Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW E90 - are my injectors leaking?

• 02-02-2019 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

Hi,it's a 318i petrol. For the first couple of minutes of driving the car seems like it's blocked up,but once the engine is warm it runs fine. Lots of black soot in the exhaust tip & soot on the tips of recently changed plugs too.

Would it be possible that the injectors are leaking overnight & it's causing the engine to run rich for those first few minutes?

I've changed an 02 sensor,plugs, coils,air filter but it's still the same. Any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Might be time to try a mechanic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Rex
    This is the DIY forum.
    You're supposed to help..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

biko wrote: »
    Rex
    This is the DIY forum.
    You're supposed to help..

I would consider that helping, they have clearly been firing the parts cannon and getting nowhere? I'm all for DIY but sometimes you have to call it quits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭trixiebust

I'd consider some of those preventative maintenance,but you're obviously entitled to your own opinion. I came here looking for help, if you're not going to offer anything decent,why post anything in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

trixiebust wrote: »
    I'd consider some of those preventative maintenance,but you're obviously entitled to your own opinion. I came here looking for help, if you're not going to offer anything decent,why post anything in the first place?

I would doubt if the injectors are leaking to the point that fuel is draining into the engine.
    Possible that your valve stem oil seals are leaking oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Black smoke not blue when you start it?
    MAF and it's wiring? Just to check it
    Can you run those 318 with MAF disconnected? See how it behaves.

Does the temperature gauge perform normally

Black smoke not blue when you start it?
    MAF and it's wiring? Just to check it
    Can you run those 318 with MAF disconnected? See how it behaves.

Does the temperature gauge perform normally

Thanks for the responses...

Smoke is white until engine has warmed, I haven't checked the MAF ( going to give it a clean today). To me it seems to run too rich,but only for the first few minutes. Like it's burning off excess fuel from sitting too long.

I had a code for an ageing cat, but my mechanic got it to regenerate. It's come back again. Car jerks & shuudders badly under load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

If it feels down on power, it is possibly un-metered air getting in, so not enough fuel being delivered. I can't remember if the E90 has a PCV valve, but this is one area i'd be looking at for un-metered air getting in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Thanks for the responses...

Smoke is white until engine has warmed, I haven't checked the MAF ( going to give it a clean today). To me it seems to run too rich,but only for the first few minutes. Like it's burning off excess fuel from sitting too long.

I had a code for an ageing cat, but my mechanic got it to regenerate. It's come back again. Car jerks & shuudders badly under load.

Wtf?

A 318i petrol? Regenerating?

You can only regenerate a Dpf filter on a diesel. Not a catalytic converter.

I wonder if you have a partially blocked cat? Geet a different mechanic Do a simple manifold vacuum check to see if it's indicating a blocked cat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

Not enough data to say what is wrong. I have obd2 scanner and I can read the live data what is wrong. Sure it does not tell the full story but it shows more than here just the speculating. Only 1 question, you replaced only 1 O2 sensor but typically are there 2 on 1 bank. If you have 2 banks then 4. Sorry I do not know how many 318i have without the vin code.

• Advertisement

After unplugging the MAF the thing runs 90% better. Idle has calmed down a good bit & power seems to have increased too.

New one on the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

After unplugging the MAF the thing runs 90% better. Idle has calmed down a good bit & power seems to have increased too.

New one on the way!

Without maf your engine runs but you will destroy your cat soon. The computer does not know exactly how much air it sucks in. The poor gas mileage, lack of power and other problems. Clean the maf or replace it.

w211 wrote: »

New one on the way!

Without maf your engine runs but you will destroy your cat soon. The computer does not know exactly how much air it sucks in. The poor gas mileage, lack of power and other problems. Clean the maf or replace it.

I have one ordered,will be here in the next few days. But everything seems to run better when I unplug it. Power has definitely increased,my MPG hasn't changed either....

Advertisement