Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v England 4:45 Aviva Stadium

1272829303133»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭BAM! uhavechlamydia

I'm actually going to regret saying this...
    but with Zebo's form in France, and at least 2 more seasons with Racing... there's a chance he'll go on a Lion's tour before he plays for Ireland again

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Pussyhands wrote: »
    The box kicks are ****e when you have midgets like Earls and Larmour chasing them, Henshaw out of the picture at fullback.

Ringrose or Aki not known for their aerial prowess.

Funny that when Larmour won a contest with Daly from a box kick, with the decision bizarrely being given against him.

Funny that Earls has never had many issues contesting box kicks before.

Do you like anyone in the Irish squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

there's a chance he'll go on a Lion's tour before he plays for Ireland again

The Lions have a record of not picking players who wouldn't be selected by their team. It's not official or anything, but they didn't select Steffon Armitage when he was the best player in the Northern Hemisphere there for a few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

but with Zebo's form in France, and at least 2 more seasons with Racing... there's a chance he'll go on a Lion's tour before he plays for Ireland again

I doubt Racing will release him if they make a Top14 Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Pity that Earls has only been chasing and catching those box kicks for about 9 years with Murray for club and country

Yes, he is fairly good at it, but due to his size he will never be as dominant as a Kearney or Zebo. IMO, Schmidt wanted Robbie at full back (over Larmour & Conway) because of his stature. Think it was a bit mad though to try Robbie out there from the point of view that he is only coming back from injury and he has hasn't played at 15 for a couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

OldRio wrote: »
    If the tickets go to the grass roots how on earth do we have a situation like Saturday?
    How are people who have little interest in Rugby getting tickets?

I have a relative who went to the match specifically to accompany some corporate English visitors. That relative has no interest whatsoever in rugby, but gleefully posted pictures on its instagram being "proudly Irish". The tickets were purchased (at vast expense) by its firm. Jollies for the glitterati.

But. No. Interest. Whatsoever.

I'm sick as a parrot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

jm08 wrote: »
    Yes, he is fairly good at it, but due to his size he will never be as dominant as a Kearney or Zebo. IMO, Schmidt wanted Robbie at full back (over Larmour & Conway) because of his stature. Think it was a bit mad though to try Robbie out there from the point of view that he is only coming back from injury and he has hasn't played at 15 for a couple of years.

Mike Haley is 6'3", could have been another option but he wasn't called up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

But also, box kicks are not only effective if you can win the ball back directly from the kick. In fact very often the optimal outcome for a box kick can involve your opponent winning the ball in the contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

kuang1 wrote: »
    Should play a drinking game while reading this thread:

"Wake up call" - drink.

That's all.

"Zebo" - drink. Later die of alcohol poisoning.

Is he booked on a Trevor Brennan tour? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Stander, Toner and Ringrose out for next one. Presume Kearney back at FB and henshaw return to centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If you don’t win possession from your first 2/3 box kicks then why continue with them. You are only giving away possession and allowing the opposition attack you. Stupid to continue imo. Rugby is a possession game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

aloooof wrote: »
    Brilliant post, but on one point I think I remember hearing from last years 6 Nations that the players were all released to the French team for the duration of the tournament? So don't have to return to their clubs on the off weeks? Someone else might know for certain.

Correct but there was a change a few years ago to bring that in. In previous years they were not and were often an absolute shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Correct but there was a change a few years ago to bring that in. In previous years they were not and were often an absolute shambles.

Just for the record, this deal is between the FFR and LNR. An overseas French player would not be released for the duration. So Laidlaw and Russell for example, will be expected back in camp weeks 3 and 5.

Im not zebos biggest fan but find it funny that people are saying he knew he couldn't be picked cos of the unwritten rule. Didn't Jonny know about the rule.... Oh wait it didn't effect him.

Jonny had release clauses. Zebo presumably didn't get them otherwise he would drop that into every answer when asked about it

The policy came about as a result of the Sexton move because it made the IRFU realise the importance of keeping players at home.

You do understand the difference between 2013 and 2018 and how things changed as a result of Sexton going to France. Where were now is a result of what happened back then. It's not rocket science

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭JPCN1

I don't see this at all. Most of the people I know who go are there for day out. My housemate uttered those exact words. I had to bite my tongue. I think the ticket sales are a disgrace. Far, far too many are given to corporations which are then passed on to disinterested clients and disinterested family members. I've made peace with this but if you're gonna claim otherwise... sorry its not the reality I see. Sure why wouldn't the IRFU sell a ton of tickets to Google at a high price. I don't even try to get tickets to Ireland matches because its so difficult and I'm at almost every Leinster match.

AFIK Clubs are given a huge amount of tickets but have to sell them to keep the lights on and insurance paid etc. I prefer to watch in my local club play and even watch the internationals there where theres usually a great atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

We still talking about Zebo?

I thought it would stop once he moved to France but it will never stop

You cannot compare Sexton and Zebo. Sexton moved to France because the IRFU thought they could hard ball the players and get away with it. After the Sexton move they stopped it and all the players have benefitted since then. Well stopped it apart from messing up Moore's contracts which was another shambles

Zebo was offering a good deal and turned it down for France. Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Zebs dead baby Zebs dead

If you don’t win possession from your first 2/3 box kicks then why continue with them. You are only giving away possession and allowing the opposition attack you. Stupid to continue imo. Rugby is a possession game.

No. It very much is not a possession game. And if you begin to consider that you’ll answer the first question

Jonny had release clauses. Zebo presumably didn't get them otherwise he would drop that into every answer when asked about it

The policy came about as a result of the Sexton move because it made the IRFU realise the importance of keeping players at home.

You do understand the difference between 2013 and 2018 and how things changed as a result of Sexton going to France. Where were now is a result of what happened back then. It's not rocket science

There are international rules about releasing players for international duty. The ones you talk of are extra training days and which it would be very important to have your outhalf at. Finn Russell seems to be able to manage it all with Scotland.

• Advertisement

There are international rules about releasing players for international duty. The ones you talk of are extra training days and which it would be very important to have your outhalf at. Finn Russell seems to be able to manage it all with Scotland.

Extra training camps. Not just days.

And also entire extra games at times, depending on the, eh, entrepreneurial spirit of the Union. As Wales discovered

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    We still talking about Zebo?

I thought it would stop once he moved to France but it will never stop

You cannot compare Sexton and Zebo. Sexton moved to France because the IRFU thought they could hard ball the players and get away with it. After the Sexton move they stopped it and all the players have benefitted since then. Well stopped it apart from messing up Moore's contracts which was another shambles

Zebo was offering a good deal and turned it down for France. Simple as that.

Forget all the reasons why who did what and look at the big picture. If there was a situation where Rob Kearney wasn't fit or playing well enough going into the next world cup, it would be absolutely foolish to ignore Zebo.

Forget all the reasons why who did what and look at the big picture. If there was a situation where Rob Kearney wasn't fit or playing well enough going into the next world cup, it would be absolutely foolish to ignore Zebo.

Larmour, Addison, Conway, Henshaw, Carberry,

Back up then is Haley, baby face Ulster and TOH

All ahead of Zebo, keep posting the same thing but it doesn't make any difference....

Nobody bar a few Munster fans wants Zebo back, Addison and Larmour are better option

No. It very much is not a possession game. And if you begin to consider that you’ll answer the first question

You can’t score without the ball.

You can’t score without the ball.

Ah yeah, straight out of the big pub book of rugby genius that one!

You can certainly score without possession anyway. If you can force penalties from the opposition in their own half.

But it’s amazing how many professional rugby coaches have got it wrong judging by your philosophy! All that time working on and planning exits all for nothing! Someone should tell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Larmour, Addison, Conway, Henshaw, Carberry,

Back up then is Haley, baby face Ulster and TOH

All ahead of Zebo, keep posting the same thing but it doesn't make any difference....

Madigan is ahead of him too. The cover he gives at standoff, and centre with our current concerns there easily places him ahead of Simon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭BAM! uhavechlamydia

Madigan is ahead of him too. The cover he gives at standoff, and centre with our current concerns there easily places him ahead of Simon.

Better chance of Tiernan O'Hanlon captaining Ireland to a world cup final whitewash of New Zealand

Gatland spoke about it last year. Welsh players in England/France missed 14 of 32 scheduled training sessions because they had sessions outside the window. I would guess that Ireland would have similar schedule at 6n time and it would be a real compromise on prep.

One player might be not much of an issue but SRU pick overseas based players

Zebo played last weekend for R92. Imagine we had 6 or 7 players likewise and they turn up Monday before Game 1 with knocks meaning they cant train for a day or two. How can any team prep for a game like that.

IRFU are guarding against losing players. And rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Zebo moved to France, shouldn't be picked. Simple as that.

However, I think posters here are underestimating his worth as a player though by saying he wouldn't be within an arse's roar of the 23 if he was here. If he was displaying the sort of form he is currently, he'd have started on Saturday.

I mean, I love how Addison (three caps, starter with 80 mins v Argentina and 40 mins v USA, and a sub for 20 mins v Italy ) and Larmour (10 caps, two starts, TWO! Versus Italy and Argentina...!) are supposedly both better options than Munster's all-time top try scorer, a Lion with 35 international caps who has played starring roles and scoring against the likes of New Zealand, Wales, Australia, Argentina.... get a grip a bit lads. Addison and Larmour could well surpass him, but madness to suggest Zebo would not be useful to have around and these two are better options.

His last season here was marred by poor form which could be explained by both a) him losing motivation now he knows he's moving b) his mother's illness. I think it was a little of both to be honest, more b) than a) though.

Ireland could really do with Zebo this tournament the way he's playing but it's (rightly) not happening. I don't think we've seen the last of him in a green or red jersey

It was mentioned before on the podcast the French clubs will pay more if the Irish player is not going to play anymore for ireland or demand to be released for training camps....they can then cover whenthe French players leave

Looks like Zebo went the more money route which is his decision and fair play to him for making it

But constantly going on about bringing him into a team he has played in for nearly 2 years
    Is pointless

leakyboots wrote: »
    Zebo moved to France, shouldn't be picked. Simple as that.

However, I think posters here are underestimating his worth as a player though by saying he wouldn't be within an arse's roar of the 23 if he was here. If he was displaying the sort of form he is currently, he'd have started on Saturday.

I mean, I love how Addison (three caps, starter with 80 mins v Argentina and 40 mins v USA, and a sub for 20 mins v Italy ) and Larmour (10 caps, two starts, TWO! Versus Italy and Argentina...!) are supposedly both better options than Munster's all-time top try scorer, a Lion with 35 international caps who has played starring roles and scoring against the likes of New Zealand, Wales, Australia, Argentina.... get a grip a bit lads. Addison and Larmour could well surpass him, but madness to suggest Zebo would not be useful to have around and these two are better options.

His last season here was marred by poor form which could be explained by both a) him losing motivation now he knows he's moving b) his mother's illness. I think it was a little of both to be honest, more b) than a) though.

Ireland could really do with Zebo this tournament the way he's playing but it's (rightly) not happening. I don't think we've seen the last of him in a green or red jersey

Zebo is not a Lion

• Advertisement

Zebo is not a Lion

He is a Lions Tourist though.

He is a Lions Tourist though.

Yes he is, but not a Lion....

I think you get my point here SWF when I refer to him as a Lion but if you want to get caught up in the semantics of it all go for it ;)

As an aside, didn't realise Addison played and won the Junior Six Nations and played in the Junior World Cup for England!

Ah yeah, straight out of the big pub book of rugby genius that one!

You can certainly score without possession anyway. If you can force penalties from the opposition in their own half.

But it’s amazing how many professional rugby coaches have got it wrong judging by your philosophy! All that time working on and planning exits all for nothing! Someone should tell them.

It really worked last Sat then.

Gatland spoke about it last year. Welsh players in England/France missed 14 of 32 scheduled training sessions because they had sessions outside the window. I would guess that Ireland would have similar schedule at 6n time and it would be a real compromise on prep.

One player might be not much of an issue but SRU pick overseas based players

Zebo played last weekend for R92. Imagine we had 6 or 7 players likewise and they turn up Monday before Game 1 with knocks meaning they cant train for a day or two. How can any team prep for a game like that.

IRFU are guarding against losing players. And rightly so.

My point is specifically about the World Cup only when Zebo would have at least a month or six weeks uninterrupted training with Ireland as there will be no Top 14 games.

By the way, Zebo did not play for R92 last weekend - he has been on a break in Ireland.

By the way, Zebo did not play for R92 last weekend - he has been on a break in Ireland.

Like the club player who isnt selected, and goes along to watch the game. But bring his boots. Just in case. You never know.

My point is specifically about the World Cup only when Zebo would have at least a month or six weeks uninterrupted training with Ireland as there will be no Top 14 games.

Why would Ireland bring a player into the squad just for the World Cup

That is the most idiotic idea I have heard yet, so all the player in Ireland working all season towards a World Cup and then last min we bring in a player who has left for the money.....nothing else but money

How exactly do you think the rest of the player will look at that?

A player that won't even get into the starting team. Seriously would you quit with the Zebo cr*p....how many pages of it now and its all rubbish

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Do not take this Zebo stuff to any other thread.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement