EU 'be reasonable'.

Is it really targeted at the EU? Sounds to me like just another one of her speeches were she tells the Tory party what it wants to hear, before going off and doing the exact opposite.

Remember, after her historic loss in January, she promised the HoC to go back to the EU to reopen the WA. Now she is left 'telling' the EU that they must come up with a solution, basically because she hasn't got any.

Taking back control by demanding that others sort out your problems!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

‘I very much want to be out of Europe’

The cognitive dissonance of some people is beyond belief.
    In Kilkeel, we have one of the largest fishing fleets in all of Ireland which exports to Asia and the Emirates. Why can’t that be replicated for high-end blinds and window dressings? When we’re out of Europe, we can get the best deal possible with other countries.

We have a large fishing fleet, so why can't we have a large presence for blinds and curtains? It's not like comparing apples and oranges, it's comparing fish with fabric!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Christy42 wrote: »

Not really. She knows most of the hundreds of thousands of people who served in the army or police in the North acted lawfully and properly, despite much intimidation and sometimes seeing their comrades blown up etc. As the Irish Times said "The IRA killed 1,696 people, the British army 299 and the RUC 56. In fact the IRA killed more Catholics than any of the Loyalist terror groups". She did not dismiss the murder of catholics completely. In fact her government spent £200 million on the last Bloody Sunday investigation. How much was spent investigating the murder of the two police officers (one Catholic and one Protestant) who were murdered in Derry just 3 days before Bloody Sunday? Now that was pre-meditated and planned murder, but not a mention of it or hundreds of other atrocities now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

We have a large fishing fleet, so why can't we have a large presence for blinds and curtains? It's not like comparing apples and oranges, it's comparing fish with fabric!

While at the same time they say things like this
    Are you examining new markets/suppliers and, if so, how practical is that?

No, not really. We have great relationships with some of our suppliers in the Republic.

Also not surprising to see the usual sovereignty garbage and "they need us more than we need them" etc.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Unbelievable stuff again on qt last nite.to watch rabb trying to weasel his way around his only realizing how vital dover/Calais was a site to behold.sure if they crash out so what and they need us more than them.the only impressive speaker was Margaret Beckett but to see the audience turn on her when telling a few him truths was unreal.if it wasn't so serious it would be hilarious or tragic or both

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Is it really targeted at the EU? Sounds to me like just another one of her speeches were she tells the Tory party what it wants to hear, before going off and doing the exact opposite.

Remember, after her historic loss in January, she promised the HoC to go back to the EU to reopen the WA. Now she is left 'telling' the EU that they must come up with a solution, basically because she hasn't got any.

Taking back control by demanding that others sort out your problems!

I genuinely do. I think it's desperation on her part now. Motivated by her trying to keep Tories together, but without any internal play possible because she's boxed herself in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

https://twitter.com/GuitarMoog/status/1103604982912303104

Peak brexit? The company hired to encourage foreign investment in the UK after Brexit is leaving for Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

If the EU does not agree to a deal, it will be erecting a hard border this side of the border. Nobody in these islands wants a hard border.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

I really liked this bit,
    I honestly believe there will be a free trade agreement between Europe and the UK. It’s in as much Europe’s interest – even more so – to have a deal with us as it is for us to have a deal with Europe.

The delusion is strong, he mentions sovereignty & the southern government too.

I'd definitely say that fella has a pragmatic view of the world and is definitely not the kind who would be willing to cut off his nose to spite his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

https://twitter.com/GuitarMoog/status/1103604982912303104

Peak brexit? The company hired to encourage foreign investment in the UK after Brexit is leaving for Europe

They're probably moving to Brussels to negotiate the easiest trade deals in history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I can understand why you might make that mistake but Mr. Cox is in fact both an elected MP AND the UK's Attorney General.

He is MP for Torridge and West Devon.

janfebmar wrote: »
    If the EU does not agree to a deal, it will be erecting a hard border this side of the border. Nobody in these islands wants a hard border.

The Eu has already agreed to a deal, it is the UK that has got back on its word.

But that happens in deals, but it is then up to the party that wants changes to put forward changes that both sides can agree on.

In this case it wants the EU to give up something but is unwilling, or unable, to offer anything in return.

The DUP are more than happy with a hard border, as are the ERG. Given the choice, both have stated over and over again that they will take a crash out (and thus a border) over the current deal.

• Advertisement

Winters wrote: »
    I can understand why you might make that mistake but Mr. Cox is in fact both an elected MP AND the UK's Attorney General.

He is MP for Torridge and West Devon.

Ah my mistake! I had wondered did the AG get speaking rights in the house or is that simply down to him being an MP?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement