Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: No more one-liners please. Posts deleted.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭briany

Inquitus wrote: »
    Got the popcorn, got the debate and vote on the TV, 150 vote loss predicted, then the HoC in utter chaos, what's not to like? Though hopefully this turns things in a better way for us, I am worried about a GE, Boris (or some other even worse Brexit loony) and a big Tory majority.

How would a hard Brexiteer get to become the leader of the Tories and PM? Are there not enough MPs in the Tories who think Brexit is a bad idea to block his ascent? (e.g. Dominic Grieve).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think this is going to be 100 plus of a margin for No.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Some ERG changed their minds during the vote, but still going to be over 100 against.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

242-391 to No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Wow. 149.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Who is this guy on sky news right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Round 1: May defeated 242-391. 149 Margin.

Now we move onto the next round of this endgame: Decide if they reject no deal without avoiding it (completely ignoring its the default unless A50 is withdrawn and this farce is ended). They still talking about an extention completely ignoring the small fact the EU has to agree (and doesnt have to if they dont give a damn good reason).

Hearing Teresa now she sounds pretty hoarse! O.o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

No surprise there

I think TM should walk now really

For her own health if anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

briany wrote: »
    How would a hard Brexiteer get to become the leader of the Tories and PM? Are there not enough MPs in the Tories who think Brexit is a bad idea to block his ascent? (e.g. Dominic Grieve).

If theres a leadership contest the parliamentary party chooses 2 candidates and the Tory party membership vote for the leader.

Could easily be a hard brexiteer as one of tge candidates

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Who is this guy on sky news right now?

Talking about monthy python

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

lawred2 wrote: »
    No surprise there

For her own sanity. Let one of the Brexiteers take this on. They're great at slinging from the sidelines. Make them own it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

---

Well that's big enough to sink May's battleship, what does she do now?

A free vote on a fundamental plank of government policy. Unprecedented

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭Enzokk

May saying she will let them vote on no-deal tomorrow. Free vote for the Tories on that tomorrow. She sounds terrible though, what a time to lose your voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Watching May is painful. She has been one of the worst PMs in history, but human empathy means I can’t help but feel sorry for her. Pathetic and wretched.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    For her own sanity. Let one of the Brexiteers take this on. They're great at slinging from the sidelines. Make them own it.

It almost certainly would be a Brexiteer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭briany

That's interesting - if the HoC votes against No Deal, it will be the government's policy to avoid one. What happens, then, if the Extension does not go through? If it's the government's policy to avoid No Deal, then will they, or can they, put forward a motion to revoke A50 altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Shelga wrote: »
    Watching May is painful. She has been one of the worst PMs in history, but human empathy means I can’t help but feel sorry for her. Pathetic and wretched.
    her task is impossible

Shelga wrote: »

I actually have a lot of sympathy for her.
    But she is the right person in the wrong time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,214 ✭✭✭✭rob316

May should of just resigned there and then, let someone else manage this mess.

This is just laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Mays wording for tomorrows vote and free vote is loading the dice in favour of a no deal brexit.

If the house vote to leave with no deal it's binding, but if tgey vote to reject No Deal (again) its not binding, and explicitly says so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

lawred2 wrote: »

This is the only job Theresa May has ever wanted. If you were in the only job you ever wanted would you give it up easily or voluntarily?

And remember, she can't be pushed for about another nine months. So they're stuck with her unless she resigns - and the lady is not for resigning.

I have sympathy alright but I wouldn't go so far as to ever say she is the right person for any time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

She should resign for her own health but anyone else is even less likely to pull the fat from the fire so riven is her party.

serfboard wrote: »
    This is the only job Theresa May has ever wanted. If you were in the only job you ever wanted would you give it up easily or voluntarily?

And remember, she can't be pushed for about another nine months. So they're stuck with her unless she resigns - and the lady is not for resigning.

THIS particular version of PM is not the job that anyone wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Whenever I feel sad for her I think of all the Windrush generation whole lives she has ruined and it disappears very quickly.

In any case, the SNP is calling for a second referendum and Labour a General Election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I honestly thought she was about to resign or withdraw A50 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Is a hard border looking more likely?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

There was no question May was going to lose this vote

There is also no question that tomorrow's vote will see the HoC reject the "No deal" option

The really interesting part comes after that and their stated reasons for requesting an Art. 50 extension....assuming they'll bother give some reasons.....which with the current British parliament might be a wild assumption!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

What do we think the numbers will be like for the options that May is putting on the table?

Surely they don't have enough to actively vote for no deal, even though it might happen by default?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement