Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Taylor-made CVPL Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

Please tell me that Karen and Karen post with the cut out masks isn't real. Please!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Please tell me that Karen and Karen post with the cut out masks isn't real. Please!!!
    Unfortunately there have been multiple instances of such sea lawyering.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

bottom right pic, we're going to build a fence, and we're going to get the Martians to pay for it...

https://www.businessinsider.com/curiosity-rover-drilling-on-mars-2014-5?r=US&IR=T
    On Tuesday, the six-wheeled robot did a test drill, making a hole about half an inch wide and nearly an inch deep,

Edit: top right, there was hardly a post there either, and I presume someones planting a hedge on the left...?

Not aliens. Moles.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

GinSoaked wrote: »
    So one US inch is 25.4mm (same as its always been :pac:)
    Skipping a lot of history, Henry the eight decided to standardise the to the distance from his nose to his thumb.

America was discovered shortly afterwards.

Skipping a lot of history ... in 1834 the UK parliament burnt down destroying the original yardsticks. So they tried to recreate it by comparing other yardsticks but they varied so they ended up with a mix from the Ordinance Survey and the Royal Astronomical Society ones. Finally they sent a copy of the new standard to the USA in about 1855.

Also some of the standard lengths were kept on rollers so they could expand freely but they sagged so the length changed.

And turns out the whole time those standard yards were shrinking by one part per million every twenty years due to the gradual release of strain incurred during the fabrication process.

And then in 1959 they settled on a yard defined as precisely 0.9144 of a meter.

So one US inch is 25.4mm (same as its always been :pac:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Cheap Chinese spanner could easily be 0.2mm out, or it was "persuaded" to fit!

A 7/16"spanner is bigger than 7/16"
    Even a perfectly made one is oversized by 0.1-0.2mm to allow them to fit on an off quickly. It was exactly the same as the bolt head it would be a nightmare to use quickly.

Mellor wrote: »
    Even a perfectly made one is oversized by 0.1-0.2mm to allow them to fit on an off quickly. It was exactly the same as the bolt head it would be a nightmare to use quickly.

True, they don't need to have an engineering fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

How do you know all spanners are made oversized and not all nuts are made undersize?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Can you imagine how they are going to lose their sh*t when countries start lifting restrictions for countries who are getting their outbreaks under control and the US hasn't?

They'll throw their toys out of the pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

How do you know all spanners are made oversized and not all nuts are made undersize?
    Nuts and bolts are made to tolerances too. Fractions of a mm under for the same reasons

• Advertisement

Nuts and bolts are made to tolerances too. Fractions of a mm under for the same reasons

what are the dimensions of a bit of 2 by 4 ?

what are the dimensions of a bit of 2 by 4 ?

A lot less than 2 by 4 because 2 by 4 is a nominal size.

Say you were cutting down a 4x4 that was actually 4 inches by 4 inches then the result would be a nominal 2x4 because you have lost some wood with the saw cut.

It boils down to someone has to pay for the sawdust produced every time a piece of timber is cut down to size. So you are paying for the timber size you would get if all saw cuts were of zero thickness.

....... errors and other explanations accepted :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

If only we had a thread for things which you thought people didn't know.

I bet you didn't know that...the "I bet you didn't know that" thread started off with the stat on the dimensions of a 4x2 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

And I thought a 2x4 referred to the thickness and width of the plank.

And maybe that's what all this talk is about and I'm just as confused as ever

And I thought a 2x4 referred to the thickness and width of the plank.

And maybe that's what all this talk is about and I'm just as confused as ever

But it is only very rarely the actual size of the timber. 2x4 will normally be between 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" and 1- 7/8" x 3-7/8".

Even if it was 2x4 when saw it will dry out in storage and be less than 2x4.

2x4 is a nominal measurement and the definition of nominal is "existing in name only".

But it is only very rarely the actual size of the timber. 2x4 will normally be between 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" and 1- 7/8" x 3-7/8".

Even if it was 2x4 when saw it will dry out in storage and be less than 2x4.

2x4 is a nominal measurement and the definition of nominal is "existing in name only".
    Sounds like political promises! :P

Sounds like political promises! :P

Made by male politicians as the lengths are also nominal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Bootup wrote: »
    h6y6Ezo.jpg

Life is also the longest thing you'll ever do

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

s1ippy wrote: »
    They really take ages to reply.
    516728.jpg
    I know the letter is bollocks, but isn't the class of 2019 the one that graduates in 2019, so starting in 2015 would be reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Advertisement

Kissing cousins perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113768950&postcount=5014

It’s happened. 1800ladlad has managed to post something visible on iOS.

It’s either a great day or we are all well and truly f...ed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113768950&postcount=5014

It’s happened. 1800ladlad has managed to post something visible on iOS.

It’s either a great day or we are all well and truly f...ed

The irony, they post something visible to say they can't see the door!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Maybe they used an Oxford comma incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Q9iI5Z3.gif

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    You have to,

It's a triple dare.

8568_bf29_800.jpeg

Anyone got anymore info on this old photo? Its all over the web but can't find anything much about it. Looks fake to me. Not that I'm bothered that fakery is actually supporting Literally every other science :D

Its the guys fingertips that seem all wrong with that much weight with the weight behind him I don't see how that hold would support anything.

There again that could be the joke and I've missed it altogether :o

Edit> or is it three guys, two wagon wheels and a length of drain pipe?

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    Caption: "Capt'n Midnight, circa June 2020"
    :D
    Not true

7297_235d.gif

Me exercising during lockdown.

Advertisement