Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residential care shift work

Options
  • 02-02-2019 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I am currently working 4 long days a few overnights in residential care. I have never worked a Friday Saturday or Sunday for 8 years. I work hard never miss my shifts or am late. Do more than my colleagues on other shifts. I have a young family and really enjoy spending weekends with them.
    I am looking for advice as management have decided to change shift patterns and keep hours the same. They have spread my shift patterns over the weekend, with some random days off during the week. The rota looks unworkable for me and all other staff being asked to change. A soloution was found by our immediate line manager with various small tweaks and changes to which everyone aggreed and was happy with. Management ( along with their ego) appear to know best and will not allow it.
    The union has been called and there are meetings happening soon. I do not hold out much hope of maintaining my current hours as the manager in charge is not a person who likes their authority questioned.
    Has anyone any advice or help or tips and tricks I could use to try to keep my hours the same ?
    I am new here but it was recommended by a friend as a great place for advice.
    Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Does your contract quote only the specific days you’ve been working?
    If not there wont be much you can do as management will do whats best for the business. Given the role, and the hours you are contracted p/w they can get you to do any days they want once sufficient notice is given. If it doest suit you then theyll let you know where the door is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jasonc90

That's what all my research has lead me to believe, my contract is a catch all one the last line saying something about owning my sole🙄. Thanks for the quick reply. Any ideas how I could at least try to get favourable hours as I believe it's really counterproductive to engage with staff in such a handsoff way.
    It is after all the 'care' industry I work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

My opinion, ride the new schedule out until either
    A: things settle and you/your colleagues/line manager can come to a solution after management have made whatever point
    B: you decide to leave, and it might be possible theyre cutting budget and hoping this will happen!

Advertisement