Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

RobMc59 wrote: »
    How can you welch on a deal that was never in force?
    That depends on what you call the "deal" - Theresa may signed off on the WA draft and the general principles were signed off on by the cabinet. They are the ones who "welched" in the deal.
    Parliament was entitled to do what it did- although it was quite incompetent of Theresa May that it arrived at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

The department of foreign affairs identified early on that the issue of the border would cause havoc if it formed part of trade deal negotiations, that it would be used as a bargaining chip used by Westminster. Therefore it was of utmost importance that it did not and needed to be nailed down before trade negotiations commenced.

As events have proved this foresight has been proven 100% correct. That the UK has proven to be such a shambles has always been on the cards since their GE, just that the extent of it has caught people off guard.

The backstop is an absolute pre-require to trade talks, it actually protects both sides from the border being used against them.

The proof in the pudding is that whilst their is a lot of division and tension over a range of issues within the EU27, but not over Brexit, at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    What is more important, the GFA or the only avalable credible mechanism to protect the GFA?

How do you suppose the GFA can be protected without the backstop? Please, answer that one if you can.

He can't and they can't. Some people in the UK think an empire still exists and that they can do what they want simply because they're British. Unfortunately what they want is simply impossible to deliver. You cannot have a frictionless border or trade without a common set of rules, something the UK wants to leave.

I have no doubt we'll get no deal and a hard border and Rees-Mogg, Farage and co will be able to, successfully, blame the EU for the mess that happens post-Brexit.

Of course, ultimately Brexit could end up a success but that's extremely remote given that we have yet to hear a cohesive arguement from its supporters in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Has everyone seen this video doing the rounds of Corbyn at an Irish anti war movement meeting about the Lisbon treaty?

He lays his views out fairly straight, hard brexit here we go with this fella. :(

Jeremy Corbyn claimed he does “not want to live in a European empire of the 21st century” at a rally during the 2009 Irish referendum campaign.

https://www.theredroar.com/2019/02/exclusive-corbyn-branded-eu-military-frankenstein-and-trashed-second-irish-referendum-in-unearthed-footage/

*Much apologies if it has been posted already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    The department of foreign affairs identified early on that the issue of the border would cause havoc if it formed part of trade deal negotiations, that it would be used as a bargaining chip used by Westminster. Therefore it was of utmost importance that it did not and needed to be nailed down before trade negotiations commenced.

As events have proved this foresight has been proven 100% correct.

Hats off to them in fairness

• Advertisement

fash wrote: »
    How can you welch on a deal that was never in force?
    That depends on what you call the "deal" - Theresa may signed off on the WA draft and the general principles were signed off on by the cabinet. They are the ones who "welched" in the deal.
    Parliament was entitled to do what it did- although it was quite incompetent of Theresa May that it arrived at that point.
    The HoC, as is their right, refused to ratify the agreement made by the executive. Normally the process of ratification is a mere formality.

Twice, Ireland via referendum failed to ratify EU agrrements made by the Executive. Changes were made by the consent of the other EU countries and then were ratified via referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

What is more important, the GFA or the only avalable credible mechanism to protect the GFA?

How do you suppose the GFA can be protected without the backstop? Please, answer that one if you can.
    Certainty not with soldiers on a hard border-there is a difference of opinion in that you can either blindly adhere to EVERYTHING the EU say or you can question some of what they say-not every other EU country follows the EU line to the letter-may and co.are idiots but Ireland is painting itself into a corner where the reality of having to actually erect a hard border and police it are a reality.Regardless of what you think of me or my opinions I believe in the EU but don't think you have to slavishly adhere to everything that comes out of Brussels and I don't think they expect everyone to do that in truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,612 ✭✭✭✭Water John

History on this is interesting. Collins wanted to come back from Treaty negotiations to check would the Dail approve of it. Lloyd George told him to sign now or a terrible attrition would be visited on them.
    TM signed off on behalf of the people of the UK. With modern communications HOC should always have been kept fully briefed on talks, but then her own Cabinet didn't know.

Certainty not with soldiers on a hard border-there is a difference of opinion in that you can either blindly adhere to EVERYTHING the EU say or you can question some of what they say-not every other EU country follows the EU line to the letter-may and co.are idiots but Ireland is painting itself into a corner where the reality of having to actually erect a hard border and police it are a reality.Regardless of what you think of me or my opinions I believe in the EU but don't think you have to slavishly adhere to everything that comes out of Brussels and I don't think they expect everyone to do that in truth.

So you have no idea, just like Bit Cynical. Always moaning and questioning everything, but without a single idea between the pair of ye.

Answer the question he asked if you want to prove me wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Water John wrote: »
    History on this is interesting. Collins wanted to come back from Treaty negotiations to check would the Dail approve of it. Lloyd George told him to sign now or a terrible attrition would be visited on them.
    TM signed off on behalf of the people of the UK. With modern communications HOC should always have been kept fully briefed on talks, but then her own Cabinet didn't know.

The reason there is a government and then cabinets and negotiating teams is to prevent the need to have everyone involved at every step.

Management by committee is fine but nothing would ever get done if it was attempted on serious topics with large numbers of stakeholders.

• Advertisement

May deliberately kept just about everyone in the dark. Safe to say, this failure or failure to even attempt to bring along sufficient numbers in HoC, is the reason for the current impasse.

When no deal exit occurs, as seems likely, there'll be no transition period thus further weakening an already weak UK hand due to an astonishing inability to firmly articulate what they actually want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Tabloid waffle.

We are members of the EU. That means Ireland has signed 45 years worth of treaties.

Treaties that detail the roles and responsibilities of nations at the frontier of the European Union..

We are not creating a border but a frontier border is currently without a change in tack by the UK going to be forced upon us. That's the reality and when that happens we have a role to protect the integrity of the EU.

International treaties are something the Irish government takes seriously.

The UK would do well to do the same.

Now maybe you could put away the telegraph or log out from whatever site you're getting your Brexit material from and knock off the lowest common denominator sound bytes and editorial cliches

lawred2 wrote: »
    Tabloid waffle.

We are members of the EU. That means Ireland has signed 45 years worth of treaties.

Treaties that detail the roles and responsibilities of nations at the frontier of the European Union..

We are not creating a border but a frontier border is currently without a change in tack by the UK going to be forced upon us. That's the reality and when that happens we have a role to protect the integrity of the EU.

International treaties are something the Irish government takes seriously.

The UK would do well to do the same.

Now maybe you could put away the sun and knock off the lowest common denominator sound bytes and editorial cliches

Actually I wouldn't read the sun -apart from the fact it is virtually none existent on Merseyside

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Certainty not with soldiers on a hard border-there is a difference of opinion in that you can either blindly adhere to EVERYTHING the EU say or you can question some of what they say-not every other EU country follows the EU line to the letter-may and co.are idiots but Ireland is painting itself into a corner where the reality of having to actually erect a hard border and police it are a reality. Regardless of what you think of me or my opinions I believe in the EU but don't think you have to slavishly adhere to everything that comes out of Brussels and I don't think they expect everyone to do that in truth.

Much as I'm sure we all expected, the answer is no, you can't explain how we protect the GFA or avoid a hard border without the backstop.

You want to push a perspective that Ireland is slavishly adhereing to everything that Brussels says whereas the reality is far different. Ireland identified the border issue as being one of paramount importance to us from the outset. Brexit, in the absence of agreed arangements to prevent it, inevitably creates the conditions that require a hard border being enforced. Recognising this, Ireland has ensured that the Irish position on the border has been adoped by the EU. We need an arangement to protect the GFA and keep the border open or we are faced with a hard border. That we have succeeded in making the need for an open border a conditon for an orderly Brexit and a precondition for any trade agreement between the UK and the EU is a huge success for our forigen policy and dioplomatic efforts over the past two years.

We can't force the UK to accept an arangement that prevents the creation of a situation that requires a hard border, but we can make doing so as damaging as possible to the UK. If they go ahead anyway without agreeing an arangement that avoids the need for a hard border, regardless of the damage it causes them, then on what planet does it make sence that some other approch that does not require a legal guarantee over the border would successfully prevent the need for a hard border?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Actually I wouldn't read the sun -apart from the fact it is virtually none existent on Merseyside

In before my ninja edit with a rebuttal to the least relevant item

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,133 ✭✭✭✭briany

The only difference would have been the amount of time saved not having to go through the pantomime of the meaningful vote, knowing that the thing was going to crash and burn.

If there'd been a real-time input from the HoC, it would have gone like this,

May: OK, guys. Negotiated a deal. The EU want this, this & this

HoC: OK can live with that

May: And also the backstop...

HoC: Nah

May (to the EU): OK, so the lads back home are saying this backstop proposal
    won't fly.

EU: That's not negotiable

May: Not even a bit?

EU: .....no.

May: .....sh_t

So, either way we'd still arrive at the same impasse. And also the deal always was that the UK would dispatch a crack negotiating team to Brussels. No doubt that if they'd been able to bring back something the HoC could agree to, nobody would have criticised that system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

You've been posting here for long enough to know that [insert name of jingoistic rag here] headlines go down as well here as the Sun in Liverpool. So talk of 'the EU' doesn't carry the same rage inducing vitriol here that it does on your side of the water. Because in general, it's understood that we are 'the EU' and they are us.

I would suggest that the government, backed by the vast majority in the Dail, is fundamentally obliged to defend and promote Irish interests vis-a-vis the backstop. I would further suggest that it is British red lines that has boxed them into a corner. No other remotely credible alternatives to the backstop have been put forward to resolve the peace process and Brexit conundrum.

Additionally, our EU partners fully understand that once trade negotiations actually begin, Ireland will be taking the UKs side in many aspects of the negotiations.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    You've been posting here for long enough to know that [insert name of jingoistic rag here] headlines go down as well here as the Sun in Liverpool. So talk of 'the EU' doesn't carry the same rage inducing vitriol here that it does on your side of the water. Because in general, it's understood that we are 'the EU' and they are us.

Bit of a difference when you compare headlines about the EU to the sun printing lies about 96 poor souls that died at a football match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Even Peter Foster, of the Telegraph, appears exasperated with May at this stage:

http://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1092847023651516416

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭Mech1

demfad wrote: »
    I made this...if anyone fancies a laugh....

https://www.captiongenerator.com/1272822/Brexit-preparation

Going viral!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

Bit of a difference when you compare headlines about the EU to the sun printing lies about 96 poor souls that died at a football match.
    What do you want at this point. If there is a no deal we either have a complete destruction of all our industries or we have a border (or at least as soon as the UK deviates from the EU in terms of tariffs etc.). We might be able to sneak by for a bit but other countries (and I mean around the world) won't be happy with is flaunting WTO rules we are signed up for.

The only part of the WA the UK is currently arguing against is the soft border. If they want a hard border we can't stop them.

New ideas but right now the EU has been backing us. The backstop is there for us. Otherwise the EU could have simply cut us out of the single market and got on with the deal.

New ideas or stop with the meaningless phrases. What would you do. I want serious specifics here, not just "do a deal for no border".

No. They are all lies. And bad and all as the lies the Sun wrote were, they didn't put lives or livelihoods in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭ThePanjandrum

So you see Ireland as being part of a superstate rather than an independent country. It makes me wonder why so many lives were lost in the fight for independence if you don't really want it.

So you see Ireland as being part of a superstate rather than an independent country. It makes me wonder why so many lives were lost in the fight for independence if you don't really want it.
    If you're going to quote me, look at the context before you jump to conclusions about what I'm saying.

Hurrache wrote: »
    You keep mentioning "EU directives", what the "EU say". We're the EU, and as you know there's legal obligations that come with this.

You are part of the EU. You can find yourself with legal obligations placed upon you. Some of us have seen that the EEC and later the EU has developed and is continuing to develop in different ways to what we want and have decided that it is not the place for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Try harder

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

bobmalooka wrote: »
    Try harder

Don't post like this here again please. Serious discussion only.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

If you're going to quote me, look at the context before you jump to conclusions about what I'm saying.

You wrote

I really don't see that that changes the context.

• Advertisement

You wrote

I really don't see that that changes the context.
    What did I reply to? There's a thread of posts. That's the context.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement