Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What mpg are modern petrols getting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I got 70 mpg from my Civic and the Octavia 1.6 would do 65.. of course dropped if you went above 120 on motorway or were doing short hops

Petrols?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

I got 70 mpg from my Civic and the Octavia 1.6 would do 65.. of course dropped if you went above 120 on motorway or were doing short hops

Petrols?
    Diesels

Diesels

Ah right. Yeah. I've heard the civics were misers.

People wondering real world modern petrol figures though.

I'd contend very few will average over 40mpg from a petrol.

But that's just fine in my view for those who do small mileage such as my wife and a lot of others in this country.

Edit sorry you did say diesel from the off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A real life 5.9l/100 km on short hops and town traffic.

Petrol 1.2l non-turbo (90 PS) with a mild hybrid (basically a start/stop generator & small battery that puts a bit of a shove into the drivetrain on acceleration)

I guess the main reason for the low consumption is the fact that the car weighs just 940 kg with a full tank

(Suzuki Ignis, in case you want to know)

The 2 litre Nissan X-trail (173 PS) diesel used 8.5l/100 km for the same driving profile..that one weighed ~1750 kg

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭t8010789

I drive a 2011 Toyota Auris hybrid, 1.8 petrol. I have kept my own record for calculating mpg over the past two years and it averages 52mpg, not the claimed 75mpg. That’s with a good mix of driving with a light enough right foot. We also have a A6 2011 2.0tdi and that averages 40mpg, I’m sure it worsened when they fixed the vw emissions scandal thing.

Diesels

Ah right. Yeah. I've heard the civics were misers.

People wondering real world modern petrol figures though.

I'd contend very few will average over 40mpg from a petrol.

But that's just fine in my view for those who do small mileage such as my wife and a lot of others in this country.

Edit sorry you did say diesel from the off.

Yeah I'm tempted to go for 1.5 petrol dsg vw engine next time around.. I reckon I'll drop from 55pg with my 2 litre Diesel dsg to low 40s with the petrol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is the 1.6 in the Octavia the same engine as the 1.6 in the Golf?

Are you using the onboard computer to get your MPG or calculating it yourself?

NIMAN wrote: »

Is the 1.6 in the Octavia the same engine as the 1.6 in the Golf?

Are you using the onboard computer to get your MPG or calculating it yourself?
    Was a 2010 Octavia.. they have changed it since.. he checked it few times brim to brim

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I have to agree with you on the Mazda Skyactiv-G, I got 42 mpg out of a 2.0 Mazda 3 a few years ago doing about 120-130 km/h. I got 47 mpg out of one on country roads doing 80-100 km/h.

Never got anywhere near those figures out of any other petrol I drove, even small 1.4 litre things.

Have a Mazda 6 Skyactive myself its a bit thirsty round town averaging about 34-35 mpg overall long term with maybe 75 percent town driving, but I'd get fairly similar numbers for the same sort of trips as above maybe minus one or two mpg for the extra weight of the 6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

34mpg.
    Seems about right.

Yikes.

My 03 3.6L 996 Cabrio averages 24mpg on mixed and 26mpg on a run.
    My 01 TT 1.8t 225 bhp averages about 30 mpg.

My daughters 06 1.2 Clio averages 36mpg.

They are all good cars.....at what they're good at is my point. I personally love the Clio 😀

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Blimey. My 20 year old 626 gets low to mid 40's Motorway.

I'd love to know the weight differences between the cars....I remember our old 80's 2.0 626 was a miser on juice......but probaby weighed as much as a coke can......and with a similar NCAP I'd say. ...

As Colin Chapman once said. ..." just add lightness".....that's what's killing modern cars imho: too heavy

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was a 2010 Octavia.. they have changed it since.. he checked it few times brim to brim

Mine is 2016 engine...and I use the onboard to tell me, I assume it doesn't lie (then again its a VW so if it was covering up, my real MPG would be less!!).

Are engines getting less economical?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Are engines getting less economical?

No...as galwaytt said...cars are getting heavier.

today's cars with the engines of 20 years ago would probably use twice the fuel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mengele

From reading these comments in struggling to see in many cases why petrol is being pushed so much unless your doing less than 8000km per year.

Ok lets take a new golf for example.

Petrol advantages
    2k cheaper to buy.

Diesel advantages
    Diesel fuel is cheaper to buy by about 6 to 8 cent.
    Your probably going to get 50 mpg versus 40 mpg in a petrol.
    Tax is going to be cheaper.

Servicing costs are probably similar in a main dealer for both if it was a new car.

Will the smallest diesel engined golf not be also a bit more powerful and torquey then the smallest petrol engined golf?

mengele wrote: »
    From reading these comments in struggling to see in many cases why petrol is being pushed so much unless your doing less than 8000km per year.

Petrol advantages
    2k cheaper to buy.

Diesel advantages

Servicing costs are probably similar in a main dealer for both if it was a new car.

Will the smallest diesel engined golf not be also a bit more powerful and torquey then the smallest petrol engined golf?

The new car is 2 or 3 grand cheaper

Low mileage say 10 or 15 km you are only looking at 200 a year more on juice per annum.
    (In our case 8000km is only a €100 diff)

Tax same
    Insurance less in our case

No dpf problems, I hope.
    Handier on clutch

Thats 10 years of fuel to pay for difference in new car price and hope you get no diesel related low mileage issues.

Drove the 1.6 diesel and 1.0 petrol ateca straight after each other.
    Petrol is quieter and better to 100 or 110. Diesel better at motorway speeds.

Also in future we all expect diesels to be penalised some way, shape or form. Petrols may well be too, but diesel is now dirty again apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

I've had the two petrol cars and I've preferred both of them to the diesels the family loves. The old Laguna II was a big, soft, smooth barge - and the lazy engine under the bonnet and a big slushbox suited that to a tee. Even the RX can do the smooth and quiet thing if asked, provided it doesn't run over a catseye.

Everything else the family has ever driven has the 1.5dci engine - or a variant - in it. Probably a ****e example to use, but it's all I have to go on. It's an utterly hateful mill to drive, especially the 90bhp version which utterly dies above 2500 revs.

The Megane on the drive has done half the miles my RX has - and has been owned for a year longer. And that's from new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

In the UK things are a bit different. Tax is not such a big deal however diesel is anything from 5 to 12p more expensive per liter. Also when you consider all euro 5 cars going into congestion charge in London will be charged £12.50 more per day from April and some of the councils change a lot more for parking diesel cars its becoming quite hostile to diesels.

Next car is going to be a petrol hybrid, I'll have a good look at it in a year or two when my accord hits 200k miles.

medic112 wrote: »
    Pug 5008,

It's a 130bhp auto & sits very comfortably on the motorway with 5 & some luggage. Took it to France last year no bothers at all, quite comfortable when committing to an overtake. Last fill 48.81 ltr = 649km. :)

2006 BMW 525i auto, averaged just under 30mpg over 2400km in 2 weeks over the autumn.

Weighs 22.5% more than the 5008, twice the displacement, 50% more power, ~13 years older in gearbox/engine/aerodynamics, difference = 7-8mpg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Dartz wrote: »
    The old Laguna II was a big, soft, smooth barge - and the lazy engine under the bonnet and a big slushbox suited that to a tee

You must've had the 2L. I had a 1.6 and returned mid 40's mixed driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭dermo2014

marco_polo wrote: »
    Have a Mazda 6 Skyactive myself its a bit thirsty round town averaging about 34-35 mpg overall long term with maybe 75 percent town driving, but I'd get fairly similar numbers for the same sort of trips as above maybe minus one or two mpg for the extra weight of the 6

My 2015 Mazda 6 petrol gets 50/51 mpg doing a 200km weekly commute on N roads and motorway. I'm happy with that.

• Advertisement

mengele wrote: »

Petrol advantages
    2k cheaper to buy.

Diesel advantages

The new car is 2 or 3 grand cheaper

Low mileage say 10 or 15 km you are only looking at 200 a year more on juice per annum.
    (In our case 8000km is only a €100 diff)

Tax same
    Insurance less in our case

No dpf problems, I hope.
    Handier on clutch

Thats 10 years of fuel to pay for difference in new car price and hope you get no diesel related low mileage issues.

Drove the 1.6 diesel and 1.0 petrol ateca straight after each other.
    Petrol is quieter and better to 100 or 110. Diesel better at motorway speeds.

Also in future we all expect diesels to be penalised some way, shape or form. Petrols may well be too, but diesel is now dirty again apparently
    Yep that's the main reason to look at petrol. There's a certain blindness over the last five or six years to the cost of fuel verus the cost of the car.. a lot of people feel better about paying less for fuel at the pump and maybe 100 euro a month less for tax a year even if the car costs 2k more. I get that. Maybe your on fixed PCP payment each month and it's nice to pay 100 euro a month for diesel instead of 125 for petrol even if you could have had a lower PCP on a petrol car.

The added trouble comes in the form of dpfs and egr valves if you are doing short hops in a diesel car like school runs etc and only doing the odd long run. You'll probably get away with this if you are only keeping the car for three years but head into 5 year territory and issues will crop up.

We have a petrol Honda jazz that's ten years old and never given an ounce of bother.. it only does about 5k km a year.. probably do another ten years if we don't get fed up having to nct every year. A lot of people say petrol are way smoother to drive than diesel but it's not night and day either. Some if the smaller petrols rev louder.. I've had a 1 litre karoq dsg petrol on test and drank petrol and I couldn't say it was hugely more quiet than my diesel Octavia. Maybe it was on the outside. You have way more torque with the diesel which is nice to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Ignoring all the madness between the first post and this:

Superb 1.4tsi ACT 6-6.4 l/100km.

My recent ish experience...........

Tipo 1.6 95bhp diesel 42mpg
    500L 1.3 diesel 50mpg
    Focus 1.5 diesel 50mpg
    Astra 1.4 turbo petrol 40mpg
    Auris petrol 1.4 petrol 37mpg
    Yaris 1.0 petrol 45mpg
    Fabia 1.4 tdi  55 ish mpg
    Kuga 2.0d 2WD 45
    Corsa 1.0 petrol 33
    1.0 Ibiza petrol 35/37 ish
    CHR Hybrid petrol 400 miles 50mpg
    Ford Edge 2.0 ecoboost petrol 30mpg 
    Jeep Renegade 1.4 multiair petrol 38mpg 1200m
    Captur 0.9 turbo petrol 41mpg
    Octavia VRS Combi diesel 48.7mpg 566km
    Peugeot 5008 2.0auto,diesel 47/48mpg
    Octavia 1.6 5SM diesel combi 55mpg 
    CLA200d 2.2 45mpg 500 miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

Superb 1.4 TSI 25mpg in city driving for me.

Most times on motorways it's about 40mpg. but maxed out at 52mpg driving Holyhead to Devon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I recently bought a 2011 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi 110, and it's averaging 50 mpg according to the computer. It also has sufficient shove when asked for it. I'm using Dipetane to compensate somewhat for the fact that about 30% of my driving is suburban bimbling. The reason many modern petrols are using particulate filters these days is to do with the rise of gasoline direct-injection (GDI) - that combined with increased operating temperatures and pressures brings with it certain diesel-style issues. Woman's auntie is driving a 181 1.0l Ecoboost Focus, with the ballix turboed out of it - I'm interested to see how reliable the thing is after a couple more years.

jimgoose wrote: »
    I recently bought a 2011 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi 110,...............181 1.0l Ecoboost Focus, with the ballix turboed out of it - I'm interested to see how reliable the thing is after a couple more years.

Fingers crossed your own is reliable :)
    Even serviced on time that 1.6 can be woeful.

Augeo wrote: »
    Fingers crossed your own is reliable :)
    Even serviced on time that 1.6 can be woeful.

I have heard one or two stories. One month in, it seems to be straight enough. It runs on farts, and fails utterly so far to annoy me in any way, so that's good. :D

you might get 55mpg from a 1 little vw petrol but not if you push it hard.. a 2 litre diesel will do 55mpg unless you are doing a lot of stop start driving and you'll have 150bhp at your foot. I know which driving experience I'd prefer.

A 1 litre petrol v 2 litre diesel is not really a fair comparison.

My 1.4tsi ACT has 150bhp and will do 45mpg, rarely strays over 2000rpm, cheaper then diesel to buy, no slimy pumps to contend with, no need to worry about short journeys and DPF's, no need to wind the windows up at idle, in fact you will hardly ever hear the engine. Quick, super refined, frugal.

I know which driving experience I prefer.

If you rarely go above 2000rpm, the 1.6 tdi would be a significantly more pleasant car to drive than the 1.4, nevermind the 2.0.

The last diesel car that I needed to 'wind the windows up at idle' on was a mk3 mondeo, and in case you weren't aware of it, fuel is meant to go into the car not on your hands :)

On the current Superb, the 2.0tdi is the same price as the 1.5TSI

........ fuel is meant to go into the car not on your hands :)..........

that accepted diesel pumps are more often than not smelly ole things.

• Advertisement

Are they?

I've had a petrol car for 5 out of the last 10 years and a diesel for the other 5, I never encountered a difference in pumps. Same abroad when renting cars. I have alcohol wipes in the car for when using a dirty pump or air compressor.

Petrol smells nice and diesel doesn't but I'm not sure what that has to do with either ending up on your hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

2.0 litre Passat, around 54 mpg

It took me a while to figure out the best way to drive it, but it's fairly economic.

It's mostly myself in the car, so if it was full it could be a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

afaik, petrol cars also have particulate filters?

If so, are they as susceptible to being damaged/clogged etc as diesel ones are with city driving? Do they need a good run to clean them out as well?

No. Exhaust temperature from a petrol engine is much higher than from a diesel.

Muckka wrote: »
    2.0 litre Passat, around 54 mpg .

From a petrol???

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I hate when that line is carted out when this discussion comes out. Like its some sort of wisdom. I have a near 40 year old car that can get mid 30's on the motorway but its emissions and safety is terrible. Would crumple like a cheap Chinese bike if I hit a modern car. To use a analogy of aircraft there were fast fighter aircraft in the 70's that were as fast as aircraft are today but if I was in a fight I'd rather be in a F-35 than a F-104. Throwing out one stat to prove a point doesn't mean much without context.

Jeez who rattled your cage? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Last summer, example 61.5 mpg...

472199.png

Whole rental of 680km, 50% of which were on motorways with 140kmh limit, I got 5.4l/100km = 52 mpg.

It's good enough in my book.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

dermo2014 wrote: »
    My 2015 Mazda 6 petrol gets 50/51 mpg doing a 200km weekly commute on N roads and motorway. I'm happy with that.

That's pretty good alright, and broadly in line with what my trip computer claims @100/120 kmph. I don't do enough consistent out town driving to build up an accurate picture (Which may change in the near future so if I was getting similar I'd be a very happy camper).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

1987 C4 Corvette 5.7 litre V8 does ~10l/100km on the motorway hovering around the speed limit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Are they?

I've had a petrol car for 5 out of the last 10 years and a diesel for the other 5, I never encountered a difference in pumps. Same abroad when renting cars. I have alcohol wipes in the car for when using a dirty pump or air compressor.

Petrol smells nice and diesel doesn't but I'm not sure what that has to do with either ending up on your hands!

Diesel has a lubricant so it does not evaporate as easily as petrol does. So if some gets on the pumps it stays there unless washed off, it will also trap dirt.

As a diesel driver I can conform that diesel pumps are nasty in comparison :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I hate when that line is carted out when this discussion comes out. Like its some sort of wisdom. I have a near 40 year old car that can get mid 30's on the motorway but its emissions and safety is terrible. Would crumple like a cheap Chinese bike if I hit a modern car.

To use a analogy of aircraft there were fast fighter aircraft in the 70's that were as fast as aircraft are today but if I was in a fight I'd rather be in a F-35 than a F-104.

Throwing out one stat to prove a point doesn't mean much without context.

I think I once got 18 mpg from the Z, but wheres the fun in driving it for economy :D

Back to context, my most recent daily driver, a 2.2 HDI 607 with 4 speed slushbox, I've done a quick calculation of driving I've done since I last filled it to the brim on Tuesday (taking 49 litres to do 326 miles on Saturday) works out something like 30mpg :o

I'm still getting used to the car and a significant proportion of time was spent in traffic on Friday. I'd be aiming to see mid 30's normally, I would hope!

The last diesel car that I needed to 'wind the windows up at idle' on was a mk3 mondeo,

Of course I am embellishing, but I've had Renaults 1.5tdci, BMW N47, Fords 2.0Tdci (the best of the bunch) and they are day and night compared to VW's 1.4tsi ACT for refinement. Not hearing a diesel clattering away at idle (the N47 was the worst) is a source of ongoing joy.

Vegeta wrote: »
    ...As a diesel driver I can conform that diesel pumps are nasty in comparison :(

It's true, diesel is just like that, a heavy oil compared to petrol. Ford's Easy-Fuel setup helps a little bit, inasmuch as there's no actual filler cap per sé to handle.
    Of course I am embellishing, but I've had Renaults 1.5tdci, BMW N47, Fords 2.0Tdci (the best of the bunch) and they are day and night compared to VW's 1.4tsi ACT for refinement. Not hearing a diesel clattering away at idle (the N47 was the worst) is a source of ongoing joy.

I should point out at this juncture that the Ford/PSV DLD-416 is quite civilised for a diesel also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

As a few posters pointed out, it depends a lot from the size and weight of the car.

Another thing I find interesting, that a lot of petrol Mazdas here return decent mpg considering their size. To make it more interesting Mazda is the only one that went bigger displacement instead of turbo.
    In marketing it sounds a lot better when you have smaller engine and more eco friendly etc, but ironically bigger petrol engine without turbo just more efficient.

From all new technologies out now, Mazda is the only one trying something new and interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭charcosull

2015 Volvo V40 T2 Petrol. 41mpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

05 Focus 1.6 diesel estate flew through the NCT again this year. Nearly 300K km on it, 60 mpg, service once a year. Carries 5 adults and a ton of luggage. Doing about 15k km a year mixed driving. Never an issue with DPF or any of that stuff. Mechanic keeps saying the engine will blow up soon but he's been saying that for years now.

No petrol car would come close to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭b1964

65 and 70mpg??

I don't honestly believe those figures. They are almost like the ones quoted from the manufacturers themselves.

As I said, my 1.6 diesel Golf 'with bluemotion technology' as VW like to call it is averaging 55mpg long term, and thats most in top gear on long stretches, not city driving.

I would take any car claiming 70mpg with a large pinch of salt.

I drove a 2015 honda civic 1-6 diesel for 2 years , and I averaged 67 mpg mixed driving , the claims are true mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Mark 2 Prius (2008) - 65mpg on mostly N roads, down to 55mpg on motorway runs at 110. (Brim to Brim method)
    Ioniq (2017 EV) - 12kWh/100km on mostly N roads, down(up??) to ~15kWh/100km on motorway runs at 125

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

2013 F10 BMW M5 13.6mpg average these days...

Vegeta wrote: »
    1987 C4 Corvette 5.7 litre V8 does ~10l/100km on the motorway hovering around the speed limit :D

You don't have one of those!!

b1964 wrote: »
    I drove a 2015 honda civic 1-6 diesel for 2 years , and I averaged 67 mpg mixed driving , the claims are true mate.

i would say as others have pointed out that weight has a big part to play in this.. id say the civic i drove was much lighter than the octavia im driving.. the body and the engine block.. that was a peach of a honda engine.. they managed to decrease the weight substancially of the engine block while still managing to pump out more torque and bhp than competition for less consumption..

i always compared it to my dads 1.6 diesel octavia which i think was 105bhp - was underpowered for my liking.. the civic hit kindof a sweet spot but i do enjoy the extra 30bhp i have in the octavia now..

• Advertisement
Advertisement