Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

big pots in shaded corner

Options
  • 03-02-2019 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭

Ok, I have two big terracotta pots (I'd have to check size) sitting at the back door that I want to move because one of the dogs keeps digging at them. I was thinking of moving them to the side of the house, which is technically east facing but there is only 8-10ft between gabel wall and boundary wall where neighbours have a wooden fence to the height of 7-8ft, so fairly sheltered but wouldn't have the greatest sunlight. The north end of the area is closed off with a wall and gate, access to the area is from the south side. The area is currently gravelled to make mowing the lawn easier.

I was thinking of planting something in the pots that would climb helping to cover the low block wall and timber panel fence. But I haven't a clue what would/wouldn't work. Has anyone got any suggestions. The kitchen window looks out onto this area so something with colour would be lovely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It can be hard enough to get things to grow vigorously in pots anyway, in a shaded situation you really are not going to do that well. I could suggest climbing hydrangea which would grow in shade, but it makes a big root and would soon outgrow the pot. Ivy is another possibility but it can be a weed. I would be inclined to forget the climbing aspect and put in a large arching fern and maybe a couple of smaller ones and make a focal point rather than trying to cover the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Thank you!

I kind of figured as much, but worth a try asking. I'll just have to have a rethink of where to put the pots as the dog is driving me round the twist with the digging!

Might the dog be less interested in digging if there was two or three inches of pebbles on the soil surface? The plants would like it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

You say the area is gravelled, so if it were easy enough to pull back some gravel and dig a hole or trench, you could plant the hydrangea mentioned above, directly into the ground.
    Might be a good idea to pull back all the gravel , make the necessary holes, cover area with weed-proof membrane, make cross-cuts over the holes ,plant your shrubs, then re-spread the gravel.

@looksee, that's a good idea about the gravel/stones. It might just deter him. It's the bare soil he's digging at and I'm fed up of the back step being mucky and it being dragged into the house. I had nasturtiums (sp?) In them last year because he dug up the roses that were in them. What would grow well with a layer of stones? Presumably something from seed wouldn't?

@hocus focus, I don't want to go routing at the gravel tbh. It's a pain in the ass area really as it's small, in a corner, not a whole lot of sunlight. There used to be lawn in the area, and I put down the gravel last year so that I'd have no maintenance and make life easier for myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

scarepanda wrote: »
    @looksee, that's a good idea about the gravel/stones. It might just deter him. It's the bare soil he's digging at and I'm fed up of the back step being mucky and it being dragged into the house. I had nasturtiums (sp?) In them last year because he dug up the roses that were in them. What would grow well with a layer of stones? Presumably something from seed wouldn't?

Seen some program on TV saying it is good for thyme plants to have stones on the surface under the stems and leaves as they are from drier climates and getting rain splashed compost on the stems and leaves doesn't suit them. Guess anything from drier areas could benefit in the same way. Rosemary or lavender might be nice options.

Seeds would be a bit difficult to get started, but pretty much any established plant will love having a layer of pebbles over its roots, off hand I can't think of anything that would object.

Edit - possibly woody stems would do better, though I am only saying that as a guess.

Thanks so much everyone! Ill ask in the garden centre and see what they would recommend!

Advertisement