Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Laois_Man wrote:
    "EU commits to give UK the option to exit the Single Customs Territory unilaterally, while the other elements of the backstop must be maintained to avoid a hard border".

The nuances of what Barnier said may elude you but I hope they are understood where it matters.

The UK is a single political entity. It is not the EU's business to tell it how to deal with its internal structures.

It is however the EU's right to remind the UK of its obligations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,622 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The man himself is in Dublin ATM, I suggest some here need to go over to him to check what he meant, or if going to the match tomorrow have a word with him there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Water John wrote: »
    The man himself is in Dublin ATM, I suggest some here need to go over to him to check what he meant, or if going to the match tomorrow have a word with him there.

There isn't any confusion here about what he meant - just annoyance of RTE's initial reporting of it.

Laois_Man wrote:
    There isn't any confusion here about what he meant - just annoyance of RTE's reporting of it.

You can edit your posts at your leisure so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Water John wrote: »

Had to laugh at the RTE article about that. Basically saying himself and Leo might discuss Brexit over a few pints.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    You can edit your posts at your leisure so.

You're so childish.....anyone who bothered to follow the conversation would have known the context of it. Anyone who didn't want to bother, didn't have to comment!

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Had to laugh at the RTE article about that. Basically saying himself and Leo might discuss Brexit over a few pints.

Makes one thankful that Juncker isn't going to be there!

Laois_Man wrote:
    You're so childish.....anyone who bothered to follow the conversation would have known the context of it. Anyone who didn't want to bother, didn't have to comment!

If you don't mean what you say, then maybe take the time you need to say what you mean.

That way we'll all be better off.

First Up wrote: »
    If you don't mean what you say, then maybe take the time you need to say what you mean.

That way we'll all be better off.

I meant exactly what I said!

Or maybe, when I refer to the EU, I should list out all 27 countries.....just to make it clear to you that I mean all of them and not just a portion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

The Telegraph goes full-blown No Deal advocate:

http://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1104499678928875522

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,622 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Baker and Dodds writing in The Telegraph that they won't support TM's vote on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Be careful what you wish for Torygraph...... The grass certainly aint greener on the other side.

I'm also thinking that at this point the UK needs to crash out not because I wish ill will on them (expecially the ones who certainly dont deserve it because they voted remain) but because their whole political system and the media need to be held to account and made to answer for the costs of their folly of inflicting such a devastating and costly policy on their own people and exploiting peoples ignorance and lack of knowledge on the whole subject to profit on their backs. There's a limit to the amount of ignorant stupidity one can listen to before thinking its better off just letting some of them suffer for their own folly as they have it coming to them if they refuse to listen.

The whole damn country is in need of serious reform at this point but it makes me think that people are going to have to suffer needlessly for this whole UK goverments incompetence before theres any realisation there of how stupid they've been. Would also love to see the likes of Moggs Farage and Boris thrown in the clink as i strongly suspect they're only pushing this for their own personal profit.

Laois_Man wrote:
    Or maybe, when I refer to the EU, I should list out all 27 countries.....just to make it clear to you that I mean all of them and not just a portion!

Entirely up to you. We'll work with whatever you post.

That article suggests they can use the £39 Billion divorce bill to give them a safety net of an extra 33 months preparation time.

I'd really like to see the maths on that!

Meanwhile, the French work-to-rule to highlight Brexit conditions will continue at least until Monday:

http://www.nord.gouv.fr/Actualites/A-la-une/Mouvement-social-douanier-Le-prefet-prolonge-les-mesures-de-gestion-du-trafic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,438 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Was there a poll or is this just a feeling in the editors water?

Was there a poll or is this just a feeling in the editors water?

A ComRes poll, but commissioned by Brexit Express - a classic case of finding a poll to fit the article - as, it must be admitted, pro-Remain papers have used People's Vote surveys.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭black forest

Everybody outside the UK knows where the blame lies. And every clear thinking human being within the UK as well. History will not be friendly with every single member of the HoC regardless of their party affiliation.

In the meantime some members of the EU are getting a bit impatient. Behind the scene there is quite a bit of mumbling. Not everybody is willing to give ones consent to every kind of extension.

https://openeurope.org.uk/today/blog/under-which-conditions-would-the-eu27-agree-to-an-article-50-extension/
    ... even if a limited Brexit delay is approved by Parliament, the proposal then needs to be agreed unanimously by all EU27 member states at the next European Council.
    However, there are different opinions across the EU27 about the reasons for which an extension could be desirable or allowed, as well as the possible length of any extension. Open Europe has looked at the statements and positions of all 27 member states to assess which conditions they may demand in exchange for agreeing an extension.

475053.jpeg

EU chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier said that if the UK requests a delay the EU27 will “immediately ask ‘What for’?” The answer that the UK provides to that question is likely to determine the length of the extension. For instance, if the extension is “technical” and serves the purpose of passing the necessary domestic legislation, it is most likely to be a short extension of weeks or months.
    Finally, there are figures such as Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel and Lithuanian President Dalia Grybauskaitė who have suggested that a No Deal Brexit could be better than continued uncertainty, if there is no valid reason for a delay. However, they are unlikely to veto an extension if the consensus among other member states is for one.
    Despite the different views held by different member states, any extension will be a common EU decision. There are broadly three motivations on the EU27 side:
    Avoiding the chaos of a No Deal exit at the end of March, while also avoiding any practical difficulties relating to the European Parliament elections. This lends itself to a short extension, which would have to have a clear purpose and would last no later than the end of June.
    A few member states also hold out limited hope that the political weather in the UK might change, towards either a much softer Brexit or a second referendum. This lends itself to a longer extension, beyond the European elections.
    Maximising pressure on UK MPs to vote for the deal. This lends itself to the threat of a longer extension, perhaps in the hope that MPs will reject this offer and back the deal instead.

The article is listing every single country with its motivation.

What i personally can not understand is the pure brazenness with which TM is holding 27 other sovereign states at ransom just to stumble around between the factions of her own government with nearly no chance to get out of the different quandaries. Sooner than later someone is pulling the plug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Everybody outside the UK knows where the blame lies. And every clear thinking human being within the UK as well. History will not be friendly with every single member of the HoC regardless of their party affiliation.

In the meantime some members of the EU are getting a bit impatient. Behind the scene there is quite a bit of mumbling. Not everybody is willing to give ones consent to every kind of extension.

The article is listing every single country with its motivation.

What i personally can not understand is the pure brazenness with which TM is holding 27 other sovereign states at ransom just to stumble around between the factions of her own government with nearly no chance to get out of the different quandaries. Sooner than later someone is pulling the plug.

The EU are right to be extremely wary of an extension. The risk of it blowing up in their face is big, probably well above 50%. They're dealing with a bunch of charlatans who cannot be trusted for a second.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I know that this is only two examples but I do think that they have merit...
    I've a friend from school living in the UK for about 30 years now and his understanding of the EU is based on the UK papers and quite different from reality. He does perceive them as being a bully.

I was out for a few beers in the local with a friend and his neighbour (who moved here from England about 20 years ago) recently. He claimed that he would have voted remain but...
    His knowledge of the EU was that the UK pay way more in than they get back out. He mentioned the foreigners coming into England (this from a Brit now living in Ireland! ), he mentioned the bullying over the backstop, a few times he mentioned the unelected bureaucrats. It was painful listening to his ignorance and trying to be diplomatic.

I wonder does "every clear thinking" person in England fully get it? I think the place is so toxic that its bound to have clouded most peoples judgement even just a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,326 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I predict the UK applying to rejoin within 10-15 years.

At this point, the UK will consist of England and Wales, and the main stumbling blocks to their application will be Spain demanding Gibraltar back, and Greece taking delivery of the Elgin Marbles.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I've a friend from school living in the UK for about 30 years now and his understanding of the EU is based on the UK papers and quite different from reality. He does perceive them as being a bully.

I was out for a few beers in the local with a friend and his neighbour (who moved here from England about 20 years ago) recently. He claimed that he would have voted remain but...
    His knowledge of the EU was that the UK pay way more in than they get back out. He mentioned the foreigners coming into England (this from a Brit now living in Ireland! ), he mentioned the bullying over the backstop, a few times he mentioned the unelected bureaucrats. It was painful listening to his ignorance and trying to be diplomatic.

I wonder does "every clear thinking" person in England fully get it? I think the place is so toxic that its bound to have clouded most peoples judgement even just a little.

If and when things go belly up in Britain (No Deal), the initial reaction will be one of being perplexed but it's going to dawn on even the most ignorant of voters that the country has messed up. It would be impossible to cover up a country that has descended into food shortages or civil disturbances on the streets and claim that invisible "EU people", who are nowhere to be seen anywhere in the UK, are causing the chaos.

The ignorance is dependent on there being a scapegoat, but if the scapegoat vanishes, things will really kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭black forest

Strazdas wrote: »
    The EU are right to be extremely wary of an extension. The risk of it blowing up in their face is big, probably well above 50%. They're dealing with a bunch of charlatans who cannot be trusted for a second.

Yes, that’s a real danger. Till now the EU had been quite cautious and i hope they stay that way. An extension without logical reason and something positive for both sides is just senseless. The only possible reason for the extrem variant with up to 21 month must be reserved for a second referendum maybe followed by a GE. The probability for that is quite low anyway.

Between the age of 14 to 21 i spent three wonderful holidays at UK´s southcoast. After i had finished school i was hitch hiking for a month aross the south and especially Cornwall. Very fond memories and always very friendly people. Even in the last few decades this has not changed. I have been over mostly for short work related stopovers but have still contact with one family.

Of course you are right. The media have a lot to answer. Not only for the last few years but for whole decades of building up the EU as a bogeyman. Having a look at the red tops with their hatred and blank lies is like looking at the propaganda at the end of the Weimarer Republic in Germany.

I really pity the average Joe in the UK who just wants to feed his family, have a pint in his local, have fun with his footsie club and may be drive his older BMW a little bit faster over the motorway once a week. He and his family dont have a chance. They can hardly leave their information cloud except for the yearly holidays at the Costa Sangria.

Sorry, got carried away. But as the thread was a bit loaded this evening it can only be a positive thing to remember the people influenced by all the politics. Tomorrow i will be back to facts again. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,805 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I wonder will Varadkar get anything from Trump next week...

Because that would kick Britain where it really hurts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I wonder will Varadkar get anything from Trump next week...

Because that would kick Britain where it really hurts.

Trump would love nothing more to reap privatisation rewards out of the UK. He has no love for anyone Ireland included

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The ignorance is dependent on there being a scapegoat, but if the scapegoat vanishes, things will really kick off.

The thing about scapegoats is that they rarely vanish. They don't even have to exist to be a useful scapegoat.

The people who still blame the EU for the lack of progress in the negotiations will continue to blame the EU if the UK leave on bad terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

If and when things go belly up in Britain (No Deal), the initial reaction will be one of being perplexed but it's going to dawn on even the most ignorant of voters that the country has messed up. It would be impossible to cover up a country that has descended into food shortages or civil disturbances on the streets and claim that invisible "EU people", who are nowhere to be seen anywhere in the UK, are causing the chaos.

The country (or at least the people therein) are already suffering food shortages and violence on the streets. None of it has anything to do with Brexit and everything to do with Tory governance. The voters don't care - they still returned the Tories to power and are prepared to do so again.

The 30th of March will dawn like any other day in Britain, deal or No Deal; there may or may not be delays at the Channel ports, but Dylan and Kylie in Essex/Sunderland/Durham/etc won't notice, and when they go to Tesco, there will still be food on the shelves.

Two years later, when they're getting their redundancy notices and/or having their house repossessed, they won't make the connection with Theresa May's red lines, or Dyson and JRM's hypocrisy, or Farage and Banks' illegal campaign funding. They'll have spent two years being fed yet more Europhobic headlines and no-substance articles by the media, and asked if they'd vote for Brexit again, they'll say "yes" because the EU is an evil empire ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,995 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

endacl wrote: »
    I predict the UK applying to rejoin within 10-15 years.

At this point, the UK will consist of England and Wales, and the main stumbling blocks to their application will be Spain demanding Gibraltar back, and Greece taking delivery of the Elgin Marbles.

:)

Any application to rejoin will have to contain a commitment to adopt the Euro (although for other countries it has not had a stated timeline)
    Can't see that going down too well :pac:

I'd say they will come crawling back but it'll be 30-40 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Any application to rejoin will have to contain a commitment to adopt the Euro (although for other countries it has not had a stated timeline)
    Can't see that going down too well :pac:

I'd say they will come crawling back but it'll be 30-40 years

I don't see how a commitment to appt the Euro would be a condition.

Sweden and Denmark will be two of the twenty seven without the Euro and they are not looking to get out.

The Euro has had its problems and will probably have more and to be honest is a very different and more complicated conversation to one of customs unions, free trade etc.

I doubt it would be a condition.

• Advertisement

I doubt it would be a condition.

Its a stated condition for new members.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement