Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Install downlights - easy job?

Options
  • 02-02-2019 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

I’m looking to get downlights installed in 2 rooms which have an existing ceiling rose connection.

Is there a general rule of thumb how many you should go for to properly light a room? They’d be the main source of light in the room bar table lamps. The living room is 5x6m. I was thinking of 3 rows of 4 downlights spaces a metre apart. Would this be sufficient on a dimmable switch ?

Also what rough estimate should I expect to pay for this? (Would involve cutting the ceiling and supply and fit) approx 15 Led downlights & 1 dimmable switch
    Also could someone recommend a good person for this job in South Dublin.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Sounds like too many, too many and it can look like a runway. I’m sure there calculators out there to guide you on the amount and placement.

Retro fitting is tricky, more than likely you’ll need to lift the floors up stairs for access. So up stairs rooms would need to be empty. you’ll also need to get the ceiling patched up afterwards.

It’s the sort of job that many electricans may not be too keen on. If you could plan it out and sort the access problems, it would make it a bit easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

They're a nightmare if there's no attic overhead. I would look at alternative approaches.

For example you can get creative with modern LED lighting using strips and spots.

If they're under an attic, it's relatively easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Thanks for the reply. There’s no upstairs , it’s in a room that juts out from the main house (slanted external roof). New build house, 2 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Well, if you can access the space behind them from an attic it's very easy. The only issue is it will likely leave damage to your ceiling.

They should be cut with a circular cutting bit that's exactly the right size for the fitting and you need to really carefully mark out where they're going and measure everything extremely carefully.

I wouldn't just trust an electrician to be an interior designer.

Get yourself a stud finder and work out the pattern you're happy with in pencil on the ceiling and work from there.

I'd also suggest using LEDs as they are both much cheaper to run and don't get hot.

They should be properly fire rated too. There's are a lot of rubbish fittings out there with open backs.

Open holes in the ceiling also absolutely screw your BER rating in surveys (as I found to my horror in my 1979s house)

Advertisement