Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Air to water heat pump

• 02-02-2019 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

We are selecting an air to water heat pump system currently. What are the criteria other than cost I should use when choosing which manufacturer's system to use? Any gotchas I should be aware of? I've heard its difficult to get some manufacturer's pump serviced and repaired because its difficult to get parts in Ireland - is this true?

This is for a retrofit including replacement of windows, will have rads, and will not have underfloor heating. Expected BER rating when complete is A3. We will likely eventually install solar PV panels, though not initially.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 hop

owensul wrote: »
    We are selecting an air to water heat pump system currently. What are the criteria other than cost I should use when choosing which manufacturer's system to use? Any gotchas I should be aware of? I've heard its difficult to get some manufacturer's pump serviced and repaired because its difficult to get parts in Ireland - is this true?

This is for a retrofit including replacement of windows, will have rads, and will not have underfloor heating. Expected BER rating when complete is A3. We will likely eventually install solar PV panels, though not initially.

Just wondering how you are faring out with the heat pump...how does it work with the rads... what's your heating bill working out as

• Registered Users Posts: 8 owensul

It keeps the house very warm, so good from that viewpoint. There is an intermittent dripping noise from one rad - I can't tell if its a drip within the rad or outside the rad but behind the wall. (Anybody know how to determine this without cutting into the wall?)

Our electricity usage is much higher than I expected, most of which I believe is accounted for by the air to water pump. We've switched to a seperate day/night meter to try to reduce this cost, but have not had a bill since this switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Our electricity usage is much higher than I expected, most of which I believe is accounted for by the air to water pump. We've switched to a seperate day/night meter to try to reduce this cost, but have not had a bill since this switch.

Do you mean its a costlier way to heat your home or just more than you expected it to be?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

We've been considering a heat pump in the near future as we want to get rid of the oil if possible.

Do you have a link to the rads you replaced your old ones with and what heat pump did you get?
    What kind of ventilation does your house have?

Thanks!

Electricity usage (and therefore cost) is more than I expected. Probably not more than oil, but more than I expected. Let's see if using night meter solves this.

We got Milano Skye rads. Though you have to be careful to size them appropriately, bigger rads are needed with air-to-water. SEAI website has more info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Electricity usage (and therefore cost) is more than I expected. Probably not more than oil, but more than I expected. Let's see if using night meter solves this.

We got Milano Skye rads. Though you have to be careful to size them appropriately, bigger rads are needed with air-to-water. SEAI website has more info.

Any update?

Night meter has reduced the cost (I don't have exact figures to hand), though its still more than I would have originally expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 skibb man

Hi Owensul, did you manage to make the A3 rating?

Advertisement