Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

tuxy wrote: »
    And the description that says it's a parody account?
    I agree it is very easy to miss all these things if you are looking to be outraged!

Or if you don't read the description . It's an easy mistake to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It's an interesting poll all the same. Couple of questions struck me. Asked if they thought the Irish government's actions have been helpful, 48% agreed, with 11% in the don't know camp. On the other hand, asked if the DUP's tactics have been correct, only 26% agreed with 7% don't know.

The level of details available is very interesting, for example only half of Unionists thing the DUP's tactics around Brexit are correct while almost no Nationalists or Neutrals agree with the DUP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Infini wrote: »
    Let's be fair in regards to their view's on the DUP's tactics they're not all fools and ideologues I would be suprised that many realise the DUPs anti's are totally counterproductive and that "Send em to the chippy" comment from Sammy won't go down well. Just show's how they treat their voters with utter contempt. I wouldn't be suprised if there's a few thinking about a UI and pondering how it will work out for them.
    It kind of indicates to me that the DUP could well be standing on shifting sands. And don't realise it. But it needs a viable alternative to them for the next election. Because unionists need credible representation and it's starting to look (if it ever did) as though the DUP are not providing that. Even downcow has admitted as much. Although he'll probably be along to deny that any moment now. ;)

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    The level of details available is very interesting, for example only half of Unionists thing the DUP's tactics around Brexit are correct while almost no Nationalists or Neutrals agree with the DUP.
    I'd like to meet the 3% of republicans/nationalists who agree with them. :D

But yes, that's a bit startling alright. And 28% strongly disagree with their approach. Do the DUP take any notice of these polls?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

But yes, that's a bit startling alright. And 28% strongly disagree with their approach. Do the DUP take any notice of these polls?

Very confused individuals, though there is a small segment of republicens who are very socially conservative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

To be honest all evidence paint's them as a group of incompetents and idiots who simply do not bother to do basic research or even think ahead. They're a bunch of "rabble rabble" populists who blame everyone else for their problems but deny any of their own just like the cash for ash scandal.
    It kind of indicates to me that the DUP could well be standing on shifting sands. And don't realise it. But it needs a viable alternative to them for the next election. Because unionists need credible representation and it's starting to look (if it ever did) as though the DUP are not providing that. Even downcow has admitted as much. Although he'll probably be along to deny that any moment now. ;)

If there's one thing in any crisis its that any party no matter who they are always get the boot when they affect the pocket of the ordinary joe. Brexit will devalue peoples money and savings, cause food and fuel prices to rocket and create chaos that did not need to happen at all. Should that happen people will start asking questions about the people they voted for, the likes of the DUP are toxic and unfit for government I can only hope enough people up there realise this and stop voting for them and for people who actually give a damn about their communities.

A UI is a definite possibility out of all this and truthfully it will be because of the DUP and the conservatives incompetence. I dont believe the irony will be lost on any of them up there that their handling of this whole fiasco brings it about. A UI is also something unique to NI as well as by voting for it the people up there can reverse the effects of Brexit at least for themselves and not be tied to the sinking ship that is a dysfunctional UK and their failing political system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

The UK is not our biggest trading partner, it's not even our second biggest trading partner.

I'm sure our round and round friend knows that is the case from previous incarnations on this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Or if you don't read the description . It's an easy mistake to make.

It is and that is the reason why there is so much mis-information and manipulation going on. My wife will say to me, such and such happened... I will ask are you reading that on Facebook or Twitter? People need to be very sceptical about what is on social media, mainstream media and, after last nights farce on Question Time, what was once trusted media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Def heard a note of fear in Dodd’s comments earlier. Trying to convince himself that may world never abandon the dup for a consensus vote with Labour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

He answered directly to me that he 'hated the DUP'.

On the subject of representation the UUP are far to quiet on this. This should be an opportunity for a UUP leader to be very prominent, but they aren't.

It's not helped that they're being led by a guy with all the charisma of woodchip wallpaper.

They need Nesbitt back. He should never have resigned. The hay they could be making.

• Advertisement

It's not helped that they're being led by a guy with all the charisma of woodchip wallpaper.

They need Nesbitt back. He should never have resigned. The hay they could be making.
    It's like Westminster in microcosm. No opposition anywhere to be found and the lunatics are running around with pencils up their noses gibbering about fantasies.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,805 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

"I AM THE EU" says Varadkar according to a certain British tabloid

He didn't actually say that today, did he!?

Ah no...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭briany

Def heard a note of fear in Dodd’s comments earlier. Trying to convince himself that may world never abandon the dup for a consensus vote with Labour

If the DUP didn't consider that May might actually go cross-party, then their blinkers are even bigger than I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,438 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It's like Westminster in microcosm. No opposition anywhere to be found and the lunatics are running around with pencils up their noses gibbering about fantasies.

By bribing the DUP the Tories effectively created those who wish to remain as the 'opposition' and they are standing full square between the entire UK and a deal and may yet force a revocation of the whole idea.

Any sign of a video? Would love to see that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ah no...

Fairly sure it would have been "we are the EU" or something like that

briany wrote: »
    If the DUP didn't consider that May might actually go cross-party, then their blinkers are even bigger than I thought.
    It's like a bizarre Mexican standoff. The DUP have a gun pointed at May's head, the Conservatives have a gun pointed at their own heads and May has a sleeping Jeremy Corbyn's gun pointed at the DUP's head.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

Ah no...
    I am going to hazard a guess that he has not gone full Emporer Palpatine.

Plus if you doubt all tabloid stories you will be right more often than not.

Christy42 wrote: »
    I am going to hazard a guess that he has not gone full Emporer Palpatine.

Plus if you doubt all tabloid stories you will be right more often than not.

He actually did say it :pac:

https://twitter.com/Stella_Vaskoudi/status/1093944237735989248

Distorted of course, still a strange line though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,438 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The same thing has been said over and over here. 'I' - 'we'- are the EU.

• Advertisement

Is there anything surprising there? We've been shouting "We are the EU" in here for nigh on 3 years too!

What question was he asked does anyone know?

He actually did say it :pac:

https://twitter.com/Stella_Vaskoudi/status/1093944237735989248

Distorted of course, still a strange line though
    Oh dear. What will Leo do when it's all over and he's out of the limelight. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

As Varadkar is the new EU, surely now he 'expense' a new €100bn oversea floating/land bridge to France, would be handy for a jaunt down the cost d'azur.
    France can chip in 80% for it, Germany the other 20% in exchange for a free flowing tap of Guinness at point of entry for all EU visitors to fill their glasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭alloywheel

The UK is not our biggest trading partner, it's not even our second biggest trading partner.

You are wrong again, not surprising considering the amount of anti-UK propoganda we are subject to in Ireland.

The UK is our biggest import partner.
    1 UK 18,868 million 24
    2 USA 16,368 million 21
    3 France 10,500 million 13
    4 Germany 6,890 million 9
    5 China 4,424

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-ti/irelandstradeingoods2017/toptradingpartners2017/

In terms of exports the UK is our second biggest.

Below is a list showcasing 15 of Ireland’s top trading partners in terms of Irish export sales. That is, countries that imported the most Irish shipments by dollar value during 2017. Also shown is each import country’s percentage of total Irish exports.

United States: US$36.1 billion (26.8% of total Irish exports)
    United Kingdom: $18.3 billion (13.5%)
    Belgium: $15 billion (11.1%)
    Germany: $10.8 billion (8%)
    Switzerland: $7 billion (5.2%)
    Netherlands: $6.7 billion (4.9%)
    France: $5.9 billion (4.3%)
    China: $4.8 billion (3.6%)

http://www.worldstopexports.com/irelands-top-import-partners/

alloywheel wrote: »
    You are wrong again, not surprising considering the amount of anti-UK propoganda we are subject to in Ireland.

The UK is our biggest import partner.
    1 UK 18,868 million 24
    2 USA 16,368 million 21
    3 France 10,500 million 13
    4 Germany 6,890 million 9
    5 China 4,424

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-ti/irelandstradeingoods2017/toptradingpartners2017/

In terms of exports the UK is our second biggest.

Below is a list showcasing 15 of Ireland’s top trading partners in terms of Irish export sales. That is, countries that imported the most Irish shipments by dollar value during 2017. Also shown is each import country’s percentage of total Irish exports.

United States: US$36.1 billion (26.8% of total Irish exports)
    United Kingdom: $18.3 billion (13.5%)
    Belgium: $15 billion (11.1%)
    Germany: $10.8 billion (8%)
    Switzerland: $7 billion (5.2%)
    Netherlands: $6.7 billion (4.9%)
    France: $5.9 billion (4.3%)
    China: $4.8 billion (3.6%)

http://www.worldstopexports.com/irelands-top-import-partners/

Actually if you take the EU as a whole because it's a single trading bloc, that is 2nd largest trading partner for Ireland behind the United States. UK is 3rd.

Actually if you take the EU as a whole because it's a single trading bloc, that is 2nd largest trading partner for Ireland behind the United States. UK is 3rd.

The UK is still part of the EU and the UK is the jurisdiction / country from whom we import the most. Fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The UK is still part of the EU and the UK is the jurisdiction / country from whom we import the most. Fact.

Your doing it again.

Our trade with the UK is down double percentage points

This stuff is incredibly embarrassing. You realise these posts stay here, right ?

And??? That undermines your point because it means the UK has a massive trade surplus with Ireland.

Thus the country first effected by disruption is in fact the UK, not Ireland.

EDIT - the trade surplus is £12.2bn!

listermint wrote: »
    Your doing it again.

Our trade with the UK is down double percentage points

This stuff is incredibly embarrassing. You realise these posts stay here, right ?

I showed you the link from our own cso, and I provided you with the figures. It may be down but it is still the country from whom we import the most. We also get the most tourists from the UK, by far.

In Overseas Visitors to the Republic of Ireland
    Rank Country Percentage
    1 United Kingdom 41.6%
    2 United States & Canada 17.5%
    3 Germany 6.0%
    4 France 5.2%

Now that Leo has insulted them so much, I do not think we will get as many UK visitors this year. Maybe they will come from Luxemburg instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I see it's that time of night again when common sense goes out the window for a few hours.

I hope someone is off to the pub or having an early night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement