Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance query

Options
  • 02-02-2019 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭

I have a new car and my girlfriend has an old car. I have a comprehensive insurance policy on new car with my girlfriend as named driver. This gives me 3rd party cover re the use I other cars. Girlfriends car has no insurance policy attached to it. Can I drive it third party as car itself has no insurance tied to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I have a new car and my girlfriend has an old car. I have a comprehensive insurance policy on new car with my girlfriend as named driver. This gives me 3rd party cover re the use I other cars. Girlfriends car has no insurance policy attached to it. Can I drive it third party as car itself has no insurance tied to it?

If your insurance states it must have insurance then no.

But if it states cover on any car with no restrictions then drive away.

One thing they will want is that it's NCT is valid and some it must be taxed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

I appreciate the response. It has nct and tax on it surely. I probably need to read my policy more closely
    If your insurance states it must have insurance then no.

But if it states cover on any car with no restrictions then drive away.

One thing they will want is that it's NCT is valid and some it must be taxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Girlfriends car has no insurance policy attached to it. Can I drive it third party as car itself has no insurance tied to it?

If your policy is with Aviva or Liberty, no you can't as their 'driving other cars' cover has the condition that the car you drive must have a policy in force, whether it covers you or not. For other companies, you need to check the policy document as some of them have restrictions like the car you 'borrow' must not be owned by a member of your 'household'. Which could include a girlfriend you are living with.

Advertisement