Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Taylor-made CVPL Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

New Home wrote: »
    Fair enough, but all the Finns I've ever spoken to (and they are quite a lot) always made sure to correct anyone who would call them Scandinavians.
    I just call them Russian instead :P:eek::pac::pac::pac:

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Who took the picture of Charles and where is their photo ?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117337444&postcount=3754

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

GBX wrote: »

Calm down there JJJ GBX, it was obviously Spider-man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Of course - who else could it have been!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

GBX wrote: »

the-worlds-first-camera_o_987364.webp

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭roosterman71

m17 wrote: »
    WnaSa0w.jpg

No reason whatsoever to have 2 sliproads off each lane. Kinda negates a lot of the functionality of a roundabout

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That's not a QR code, that's a QRR code, I'll bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No reason whatsoever to have 2 sliproads off each lane. Kinda negates a lot of the functionality of a roundabout
    What?

Each section of mainline motorway has one off-ramp and one on-ramp. The off-ramp then splits. The right hand part goes to the roundabout, the left bypasses the roundabout. All movements are facilitated, while traffic on the roundabout is minimised.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Where do the tunnels bring you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

That's not a QR code, that's a QRR code, I'll bet.

QRA?

Depends on whether he's singing and dancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Depends on whether he's singing and dancing.

Are ya askin'

Where do the tunnels bring you?

This is the junction https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/53.2975/-8.8057 the photo is taken from the east.

Victor wrote: »
    What?

Each section of mainline motorway has one off-ramp and one on-ramp. The off-ramp then splits. The right hand part goes to the roundabout, the left bypasses the roundabout. All movements are facilitated, while traffic on the roundabout is minimised.

There is a huge amount of extra tar down for no obvious benefit is what I meant. Why couldn't the slip road just go to the roundabout and take the desired exit. Not gaining a whole lot as a driver by having the split, and all the extra infrastructure. In my view, money wasted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭hold my beer

There is a huge amount of extra tar down for no obvious benefit is what I meant. Why couldn't the slip road just go to the roundabout and take the desired exit. Not gaining a whole lot as a driver by having the split, and all the extra infrastructure. In my view, money wasted

You don't have to stop at a roundabout if going left

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You don't have to stop at a roundabout if going left
    Are you sure about that?

Are you sure about that?

You don't have to stop at this roundabout if going left, but only because you can bypass it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

That's brilliant. I asked myself the question: does everyone think what I think it is? And then loaded the QR into a generator to get the link.

*doffs cap!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

Are you sure about that?

Yes. That's why the slip roads split. Left to bypass the roundabout and right to get on the roundabout and go right.

Not disputing it makes driving a little easier in that you don't have to slow down for traffic. I'm questioning the value in it. 4 extra slip roads would not be cheap to build and just so a small % of the road users don't have to slow to maybe a stop at a roundabout!

Not disputing it makes driving a little easier in that you don't have to slow down for traffic. I'm questioning the value in it. 4 extra slip roads would not be cheap to build and just so a small % of the road users don't have to slow to maybe a stop at a roundabout!

You could apply that logic to roads themselves. Why bother though. If you're gonna build such a big junction then best to have it free flowing wherever possible

You could apply that logic to roads themselves. Why bother though. If you're gonna build such a big junction then best to have it free flowing wherever possible

Don't think you can apply it.
    We might leave it here. I think it's over engineered and others disagree :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,893 ✭✭✭✭josip

Not trying to prolong the debate, more of a general question.
    If there are multiple options available for a piece of road infrastructure and all else (safety, environment impact, etc) are equal, is there a cost benefit analysis done on that particular segment in order to justify if it's worth doing?

Eg. motorway can go around a hill or over/through the hill via a cutting.
    Going through the hill costs €5m more at construction time, but the motorway ends up 0.5km shorter.
    Is the reduced cost of 0.5km shorter, considered per vehicle movement over the expected lifetime of the road, when deciding which option is best?

Not a proper freeflow roundabout, something that could easily (cheaply) be resolved with a different line pattern between the junctions on the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

It think it makes sense when motorway are merging with motorways. You don't need to shed speed and then regain it.

Muppet Man wrote: »
    It think it makes sense when motorway are merging with motorways. You don't need to shed speed and then regain it.

Yeah, this isn't an exit to a lesser road

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What can't I see?
    Mr Crispy wrote: »
    554933.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

"eduation".

Advertisement