Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

lawred2 wrote: »
    THIS particular version of PM is not the job that anyone wanted

If she didn't call the election she'd not have the issue of the DUP, which is her fault.

Forcing herself into this position by poor choisces earlier are her fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I dont feel sorry for her at all. She explicitly refused to say she will vote against no deal tomorrow. She's playing chicken with the future of the UK and the easiest thing in the world would be for her to announce that she will support a 2nd referendum between her deal and remain. That would take no deal off the table and end all this brinkmanship

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I actually have a lot of sympathy for her.
    But she is the right person in the wrong time.
    She is terrible.
    She is putting party before the people yet has no control over that party. She showed absolute naivety by calling a GE and by triggering Art 50 before it was decided what she wanted.
    She is only still in the role because the leader of the opposition is worse than her.
    I've absolutely no sympathy for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

gooch2k9 wrote:
    For her own sanity. Let one of the Brexiteers take this on. They're great at slinging from the sidelines. Make them own it.

To be fair for all the mistakes she has made I hope she goes for her own sake. She has no authority and is pm only in name. It's painful watching her. She has been completely out of her depth. However the more it goes on I think she is typical of the current set of politicians the UK have and how little they understand the EU. This has turned into a monty python sketch long ago. Barnier's recent tweet being only another example of how out of touch most of them are. A question for people who know UK politics better was there anyone who who could have done a better job? or is May that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

Both leaders are just awful, out of their depth, never can I remember such a time when both leaders were so poor, Corbyn has for so long failed to capitalise on a weakened conservative party and is just not fitting as a leader

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Akrasia wrote: »
    I dont feel sorry for her at all. She explicitly refused to say she will vote against no deal tomorrow. She's playing chicken with the future of the UK and the easiest thing in the world would be for her to announce that she will support a 2nd referendum between her deal and remain. That would take no deal off the table and end all this brinkmanship

May pandered to the Eurosceptics with her red lines. She's been hoisted with her own petard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭trashcan

Corbyn is right I think. They need an election. His proposal of a kind of semi-detached Brexit (staying in customs union and single market) would be the best option(other than staying in of course).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Jean-Claude Juncker said there wouldn't be a third run of the deal in a tweet shared earlier in this thread. It must surely be dead now. She can't possibly request an extension without any sort of justification for it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

Graham Brady proud to say he will be voting for No Deal. Probably be re-elected with a larger majority next time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Labour/Corbyn's dithering serves a purpose. If Britain crashes out the CONs will take the blame leaving Labour to promise a new Britain in the wake of Brexit allowing it to reorganise the British economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Could you imagine Labour with Starmer in charge? He would have demolished May week in week out at PMQs.

Late to the game on this but I was impressed by him alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Gintonious wrote: »

That guy has done nothing to help the situation in the UK. No deal is the best solution all around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Nobody else wants her job.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Late to the game on this but I was impressed by him alright.

People are living a fantasy to think labour have any hope. Election now will see a huge tory and brexit parties majority and with a new leader like Raab the kinda team that needs to sit and look Barnier in the eye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

SNIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

By giving her fellow Tories a free vote tomorrow, May has virtually guaranteed a no deal Brexit. Disgraceful retreating move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

That guy has done nothing to help the situation in the UK. No deal is the best solution all around.

It's not his job to "help the situation in the UK" :rolleyes:

But it is his job to look after our interests, and if that means telling it like it is so that everyone in the UK knows what's coming, then he's doing what he's paid to do.

Gintonious wrote: »
    SNIP.

Long term it is also in Ireland interest for the UK to leave no deal. A neighbour like the UK trapped in the EU against its will is a bad bad bad situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

That guy has done nothing to help the situation in the UK.

Au contraire. They've been very patient with T-May knowing she's trying to herd cats back home and that she's created herself a cage of red lines.
    No deal is the best solution all around

For who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,047 ✭✭✭✭listermint

People are living a fantasy to think labour have any hope. Election now will see a huge tory and brexit parties majority and with a new leader like Raab the kinda team that needs to sit and look Barnier in the eye

Absolute fantasy land.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Don't get personal please. A post has been snipped.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

I'm just wondering. The Dail sometimes works into the wee hours to get legislation sorted. Why is there no hurry on in the UK like this? Dragging these out over multiple days is simply wasting more time.

That's not even addressing the fact they aren't really working Friday.

It's not his job to "help the situation in the UK" :rolleyes:

But it is his job to look after our interests, and if that means telling it like it is so that everyone in the UK knows what's coming, then he's doing what he's paid to do.

What is coming?.. Then threats seem to flow free and fast with the EU. No nation should bow-to threats, they must be headed straight on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Are you going to give any facts and details this time around? Easy one for you, why is a no deal best all around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

It's a fantasy if you still think the EU will shift. How many times does the EU need to say the same thing before it sinks in.

Hmm. Influential German MEP on EU Brexit committee saying that they won't get more than 2 months. Threatening a No Deal. Looks pretty angry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Labour/Corbyn's dithering serves a purpose. If Britain crashes out the CONs will take the blame leaving Labour to promise a new Britain in the wake of Brexit allowing it to reorganise the British economy.
    Burning it all down so that he can build his utopia on the ashes isn't exactly the caring Labour I thought it was.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Oh I see now

You are on the wind up. Got it. Say no more.

Posted here a while. Strong anti EU feelings are met with some sort of disbelief here. I see the short term pain of brexit as a massive long term gain for mankind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement