Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extractor fan not powering on - Help!

Options
  • 02-02-2019 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭

Hi guys and gals,

Having a bit of bother installing this extractor fan.

My old extractor fan wasn't any good and finally died when condensation built up in the duct pipe going through the attic and came back down and drenched the fan and bathroom floor! When the fan did work, it would come on when I switched the bathroom light off. It would run then on a timer for about 10/15 mins and switch itself off. There is an isolator switch in the bathroom which controlled the power going to the fan.

I installed the new fan but it refused to come on, so I got Amazon to replace it with a new unit, but the 2nd unit acts the exact same way, so its got to be wiring surely at this stage? The new fan only budged a few milometers on a number of occasions, so power is getting to it...

I'm worried the condensation coming back down the pipe and drenching the old fan caused something to blow, perhaps the fan isolator? Anyone any ideas?

I've attached pics of the fan isolator and the cabling going into the new fan.

With my phase tester, I can see that power is getting to the new fan, but the phase bulb is not too bright... If I touch the wall at the same time, the phase tester bulb glows twice as bright.

Is it worth looking to replace the isolator?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

by the looks of it the earth cable was been used for a switched live
    not right to do it that way
    colour codes should be adhered to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

dolittle wrote: »
    by the looks of it the earth cable was been used for a switched live
    not right to do it that way
    colour codes should be adhered to

^^^^THIS^^^^

It’s also not permitted for anyone other than a rec to work in a bathroom
    Get one to replace the cable and install correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

Thanks guys, makes sense now. Whoever installed it was obviously taking shortcuts. I'll get an electrician in!

Advertisement