Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What mpg are modern petrols getting

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭b1964

i would say as others have pointed out that weight has a big part to play in this.. id say the civic i drove was much lighter than the octavia im driving.. the body and the engine block.. that was a peach of a honda engine.. they managed to decrease the weight substancially of the engine block while still managing to pump out more torque and bhp than competition for less consumption..

i always compared it to my dads 1.6 diesel octavia which i think was 105bhp - was underpowered for my liking.. the civic hit kindof a sweet spot but i do enjoy the extra 30bhp i have in the octavia now..

I had the same model civic in the 2.2 LT diesel 150 BHP , and have to say I definitely miss the extra power , but you get used to it.mpg where extremely good on that car too around 60mpg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

You don't have one of those!!

You're right, but my brother does :D

I know American cars have a bad rep but the thing is amazing. Has more extras than nearly any car I've owned, electric everything.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

2012 Mondeo 2.0TDI - 48-52 mpg depending on the time of year. Higher mpg in the summer which I presume is due to less warm up time. Ranges 1,150 to 1,300 KM per 70 litre tank.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Vegeta wrote: »
    You're right, but my brother does :D

I know American cars have a bad rep but the thing is amazing. Has more extras than nearly any car I've owned, electric everything.

I love them!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Vegeta wrote: »
    Has more extras than nearly any car I've owned, electric everything.

You can thank VRT for that. We end up with very basic models to keep the pre tax cost down so when VAT and then VRT is added it doesn't price us all out of the market. VRT has to be the greatest con job our government ever came up with. At the very least it should be calculated on the pre VAT price and safety equipment should be exempt from the calculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

21.7mpg from the 325...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

LFCFan wrote: »
    You can thank VRT for that. We end up with very basic models to keep the pre tax cost down so when VAT and then VRT is added it doesn't price us all out of the market. VRT has to be the greatest con job our government ever came up with. At the very least it should be calculated on the pre VAT price and safety equipment should be exempt from the calculation.

Good point regarding the safety equipment. But woudn't that mean that the mandatory airbags and ABS suddenly are 95% of the price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

40 mpg petrol average tracked for 3 years on spiritmonitor
    skoda fabia 1.2 hatch driven with gusto , 33% city rest motorway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

When people say a diesel needs to be warmed up or a petrol takes less time to warm up, what kind of distance/time are you talking?

I'm wondering if I should be avoiding a diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

t8010789 wrote: »
    I drive a 2011 Toyota Auris hybrid, 1.8 petrol. I have kept my own record for calculating mpg over the past two years and it averages 52mpg, not the claimed 75mpg. That’s with a good mix of driving with a light enough right foot. We also have a A6 2011 2.0tdi and that averages 40mpg, I’m sure it worsened when they fixed the vw emissions scandal thing.

Chip or map the A6. My A4 s fuel economy got 6mpg better after it was chipped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

I drive a 2011 Toyota Auris hybrid, 1.8 petrol. I have kept my own record for calculating mpg over the past two years and it averages 52mpg, not the claimed 75mpg. That’s with a good mix of driving with a light enough right foot. We also have a A6 2011 2.0tdi and that averages 40mpg, I’m sure it worsened when they fixed the vw emissions scandal thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

My morning commute says 6.7L/100km

I have no idea what that means in plain english or if its good in comparison to MPG.

What I really wish it told me is exactly how many litres of petrol it used for my journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭zdragon

I'm not anti diesel but the new honda diesels requiring service at 10k km is daft.. that would be nearly three services a year for me. My brother has a vw sharan and it needs a new egr and few more bits costing in excess of 2k.. admittingly they are only doing short journeys so that's probably the main problem.
    new egr ? brand new car?

I thing fur this kind of discussion we need to compare apples to apples.

lets start with the same manufacturer and model
    same mileage driven daily

My VW diesel requires service not as often as 10k . the older it gets the shorter is service interval

Now on topic. saw seat TSI and TDI version are in the same CO band. so probably same MPG. Autostart may save the day for city traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

My morning commute says 6.7L/100km

I have no idea what that means in plain english or if its good in comparison to MPG.

What I really wish it told me is exactly how many litres of petrol it used for my journey.
    It’s eash enough to calculate😋 trip km*0.067= L of fuel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

It’s eash enough to calculate😋 trip km*0.067= L of fuel

Well, I just measured the distance and it's exactly 100.4km round trip. :o
    6.7L it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

9935452 wrote: »

Drove an a6 2014 2.0 TDI automatic to the very north coast of northern Ireland from Dublin today (and back). Most of it between 120 and 140 kmph plus traffic in Dublin and Belfast.
    Average consumption was 6.2l/100kms which is about 46/47 mpg. Fairly happy with that. Long term average on the car is about 40mpg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

zdragon wrote: »
    I'm not anti diesel but the new honda diesels requiring service at 10k km is daft.. that would be nearly three services a year for me. My brother has a vw sharan and it needs a new egr and few more bits costing in excess of 2k.. admittingly they are only doing short journeys so that's probably the main problem.
    new egr ? brand new car?

I thing fur this kind of discussion we need to compare apples to apples.

lets start with the same manufacturer and model
    same mileage driven daily

My VW diesel requires service not as often as 10k . the older it gets the shorter is service interval

Now on topic. saw seat TSI and TDI version are in the same CO band. so probably same MPG. Autostart may save the day for city traffic.
    The sharan is at least 5 years old.. to my earlier post.. I don't think short journeys etc start to appear as issues till after year three with diesels.. my dad's Octavia had the same issue at about 5 years old. The egrs did give trouble in that vw 1.6 engine

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Chances are I have this arseways? but driving an old yoke, my impression with friend's new(er) cars and their fuel consumption is that the differences in fuel consumption between "spirited" driving and normal everyday driving is much narrower than in the past. So if they average say 35 mpg, hammering it they'll return 30 and driving easy they'll return 40 mpg kinda thing and diesel seems to have that narrower range more than petrol? Whereas with my 90's engine I can easily see high 30's on long runs on a light foot, but if my foot goes to the floor it turns into a well engineered leak(well under 20 mpg, more like 15).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Wibbs wrote: »
    Chances are I have this arseways? but driving an old yoke, my impression with friend's new(er) cars and their fuel consumption is that the differences in fuel consumption between "spirited" driving and normal everyday driving is much narrower than in the past. So if they average say 35 mpg, hammering it they'll return 30 and driving easy they'll return 40 mpg kinda thing and diesel seems to have that narrower range more than petrol? Whereas with my 90's engine I can easily see high 30's on long runs on a light foot, but if my foot goes to the floor it turns into a well engineered leak(well under 20 mpg, more like 15).

I have completely opposite experience. Turbo-charged petrol engines are much more sensitive to driving style than naturally aspirated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

My missus is driving an ateca 1.0 tsi since Jan.
    Short journeys.
    38 or so mpg so far.

About what I expected when buying.

Update.
    Looking at 42 or 43mpg average on longer (over 20km) trips

33mpg average on the last tank of very, very short trips. Took a month to use a tank!!!

Advertisement