Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modifying the Lidl greenhouse to survive a gust of wind

Options
  • 02-02-2019 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭

Lidl usually sell a 1.2mtr x 1.2mtr plastic greenhouse at the start of each growing season that is reasonable value to get plants started early or boosted during the Summer season for what might be a reasonable price. They may last a season maybe two if you are lucky or they may only last a day if you are really unlucky (I was) and a sudden violent wind storm (Doris) destroys it.

You will need the following items:
    1. A straight length of bamboo cane of 1.2 meters or longer.
    2. Duct tape
    3. Steel core clothes line (i.e. encased in plastic)
    4. 8 x short lengths (450-500mm) of timber or metal poles to act as stakes.
    5. A club hammer or suitable implement to drive the stakes into the ground.
    6. A sharp knife to cut the duct tape and clothes line.

Ideally place the greenhouse in a sunny sheltered spot in your garden or plot. I am fortunate in having south-west facing wall at one side of the wall which provides some shelter.

Assemble the greenhouse following the instructions that come with the kit, however before you put the cover on make the following changes:

Using duct tape bind the metal connectors that make the roof supports since these tend to apart due to the rocking motion generated by wind gusts causing the plastic to cave in at the top.

24o8yn9.jpg

Next cut the bamboo cane to size to fit between the apex of the struts and bind it in place with duct tape. This is to prevent having the top caving in due to rain water pooling on top and the metal that Lidl supply to tie them together will bend.

ek57uo.png

Next fit the plastic cover and move the greenhouse into final position on the ground you have already prepared. Internally drive 4 stakes at the base of each corner of the greenhouse being careful not to damage the plastic. You will then tie each stake to the vertical metal support using the clothes line wire cut to measure. This is to help prevent the greenhouse from shifting around in the wind and hold it down in case the wind gust pressure changes causing the plastic to be sucked up into the air.

Finally drive 4 stakes externally around the greenhouse into the ground. you can either drill a hole in each or cut a groove in the timber so the clothes line that you use to tie down the greenhouse remains in place.

And finally you can also the clothes line to tie around the centre to restrict the plastic from expanding and contracting as the wind gusts blow. You will have to undo this to get into the greenhouse so make it easy to untie.

I can't guarantee that the Lidl greenhouse will survive the growing season but at least it won't get blown away by the first gust of wind that comes along. Mine did survive Storm Ophelia without any damage.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Comments

Advertisement