Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre pay power

Options
  • 03-02-2019 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Anybody got advice on who is best pre pay power agent at the mo. I am with prepay power at mo but wondering if there is better deals to be had.

Thank you
    D

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Get away from prepay if you really want to save.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Dane29

Who do you recommend?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Bonkers.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 17,108 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

A friend was thousands behind on his gas and electric close to 10 years ago. He was never going to be able to get on top of it. His supplier fitted prepay meters free of charge. 25% of top ups came off the big bill. They left him on the regular rate with no daily standing charge. He is the only prepay I've ever come across on a reasonable rate. All companies should offer this imo.

Generally prepay are a rip off. Even if you shut off the total power & gas to the house & go away for two weeks they still take money /credit as a standing charge. I think as much as a euro per day

I love the idea of prepay. No more bills but they should be offering regular rates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Pre pay is usually third party companies. So they are in effect paying your bill, which you have 'payed as you use' to them. And they charge an extra charge for this.

It would be like a neighbour reading your meter daily and you pay the usage to them daily, they pay your bill then, and charge you an extra standing charge for doing what you could do yourself with a piggy bank.

Not that it's easy when things are tight. But that is how it works.

• Advertisement

Buy an electric generator?
    [....gets coat.]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Hi I have no choice about pre-pay, it is already installed by the landlord. My question relates to the charges. The charges have gone up quite a lot in the last year. If I bought €100 top-up per week during the Summer it should last me quite a while. My question is am I any better off to do that? What I mean is will my charges in Nov/Dec eg be charged at the rate of month of top-up or at rate as it will be in the month of usage?

Advertisement