Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Taylor-made CVPL Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Willem Tell at the head of the table and his son to his right (top left as we look at it).

Robin Hood wasn't associated with apples.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,880 ✭✭✭✭josip

William Tell is normally depicted with a crossbow, so that's him on the left

Crossbow is lying between him and his son.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,880 ✭✭✭✭josip

quickbeam wrote: »
    Willem Tell at the head of the table and his son to his right (top left as we look at it).

Crossbow is lying between him and his son.

Are you looking at the picture on a phone?
    The crossbow is lying between the son and his father to the right in the blue top.
    The guy at the top of the table has arrows in a quiver, not bolts.

We're not the only ones discussing
    https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1114473/funny-pictures-thread-discussion-thread/page/64

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭wally79

I was sure there was a William tell style story involving Robin Hood and an apple.

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    Are you looking at the picture on a phone?
    The crossbow is lying between the son and his father to the right in the blue top.
    The guy at the top of the table has arrows in a quiver, not bolts.

Not seeing it on a phone, no. Crossbow is to the right of the son, on the left of the picture.

Guy at the top sure looks like he has arrows alright. I wouldn't be au fait with the difference between them and bolts and how they relate to a crossbow, tbh.

wally79 wrote: »
    I was sure there was a William tell style story involving Robin Hood and an apple.

Not that I'm aware of. I'm prepared to be corrected though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Three More Big Sleeps

josip wrote: »
    We're not the only ones discussing...

The artist, Marco De Angelis, is on FB. I'll scoot him a wee message.

The artist, Marco De Angelis, is on FB. I'll scoot him a wee message.

I was looking for info on his site but no joy

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The blondie guy near the crossbow, the one between the Greek woman and the boy, has a Greek pattern on his sleeve, so that can't be William Tell.

Agree. The one to the right of the boy is with the Greek woman. Willem Tell is at the head of the table.

• Advertisement

So who are they? Paris and Aphrodite?

Possibly.

https://ec.europa.eu/programmes/erasmus-plus/project-result-content/273d0f04-3c91-49da-a490-736b006c209c/CYPRUS_Symbolism_of_the_Apple.pdf
    Probably the most famous of Greek mythology's apples is the Apple of Discord, which was a golden apple that indirectly started the Trojan War. Eris, the goddess of discord had not been invited to the wedding of Peleus and the sea nymph Thetis. She became enraged, stormed into the wedding feast and threw a golden apple onto the table, professing that it belonged to whomever was fairest with an inscription saying such on it. The goddesses Hera, Athena, and Aphrodite all reached for the fruit. Zeus decided that the fairest man alive, Paris of Troy, would be the judge of the contest and determine who received the fruit. Hera promised him power if he picked her, Athena promised him wealth, and Aphrodite promised him the most beautiful woman alive. He chose Aphrodite to receive the apple and she told him that Helen of Sparta would be his wife. Unfortunately, Helen was already the wife of King Menelaus and thus sparked the famous Trojan War.

Possibly.
    Or, indeed, [Eris,] Atalanta or Aphrodite. Golden apples everywhere :)

Golden apples everywhere, QB :)

In any event, 'tis a waiting game now...

517611.jpg

How do you like them apples?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

fetchimage?siteId=7575&v=2&jpgQuality=100&width=700&url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.kym-cdn.com%2Fentries%2Ficons%2Ffacebook%2F000%2F032%2F991%2Fhell.jpg

Super extra bonus brownie points for posting a pic of Paul Rudd.

Golden apples everywhere, QB :)

In any event, 'tis a waiting game now...

517611.jpg

How do you like them apples?

Any response?

Probably turned into a diva now his cartoons been featured in YLYL

wally79 wrote: »
    Any response?

Not a peep, Wally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

A few similar opinions here. It looks like the artist has removed his imgur account.

https://diasp.org/posts/55ef8a5072910137a204005056264835
    https://imgur.com/gallery/VmToqBZ

• Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's a confusing layout. And some errors. But the guy at the top is clearly William Tell not Robin Hood.

Mellor wrote: »
    It's a confusing layout. And some errors. But the guy at the top is clearly William Tell not Robin Hood.
    I think everyone agrees (now) that it is William Tell.
    I also think that the confusion or speculation is focused on the two characters on the left. Most agree one is Paris and the other is either Eris or Aphrodite.

But I just liked reading about it :D Had never heard of either before this, regarding an apple. I had heard of Aphrodite.

Suckit wrote: »
    I think everyone agrees (now) that it is William Tell.
    I also think that the confusion or speculation is focused on the two characters on the left. Most agree one is Paris and the other is either Eris or Aphrodite.

But I just liked reading about it :D Had never heard of either before this, regarding an apple. I had heard of Aphrodite.

The confusion comes from the placement of the crossbow imo.
    But the blonde guy is clearly Greek, which suggest Paris. Aphrodite would make more sense the Eris as Aphrodite received the Apple that Eris created.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'm still not convinced that it isn't Robin Hood and William Tell, but if you're adamant William Tell is at the head of the table, you could have the Greek Hercules grabbing the golden apple as one of his twelve labours.

Edit: Paris at least as likely, I guess.

That car video on the WTF thread?

1. I begin to think they don't have an NCT over there.
    2. Conversation with the insurance company: "Has your car been altered or modified in any way?"......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Didn't Paris shoot Achilles? Not sure if he had a crossbow though.

Ficheall wrote: »
    I'm still not convinced that it isn't Robin Hood and William Tell, but if you're adamant William Tell is at the head of the table, you could have the Greek Hercules grabbing the golden apple as one of his twelve labours.

I don't think it would be Robin Hood, as there is no relevance to the apple (that I know of).

But was important in both William Tell and his Son's life.
    And the bolts are at his side in their quiver, more than arrows over shoulder.
    No idea about the Greeks.

Ficheall wrote: »

What would the connection to apple be for Robin Hood?
    None the less, the blonde guy is wearing a tunic with Greek motifs. He’s definitely not a Swiss archer.
    He looks too scrawny to be Hercules, apples aside.
    Yester wrote: »
    Didn't Paris shoot Achilles? Not sure if he had a crossbow though.
    Yes he did, with an arrow. Not sure if now or crossbow but probably too early for crossbows.

Is that a chocolate lab? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

m17 wrote: »
    Co Waterford Wednesday night
    FHmLKDM.jpg

That's the Nexus coming. Had to blow up a few planets in distant star systems to get it to come to me. :D

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

3329_defa_500.png
    Maybe he means Levi's.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

New Home wrote: »
    Is that a chocolate lab? :pac:

https://twitter.com/OnnMel/status/1276959492652097536

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

hqdefault.jpg
    :confused:

Advertisement