Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Taylor-made CVPL Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

:confused:

The caption reads "Me strolling into Homebase because everyone is getting their hair cut."

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

New Home wrote: »
    The caption reads "Me strolling into Homebase because everyone is getting their hair cut."
    Ok thanks. Touch site doesn't have captions.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NBTD

'98?

NBTD wrote: »
    '98?
    Not sure about 99 but 2000 was the year of the "dot-bomb" and major "Asian Tiger" financial crisis's.

Y2K was a non-event, thanks to all the preventative action.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Not sure about 99 but 2000 was the year of the "dot-bomb" and major "Asian Tiger" financial crisis's.

Y2K was a non-event, thanks to all the preventative action.

And a few significant things happened in Autumn 2001 as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

file.jpg

Now.... I.... It's gotten to such a stage that I feel, unfortunately, that I need to ask:.... People know this is fake, right? Because unfortunately it's not clear if people DO know this.... Right?

I mean look at Bin Laden's beard. They use the same headshot for the confirmed fake with Hilary Clinton for God's Sake. (https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hillary-clinton-meets-osama-bin-laden/) - And I fully expect THAT to turn up now, out of context on WFT thread. PLEASE give me some hope that ALL of Boards hasn't descended into the kind of depressing US right-wing nasty, anti-diversity, anti-women, homophobic "humour" that YLYL has become.

Why has YLYL become a sounding board for militant veganism and US right-wing anger?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Now.... I.... It's gotten to such a stage that I feel, unfortunately, that I need to ask:.... People know this is fake, right? Because unfortunately it's not clear if people DO know this.... Right?

I mean look at Bin Laden's beard. They use the same headshot for the confirmed fake with Hilary Clinton for God's Sake. (https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hillary-clinton-meets-osama-bin-laden/) - And I fully expect THAT to turn up now, out of context on WFT thread. PLEASE give me some hope that ALL of Boards hasn't descended into the kind of depressing US right-wing nasty, anti-diversity, anti-women, homophobic "humour" that YLYL has become.

Why has YLYL become a sounding board for militant veganism and US right-wing anger?

It’s clearly fake. Over a decade old too.
    But I’m not sure how’s it’s right-wing anger. It’s more conspiracy theory than anything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Mellor wrote: »
    But I’m not sure how’s it’s right-wing anger. It’s more conspiracy theory than anything.
    Yeah, I don't know how you manage to shoehorn "anti-diversity, anti-women" into a comment on that "photo" tbh. Bit weird.

Post was valid to up then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

cdeb wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't know how you manage to shoehorn "anti-diversity, anti-women" into a comment on that "photo" tbh. Bit weird.

Post was valid to up then.
    I think the comment was based more on the general flavour of pictures being added these days. Particularly by two or three posters, we all know who

There's a lot of daft stuff and too much American nonsense alright.

But just call it "daft". I don't get the need to be trying to label everything or box everything off into definitions. The post quoted, for example, clearly isn't anti-diversity or anti-women or right-wing or homophobic.

So just call it what it is. To do otherwise just shows off your own biases.

• Advertisement

I think the comment was based more on the general flavour of pictures being added these days. Particularly by two or three posters, we all know who

Sorry, yes. My point was that YLYL has become SO bitter lately (Obviously that's just my opinion. Everybody has their own opinion and they all are equally valid but I can only speak for me). Now it's spreading. I'm not a Mod. I don't mean to backseat Mod. I'm just sad to see how depressing and angry and nasty Cool Vids, YLYL etc has become in the last 2 years.

Sorry, yes. My point was that YLYL has become SO bitter lately (Obviously that's just my opinion. Everybody has their own opinion and they all are equally valid but I can only speak for me). Now it's spreading. I'm not a Mod. I don't mean to backseat Mod. I'm just sad to see how depressing and angry and nasty Cool Vids, YLYL etc has become in the last 2 years.

I agree, there's a lot of shıtposting going on these days, I'm basically giving up on YLYL

It's not even that they're offensive. It's like people are trying so hard to be offensive in the hope of getting a reaction. I'd never feel the need to report anything for example, I just get annoyed for having wasted my time clicking into the thread without checking who the last poster was. It's not funny, it's not edgy, it's not challenging, it's just boring

We have had to move a number of posts from YLYL to the WTF thread recently, but there is a line between what is humorous and simply WTF that is very hard to judge.
    Also, I want to avoid being overzealous with censorship as well, we're not in the Orwellian 1984 scenario yet , even though I feel we're getting very close to it these days.

OK, I can buy into that.

Certainly there's a lot of stuff that'd be too opinionated to be remotely funny. It's only "funny" if it already suits your viewpoint. (Most posts aren't, of course, but enough are). The veganism stuff was tiresome while it was around, and there is now other strands popping up from one or two alright.

But there's whole threads on the site as to whether diversity is even a good thing (or whether it even is diversity and not the exact opposite), so I guess when you made the comment on anti-diversity/anti-women/homophobic/right-wing, etc, in the original post, I just see you falling into the exact same Americanised trap of everything having to have its box.

I think we probably agree that there's too much unfunny crap on the thread. The ignore list is probably the best option, given that humour is subjective in fairness.

We have had to move a number of posts from YLYL to the WTF thread recently, but there is a line between what is humorous and simply WTF that is very hard to judge.
    Also, I want to avoid being overzealous with censorship as well, we're not in the Orwellian 1984 scenario yet , even though I feel we're getting very close to it these days.
    In fairness, for what it's worth and based on what I've seen, I think that call has largely been correctly made, and you're right that it's a tough call for the mods as it is to an extent censorship. Though some of the posts ruin even the WTF thread.

I guess you could have a thread for "Silly narrow-focus posts which I find funny only because I've been reading too much Twitter", but probably no-one would think their posts belong there. :)

Agree with cdeb there, this isn't an issue with moderation. I also think you're doing the right thing and appreciate there's probably a lot of unseen work too

I love the sound of that new thread, how do we get them in there? :pac:

I just want YLYL to make me laugh again...!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I guess I'll have to start posting again. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Agree with cdeb there, this isn't an issue with moderation. I also think you're doing the right thing and appreciate there's probably a lot of unseen work too

I love the sound of that new thread, how do we get them in there? :pac:

I just want YLYL to make me laugh again...!

Are you tired of winning?

Oh and I agree. I mean it's all opinion and in fairness, the moderators do a bang up job. And they get nothing but abuse for it. I don't mean to say anything negative about the moderation. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. There is nothing actually offensive about the example I posted above (Other than the fact it was posted in WFT to give the impression it it legit but that's by and by)...

No, there is nothing outright offensive about these posts but I'm just sad to see how threads like YLYL has gotten do depressing and angry. I have my own opinions on these matters and have VERY rarely posted something there about my own take on modern society and never try to apostatise on YLYL. And I'm not being "triggered" (God I hate lazy Instaterms like these). I'm just on Boards long enough to be sad how sad a thread called "You Laugh You Lose" has become. Anyway, had me moan. Onwards.

Oh, to the Mods: Fair play to ye all. I would imagine that moderating a forum is like working with the Public. It's a thankless job where the only comments you get on what you do are how sh*t you are at doing it.

Oh and I agree. I mean it's all opinion and in fairness, the moderators do a bang up job. And they get nothing but abuse for it. I don't mean to say anything negative about the moderation. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. There is nothing actually offensive about the example I posted above (Other than the fact it was posted in WFT to give the impression it it legit but that's by and by)...

No, there is nothing outright offensive about these posts but I'm just sad to see how threads like YLYL has gotten do depressing and angry. I have my own opinions on these matters and have VERY rarely posted something there about my own take on modern society and never try to apostatise on YLYL. And I'm not being "triggered" (God I hate lazy Instaterms like these). I'm just on Boards long enough to be sad how sad a thread called "You Laugh You Lose" has become. Anyway, had me moan. Onwards.

Oh, to the Mods: Fair play to ye all. I would imagine that moderating a forum is like working with the Public. It's a thankless job where the only comments you get on what you do are how sh*t you are at doing it.

Flattery won't get you everywhere, but that ^^^ might have just earned you a spot on my Christmas list. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Whets the lad on the end queueing for?

Nose hairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

cdeb wrote: »
    In fairness, for what it's worth and based on what I've seen, I think that call has largely been correctly made, and you're right that it's a tough call for the mods as it is to an extent censorship. Though some of the posts ruin even the WTF thread.

I guess you could have a thread for "Silly narrow-focus posts which I find funny only because I've been reading too much Twitter", but probably no-one would think their posts belong there. :)

Try as I might, I find it impossible to laugh at 'funny' posts which include a child with third degree burns, suicide etc.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,490 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

dan1895 wrote: »
    Whets the lad on the end queueing for?

OcChO1u4eKcV.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

New Home wrote: »
    I guess I'll have to start posting again. :cool:

We're going to need a bigger boat box

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113885358&postcount=5220

I'm not sure whats funniest the name of the restaurant or the caterers!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I mean look at Bin Laden's
    Look at his hand.

You don't make Crips sign when you hangin with the Bloods.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

Which film is on the right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Crasp wrote: »
    Which film is on the right?

Anjelica Huston in Roald Dahl's The Witches (1990)

Advertisement