Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Taylor-made CVPL Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Suckit wrote: »
    Nope, like Pluto, it was never a planet, but was classed as one.
    Pluto used to be a planet. They didn't discover that they made an error.
    They changed the definition of planet, so it was not a planet from that point on.
    We (as kids) were told it was a koala bear.
    Then, as the teacher(s) became more informed, we were told that was wrong. It is just a Koala.
    If you were told it was a koala bear, your teachers were simply wrong.
    I'm just pointing out that its not a "no longer" thing. They were never bears. As a kid I heard both used, and probably assumed it was a bear until I learned they had a pouch.

The confusion comes from Drop Bears. Which look like large koalas, but aren't bears either, despite the name.
    Pluto is no longer referred to as a bear.
    Pluto was a dog. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Mellor wrote: »
    Pluto used to be a planet. They didn't discover that they made an error.
    They changed the definition of planet, so it was not a planet from that point on.

I think it was more that they found lots of things that behaved like Pluto did so it was either call all them planets or get rid of Pluto

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Poor Pluto.
    I had a primary school teacher once who told us that Pluto was probably named after Mickey Mouse's dog. You forget that knowledge wasn't immediately at your finger tips in the past.

Today we should all be much more knowledgeable than the past

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_flat_Earth_societies

:(

Flat Earth society, has members all around the globe. :D
    I seriously believe that they only exist to wind people up, no educated person can still believe that it is still flat!

As for Pluto, the US was quite upset when it got demoted as it was the only "planet" found by an American, they tried several times to get it reinstated as a planet - but it does not meet the criteria to be a planet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I think it probably exists for money.

I don't know if members are necessarily uneducated. There was a Guardian article last year about how a lot of members of the Flat Earth society get sucked in through YouTube, and the algorithms which then start recommending videos based on what you've already been watching, and so you really do start going down a rabbit hole and only getting only one side of the story, which then keeps reinforcing your own views. Most people will realise it's nonsense of course, but a small portion of 7,000,000,000 people (or even 350,000,000 Americans) is still a lot of people. If they are uneducated, they're also being targetted.
    Interviews with 30 attendees [at the world’s largest gatherings of Flat Earthers at the movement’s annual conference] revealed a pattern in the stories people told about how they came to be convinced that the Earth was not a large round rock spinning through space but a large flat disc doing much the same thing.

Of the 30, all but one said they had not considered the Earth to be flat two years ago but changed their minds after watching videos promoting conspiracy theories on YouTube. “The only person who didn’t say this was there with his daughter and his son-in-law and they had seen it on YouTube and told him about it,”

Makes you wonder what other stuff - transgenderism is an obvious example - is blown out of all rational proportion by people watching too much social media. And if social media does have that sort of impact on people, then that's genuinely quite scary.

Anyways, maybe a bit heavy for this thread!

• Advertisement

Yeah, of course, money as well
    I forgot to add that. ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

So, what you're really saying, DB, is that Earth is really shaped like a coin, hence the expression "Money makes the world go round"? And that like a spinning coin it's rotating so fast it looks like a sphere or a globe? I s'pose that's a theory as valid as the next.

New Home wrote: »
    So, what you're really saying, DB, is that Earth is really shaped like a coin, hence the expression "Money makes the world go round"? And that like a spinning coin it's rotating so fast itv ooks like a sphere or a globe? I s'pose that's a theory as valid as the next.

Heads or tails :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Time will tell. :D

That's Mr Burns when he got lost in the woods after his treatment and lost his memory and Bart found him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

That's Mr Burns when he got lost in the woods after his treatment and lost his memory and Bart found him.

:D

I bring you love!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I can imagine a heartwarming story of twin calves who befriend an outcast runt piglet. The trio go on an epic journey, overcome adversity, and eventually save the farm. The Adventures of Bacon & Double Cheese, in McDonalds cinemas now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I have a pet peeve of images posted in YLYL that are essentially a bunch of text.

This one takes the biscuit though. A photo of a print out of a bunch of text. Somebody is taking the piss and I like it.
    What's your opinion when they don't embed the picture in their post, so you have to actively click on it, just to see a picture of text, which then turns out to be a joke you first heard about 20 years ago? :p

The link is there precisely because some people can't the the embedded images. In some instances people don't embed the pics either because they're too big, NSFW or they're using their phone where it's a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

The link is there precisely because some people can't the the embedded images. In some instances people don't embed the pics either because they're too big, NSFW or they're using their phone where it's a pain.
    Ah yeah, it was only tongue in cheek as I remember reading PJ's comment before. Although a tiny, tiny piece of my soul dies when I click a link like that knowing I'll be disappointed and being right. It's like falling for clickbait!

But it really wasn't a serious complaint, it just made me think of the previous comments when I saw it :)

Pretend they're scratch-cards. :D

589110.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Morta is the roman God of Death. (Mortal, Post mortem, mortuary).

Not sure about Pluto, or than Mickey Mouse's dog.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Morta is the roman God of Death. (Mortal, Post mortem, mortuary).

Not sure about Pluto, or than Mickey Mouse's dog.

Pluto is Greek :)

"Hades, Greek Aïdes (“the Unseen”), also called Pluto or Pluton (“the Wealthy One” or “the Giver of Wealth”), in ancient Greek religion, god of the underworld."

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Hades-Greek-mythology

The "other" rule n. 1 is don't let the truth get in the way of a joke.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

The lamp-post in the garden?

With the lightbulb it's been acting like a magnifying glass for the sun, burning a circle in the grass.

With the lightbulb it's been acting like a magnifying glass for the sun, burning a circle in the grass.
    I don't think it's a burn line, it looks like someone painted the line with chalk (football pitch type).

You might very well be right, but I'm not convinced, DB: it seems to match the sunbeam coming through the lightbulb.

Edit: Yep. https://www.kontraband.com/post/b654cb51b6f

You might very well be right, but I'm not convinced, DB: it seems to match the sunbeam coming through the lightbulb.

Edit: Yep. https://www.kontraband.com/post/b654cb51b6f
    Yeah, looks like it only does it for a short period of time, the width is due to each day the angle being slightly lower as we approach Autumn.

And probably not as bad on cloudy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

When the shadow reaches the line it's time for a drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Advertisement