Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swiss do away with automatic-only drivers licence

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

mikeecho wrote: »
    AUTOMATIC VS MANUAL
    Swiss gear up for change to driving licence law

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/society/automatic-vs-manual_swiss-gear-up-for-change-to-driving-test-law/44726126

The Swiss are doing away with the auto only licence restriction, for those that pass their test in an auto.

How long before the EU follows suit

The Irish will take to social media branding it a ‘disgrace’ if it comes in probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Are there any non-automatic EVs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not long left for the stick shift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

I don't think so. No gears anyway as such. Just forward and reverse.

All hybrid are auto too I believe. Necessary for switching between the motors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Nope. Honda CR-Z. Hybrid and manual.
    pah wrote: »
    I don't think so. No gears anyway as such. Just forward and reverse.

All hybrid are auto too I believe. Necessary for switching between the motors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Manual, it's a manual and a bumper and a windscreen and the boot and the bonnet etc,etc,etc...:D

It's the ocd in me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

More and more newer cars are being bought with or the only option is automatic I suppose.
    But that's new and younger cars, how many people who are learning to drive or just past the test are going around in new cars?

My point being, as long as the vast majority of young people are driving manuals, I can't see the driving test changing any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Nope. Honda CR-Z. Hybrid and manual.

That's not a real hybrid though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Highly unlikely. Because of the torque characteristics of electric motors, EVs don't actually need gearboxes as we have hitherto known them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Hmm. Maybe so. But like diesel, manual shift isn't going to disappear anytime soon. I don't personally think someone who has never driven anything but automatic - be it slushbox, DCT, CVT or whatever - should be assumed to be able to handle a manual, particularly around town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

jimgoose wrote: »
    Hmm. Maybe so. But like diesel, manual shift isn't going to disappear anytime soon. I don't personally think someone who has never driven anything but automatic - be it slushbox, DCT, CVT or whatever - should be assumed to be able to handle a manual, particularly around town.

That is the way it is in America as far as I know. You pass your test and you can drive any thing. In fairness it only takes a day or two to get fully used to a manual car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

More and more newer cars are being bought with or the only option is automatic I suppose.
    But that's new and younger cars, how many people who are learning to drive or just past the test are going around in new cars?

My point being, as long as the vast majority of young people are driving manuals, I can't see the driving test changing any time soon.

My eldest passed her test on the 3rd attempt last week - hallelujah - but the reason for the change was obvious : for the two previous tsets she did the test in a manual.......but all our cars at home as re automatic. The instructor told her to stop driving the automatic before the test as it was affecting her. We went and got a cheap Clio and she's been practicing in that only for 6 months.....and passed.

There is a world of difference imho, with a manual needing more effort/skill/concentration. .....and driving an automatic is not comparable.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Manual, it's a manual and a bumper and a windscreen and the boot and the bonnet etc,etc,etc...:D

It's the ocd in me.

And its miles, mph and mpg :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

That is the way it is in America as far as I know. You pass your test and you can drive any thing. In fairness it only takes a day or two to get fully used to a manual car.

Some people are driving for years and still can't use a manual properly.

https://blog.passmefast.co.uk/practical-test/manual-automatic-pass-rates-2017-18/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Problem will be the same as that when Americans come to live here and have to do a full test again. The Swiss will be in the same boat going to live in any country that differentiates between manual and automatic driving tests ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

gozunda wrote: »
    Problem will be the same as that when Americans come to live here and have to do a full test again.

How come they're allowed rent cars?

There's near misses every day on the airport roundabout as Yanks encounter a roundabout for the very first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

A day or two to fully master clutch control, hill start and actually changing gear? In my opinion no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

How come they're allowed rent cars?

There's near misses every day on the airport roundabout as Yanks encounter a roundabout for the very first time.

Because unlike Irish licences, there's no such thing as an automatic only licence in America. Rental companies have no idea if the person renting a car can drive manual or not, they just give it to them regardless unless they request an automatic.

I'd say the poor clutches on some of the airport rentals must be in a heap.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭pawdee

Why do they still make cars with manual gearboxes in 2019? They're a pane in the whole to drive compared with automatics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

pawdee wrote: »
    Why do they still make cars with manual gearboxes in 2019? They're a pane in the whole to drive compared with automatics.

I enjoy driving a manual personally. DSG is the closest thing I've tried to it, but your bog standard CVT is boring unless it's a small town car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Much like learning to spell correctly....sorry, couldn't resist. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

More fun. If you like driving.

swarlb wrote: »
    Much like learning to spell correctly....sorry, couldn't resist. :D

Your write. An udder difficult skill to master. Tanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

jimgoose wrote: »
    Highly unlikely. Because of the torque characteristics of electric motors, EVs don't actually need gearboxes as we have hitherto known them.

Still though. Max torque from zero revs.. By the time you get to even just 80kph, that motor is caning it. And running out of torque. I wonder if an extremely reinforced gearbox with just two gears, one for town and one for motorway - and not just the standard reduction box they have - wouldn't transform the lower powered or smaller motored cars..

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Missionary position is for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Lower mechanical losses meaning greater fuel efficiency. Manual boxes will be "greener" for some time. Robotic manual boxes are damn close, in comparison to the hydraulic automatics that everyone's used to, but they're also damn expensive..

Missionary position is for you?

The late Bishop Casey was a crazy driver and a bit of a petrol (and slap) head. I remember he drove a Lancia Thema back in the 80s. That had a manual gearbox. After his fall from grace he spent some time in a missionary position in South America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The late Bishop Casey was a crazy driver and a bit of a petrol (and slap) head. I remember he drove a Lancia Thema back in the 80s. That had a manual gearbox. After his fall from grace he spent some time in a missionary position in South America.

Christy Moore had a song about that and the sheepdogs in Kerry .... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

beauf wrote: »

In the same way some people find it more fun to get up to change the channels on their tv by hand :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

beauf wrote: »
    People used to say that about crash gearboxes but you never ever hear it now.

I'd say it's 30 years since I heard anyone say a crash gearbox is better if you like driving.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

People used to say that about crash gearboxes but you never ever hear it now.

I'd say it's 30 years since I heard anyone say a crash gearbox is better if you like driving.

You’re pedal bike don’t have one.

Flappy paddle change on my is250 auto is seriously fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

It's always going to be a polarizing topic - it could be argued that the bulk of "learning to drive" is "learning to manage the transmission". You'll hardly ever find a learner who finds it though to input the right amount of steering; A few will be struggling with parallel parking, while the vast majority struggle with setting off, changing gears and not causing the car to bog down. So, the statement "learning to drive an automatic is simply learning the rules of the road" has a foundation.

That said...it's a matter of how long a pedal clutch will still be around - I've recently read an article about a classic Alfa Romeo (from 1952, I think it might have been a 1900, not sure) and I realized that if I hopped into one I wouldn't be able to get it going as the controls are quite different from what we use today. It's just natural that in a decade or so, people able to drive "manual" will be a diminishing percentage - just like the folks who can drive something with the accelerator pedal in the middle.

As for EVs with gearboxes...I hope some do it; One of the most unappealing things for an enthusiast is the "bumper car" feeling of not being able to control the car's speed / acceleration through gearing. It would be a completely fun-oriented effort, putting an F1 style 'box on an electric motor, but it could also help with top speed for track-oriented cars (think, Electric equivalent of a 4C or a GT86).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Was told that the new A 6 comes in auto only, A lot of truck manufactures are also doing away with the manual boxes and going for auto/semi boxes.
    The manual box were handy during the snow as you can use the gears to slow you down rather than the brakes, Sure in years to come they probably be no manual for people to do their tests in.

Was told that the new A 6 comes in auto only, A lot of truck manufactures are also doing away with the manual boxes and going for auto/semi boxes.
    The manual box were handy during the snow as you can use the gears to slow you down rather than the brakes, Sure in years to come they probably be no manual for people to do their tests in.

Nearly every auto has a gear selection mode anyway, sport mode etc. I drove this way recently with the icy roads to change down the gears rather than brake.

• Advertisement
Advertisement