Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

That guy has done nothing to help the situation in the UK. No deal is the best solution all around.

The situation in the UK is one of their own making not the EU's. Incompetence, Idiocy and Ignorance are the order of the day they have one job and they can't even do that right (an orderly withdrawal). There's only so much one can do before finding it's much better to cut em loose than continue with this farce. They've refused to agree so the ONLY option I can see at this point is that they either leave or abandon this: Withdraw A50 and just have a 2nd referendum if needs be. The EU should be clear with them: Make a decision and live with it, stop evading your responsibilities, stop grandstanding for personal gain, do your job and take responsibility for the governance of your country not play games. Otherwise Go, just go and be done with it.

No deal hits us hard but we not only can work our way through it, we can make sure that Britain will get a hard time for causing such a mess up North on us until they get their act together. We didnt ask for this but no way should we just think they can cause damage to us needlessly and pointlessly for such a vainglorious project and not expect us to take it lying down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

People are living a fantasy to think labour have any hope. Election now will see a huge tory and brexit parties majority and with a new leader like Raab the kinda team that needs to sit and look Barnier in the eye

I never said they have any hope, you'll have seen me repeatedly posting the contrary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Hmm. Influential German MEP on EU Brexit committee saying that they won't get more than 2 months. Threatening a No Deal. Looks pretty angry.

Ouch that was scathing, either sort it out with Corbyn in the next 2 weeks or off you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Get Real

By giving her fellow Tories a free vote tomorrow, May has virtually guaranteed a no deal Brexit. Disgraceful retreating move.

I agree. Alot of commentators talking as if No Deal won't pass. Why wouldn't it?

At this late stage, I think it could pass as politicians won't want to stomach the idea of telling the country that the nightmare will be extended once again. Besides, if its extended, for what reason is it extended? EU were pretty final about it.

Nobody knew/knows what the f they want. It's too divided. Brexit itself has multiple different versions/means different things to different sections of the electorate. So I think the red button could be pressed tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Burning it all down so that he can build his utopia on the ashes isn't exactly the caring Labour I thought it was.

At this point it might be Britain's only hope. The Tories will return Britain to the Victorian era if they get a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That guy has done nothing to help the situation in the UK. No deal is the best solution all around.

usual contribution from yourself

it's not his job to help the situation in the UK.. you do know that right? His job was to help negotiate a deal within the red lines laid down by the UK.

He did that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Hmm. Influential German MEP on EU Brexit committee saying that they won't get more than 2 months. Threatening a No Deal. Looks pretty angry.

Please please please Mr angry German MEP follow through on your threats. In all seriousness most of these German MEPs they find are as fringe clowns as the likes of Batten or Ming.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Please please please Mr angry German MEP follow through on your threats. In all seriousness most of these German MEPs they find are as fringe clowns as the likes of Batten or Ming.

Mod: If you aren't going to add anything constructive to this thread, you will be banned. Final warning.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

This is baffling politics. 391 mps voted against the deal but from diametrically opposed positions.
    They must surely know nothing more is coming from the EU so voting against this deal de facto approval for leaving with no deal.
    Others are voting no in the hope of delaying brexit possibly getting another referendum.
    I'm surprised there wasn't fisty cuffs in the no lobby.
    Has ever happened before so many people voting the same but for totally different reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone who thinks Labour under Corbyn will the a winners from all this clearly has not been reading the evidence book. The public regards Labour's position/non position on Brexit as far worse along with not trusting the current "Trot" leadership one iota. Obviously while both parties deserve to be wiped out in the next GE neither will be and the Tories would actually win (well win more seats anyway). Which is astonishing to consider.

• Advertisement

At this point it might be Britain's only hope. The Tories will return Britain to the Victorian era if they get a chance.

Maybe Victorian levels of growth. Slash regulation and taxes...slash slash slash. The sole reason the EU won't budge on the backstop is to trap the UK in the CU as they know the UK will make mincemeat of them in a competitive market out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Posted here a while. Strong anti EU feelings are met with some sort of disbelief here. I see the short term pain of brexit as a massive long term gain for mankind.

Can you tell us more about this part?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,981 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Theresa May has done everything she can to get her deal over the line. EU helped also. Cox fecked it IMO. But he is supposed to be impartial AFAIK.

Anyway, there will be no good outcome here. As I posted last night, May should just resign and feck off up the Alps and let someone from the oppose everything crowd take over the debacle.

But then again she is dogged and determined, and will probably keep going no matter what. I admire her for her tenacity and determination, but for not much else really. There comes a time when the PM should look at what is best for the country, not the party.

I just cannot see an extension (if granted) meaning a whole lot really.

So as predicted, it may very well be a No Deal, something that very few in Parliament want?

But I am still baffled at to what the actually DO WANT. If anyone can help, that would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

No deal vote wins tomorrow.

Extension vote passes, EU says NON!

Parliament has blocked no deal. Parliament doesn't accept current deal.

Logically and legally does that mean an Article 50 revocation is unavoidable?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

dresden8 wrote: »

Good point. That or crash out by default.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yeah EU looks likely to reject any extension the UK propose. What is worse than an embarrassment of a ****show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

But I am still baffled at to what the actually DO WANT. If anyone can help, that would be great.

There is division within divisions for both the Tories and Labour, there is no consensus on what the UK wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Honestly I can understand the frustration. Fact's, Pragmatism and Responsibility have been thrown out the window in favour of pointless grandstanding and endless egotism and misinformation. I would be honest they should refuse any extension to be honest and just let them crash out. One point I seen is that we got elections on the continent (maybe one here as well at some point) as well as the EU elections and there's going to be too much going on to keep entertaining these snake oil brexiteer salesmen. They have to decide one and for all. Leave or Stay. Choose and be done with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Nigel Dodds talking about stormont as if it's up and running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Default crash out is a no deal crashout. Forbidden by Parliament.

Is this the great gamble and end game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

Ii would be surprised if the EU caved at this stage and offered a better deal, from my limited understanding I thought iy was a good deal that was on the table, the EU cannot be seen to give too much away as it creates a dangerous precedent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,993 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No. I wouldn't think so. Their Parliament saying they don't want "no deal" is just another example of them saying what they don't want rather than what they want.

Brexit means Brexit out on their arses on 29th March is the default position unless something else happens. Doesn't matter what the talk about internally in their own parliament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

Maybe Victorian levels of growth. Slash regulation and taxes...slash slash slash. The sole reason the EU won't budge on the backstop is to trap the UK in the CU as they know the UK will make mincemeat of them in a competitive market out there.

Libertarian nonsense. That explains the username.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

No chance of the EU rejecting an extension request.

Ireland will support it, and a No Deal crash out hits Ireland worse than any member state.

Rejecting an extension request would allow the DUP, ERG et. al continue to play the 'intransigent EU' card, and wax on about the bullies in Brussels. EU not that stupid.

We're looking at an extension and more months of Westminster trying to put off facing reality.

Gintonious wrote: »
    Can you tell us more about this part?

I see the anti-Democratic and anti-competition the EU club has become. I am seriously concerned about its protectionist nature and its drive for centralisation. They have made no secret of their plans for a federal Europe and a single army. Merkel yesterday even suggested an EU aircraft carrier. I find this profoundly alarming and hope great nations like the US and the UK will put a stop to this expansionary ideas. I see Brexit as a significant step towards the ultimate break up of the EU to a free trade club is 28 nations with standards. That's it, that all it should ever be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,981 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

How would that happen if Parliament voted against No Deal. Do you mean that because EU refuse to carry on the debacle (no extension), that UK will just HAVE to leave with no deal.

My apologies, it is difficult to keep up sometimes. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Nigel Dodds is funny. Strongly says that you don't want to the take the threat of No-Deal off the table. Oblivious to the fact that the EU don't see it as a threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Default crash out is a no deal crashout. Forbidden by Parliament.

Is this the great gamble and end game?

As I understand it, if they don't revoke A50 then they automatically leave whether they voted against leaving or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Theresa May has done everything she can to get her deal over the line. EU helped also. Cox fecked it IMO. But he is supposed to be impartial AFAIK.

Anyway, there will be no good outcome here. As I posted last night, May should just resign and feck off up the Alps and let someone from the oppose everything crowd take over the debacle.

But then again she is dogged and determined, and will probably keep going no matter what. I admire her for her tenacity and determination, but for not much else really. There comes a time when the PM should look at what is best for the country, not the party.

I just cannot see an extension (if granted) meaning a whole lot really.

So as predicted, it may very well be a No Deal, something that very few in Parliament want?

52/48 was never going to end well when you think about it. Especially when Brexit was nothing to do with left or right, rich or poor, white or non-white, educated or non-educated.
    The Brexit cult continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Popeleo wrote: »
    Libertarian nonsense. That explains the username.

Sky and journalists seem hell bent no deal will be taken off the table , what is the consensus here it seems the opposite.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement