Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Taylor-made CVPL Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

astrofluff wrote: »
    Ours is 1/5 of one gill (35.5ml or 1 fluid Oz) while in the UK it's just 25ml.

A fluid oz is 28ml or so. (1/5 of a gill)
    Our shots are 1/4 gill because why not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Possubly related to why our pints are 20 fl oz, when in America a pint is 16 fl oz (so a pint of water weighs a pound)?

I think it's just an excuse to drink more. And I'm ok with that. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

cdeb wrote: »
    Possubly related to why our pints are 20 fl oz, when in America a pint is 16 fl oz (so a pint of water weighs a pound)?

But then your calorie intake would increase! :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Victor wrote: »
    Google says 142.065 ml.

Wikipedia says "In Ireland, the standard spirit measure was historically ​1⁄4 gill. In the Republic of Ireland, it still retains this value, though it is now legally specified in metric units as 35.5 ml." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gill_(unit)

I was writing it from memory. My memory ain't the best after all the drinking!

Thanks for clearing that up!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

New Home wrote: »
    But then your calorie intake would increase! :eek: :D
    So I'd just go and cycle a mile rather than a lousy kilometre and work it off.

[This is going way off topic of course - but I can never understand the stuffy nonsense people come out with when talking about the metric system. "But no", they cry, "How will you know how much energy it takes to heat some water some arbitrary temperature at some other arbitrary temperature?" At a practical level of physically doing that experiment, nobody cares. I think it's part of having a colonialised history that we feel we have to talk down about our own way of doing things.]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

524917.jpg

This is offensive to Barney.

Well done.

-

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

"You're doing great champ, he's on the ropes, you'll finish him in the next round.."

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

The pint is a unit of volume or capacity in both the imperial and United States customary measurement systems. In both of those systems it is traditionally one eighth of a gallon. The British imperial pint is about ​1⁄5 larger than the American pint because the two systems are defined differently. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pint

After the American colonies revolted and became independent of the British Empire in 1776, the United States subsequently adopted the Queen Anne gallon of 231 cubic inches (≈ 3.78541 L) for measuring liquids which is now known as the U.S. liquid gallon. The United States also adopted the Winchester gallon of 268.80252 cubic inches (≈ 4.40488 L) for measuring dry materials and it is now known as the U.S. dry gallon.

England made a different decision and, in 1824, the British defined the Imperial gallon as the volume of 10 pounds of water at 62 °F and essentially atmospheric pressure (30 inches of mercury), and chose to use it for measuring both liquids and dry materials. That gave the Imperial gallon a volume of 277.42 cubic inches (4.54610 L) which is approximately 20 percent larger than the U.S. liquid gallon.
    https://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Gallon

cdeb wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

g7s5hIS.jpeg

Sorry, I don't see one! :pac:

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

RVofCjhh.jpg?width=368&height=582
    eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

eh?
    at the end of the last avengers captain America goes back in time to live with Peggy Carter. So instead of being in the now, he had to live on in the 40s/50s/onwards. Although to be fair, that's when he was from originally...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

gozunda wrote: »
    I can't wait to see how the social worker deals with this
    Cattleprod or tazer. :cool:

2020 downloading... 69% completed

Telpis!! If it's this bad already and it's not fully downloaded, yet, can you imagine how bad it'll be when it's at 100%?!?!? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Calculator123

5NKO8ivm.jpg

MOD : Moved from YLYL Pic thread.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Buffering...

I wouldn't attempt it, TBH. Space has way bigger weapons. What did you think the big bang was, someone bursting a paper bag full of air?

Buffering...
    :D

I saw what you did, there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Elon Musk is Hank Scorpio without his looks or his charm.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Hank Scorpio treated his employees well.

My point exactly! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

New Home wrote: »
    The moment the first Death Star was destroyed.
    RIP, never forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

President has them. So vice president is first in line, speaker second, president Pro tempore of senate 3rd and so on...

dulpit wrote: »
    President has them. So vice president is first in line, speaker second, president Pro tempore of senate 3rd and so on...
    OK, it's the way it is phrased that makes the difference,
    President first (he has them)
    Vice President second (after the President)

Speaker third (after the vice president)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It's just silly pedantry.

If you're following the line of succession as to who's in line to replace the president, then the speaker is second (1. VP, 2. Speaker, etc.)

If you're saying who's in line to use the launch codes, the speaker is third (1. President, 2. VP, 3. Speaker)

But, if you want to be really pedantic and go with who actually has the launch codes, both the President and VP have their own Gold Codes cards which they keep on their person, so the speaker would then be first in line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Where is Kiefer Sutherland in the line of succession?

Advertisement