Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

So May defeated again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

321 v 278 - the whips whipped!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Jeez. The Tories need new whips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Wow, that's astounding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

The amended motion they just voted on looked like the exact same thing they voted on 15 minutes before that?? Same wording?

I’m hugely confused, Ted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Hurrache wrote: »
    So May defeated again?

I'm confused, this was all a waste of everyone's time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

They're shouting at her to resign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Slim majority but May is totally goosed. She hasnt got the semblance of any control over her own party and half her cabinet will probably resign

If there is a motion tomorrow to withdraw A50 I think it might pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Cabinet resignations so?
    Parliament trying to take some control but it changes nothing as May and her government is on the exact same course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

May looks like she has aged 10 years since Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,606 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A Referendum she says would damage trust.
    That's nuts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

How many times has this "Second referendum would damage trust" trope going to be dropped? This has been happening regularly with the Iraq War, austerity, MPs' expenses and the referendum of 2016.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So all the EU does is refuse an extension and they are bound to revoke A50?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Shelga wrote: »
    The amended motion they just voted on looked like the exact same thing they voted on 15 minutes before that?? Same wording?

I’m hugely confused, Ted.

They voted to amend the motion. The motion then changed and thus it is not what the government wanted as it has been changed, that is why May whipped against it.

But she voted against taking no-deal off the table and I am sure she will have some plan up her sleeve to try and get her deal through, even after the Speaker has confirmed earlier that she cannot bring another vote for her deal without changing it. She cannot change it much as the EU might not agree to the changes, so it really is a mess.

Water John wrote: »
    A Referendum she says would damage trust.
    That's nuts.

She was jeered when she said that, and rightly so. Her treatment of parliament is a contempt for democracy

lawred2 wrote: »

The vote today is not legally binding there can still be no deal through inaction.

And Corbyn now comes in to offer more unicorns. The EU are not open for negotiations anymore. That ship sailed months ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

tuxy wrote: »
    The vote today is not legally binding there can still be no deal through inaction.

Fairly pointless so

Good speech by Corbyn.

Good speech by Corbyn, in fairness. Hope he rises to the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Jeez. The Tories need new whips.

The Tories need a new leader and a thorough clear-out of their back benches.

The Tories need a new leader and a thorough clear-out of their back benches.

Any day now. Hopefully.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd say May is planning a third run on her deal. She has no other option.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Fairly pointless so

Not totally, it shows what parliament wants and that Tories are willing to rebel to avoid no deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Lads as it stands...they dont want the WA May and EU have on the table, they dont want to leave without a deal and the EU have said the WA is the only deal on offer.....

Where to hell do they think they are going from here????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

I think the EU should be a little more subtle than that, don't make it harder for your opposit number to do what you want them to do. Allow an extnesion with good grace, the problems the UK faces won't go away in a few months. Once they extend they will never build up the nerve to go for a no-deal. It may take a few extensions to get there, but once the 29th of March passes with no Brexit then I think Brexit is well and truely dead.

Bercow might stymie that.

ERG and DUP are cornered. Back TM or it will be a soft Brexit.
    Bercow shoots down Mogg, whose making the point it was not law only an indicitive vote. Bercow points out that parliamentarians know how to move from the motion into law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

ERG are cornered to back it now Sky are saying. There had been rumblings of it being run tomorrow again, but I didn't get that impression from May there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

tuxy wrote: »
    Not totally, it shows what parliament wants and that Tories are willing to rebel to avoid no deal.

They should have done that yesterday. Is a little late to do so now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement