Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to read new oven temperature dial

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

73trix wrote: »
    Now I'm really confused as there's such a difference in opinion.
    you should be less confused, its not like a 4th idea was suggested. At the start you were not sure and offered 3 suggestions, only 2 were seen as plausible, if the 200 was the dot before it would suggest the temp went to 300C.
    fritzelly wrote: »
    Dunno how people are seeing it as below 200
    coylemj wrote: »
    The suggestion that the user is supposed to figure out that to set it to 200, you set the dial to the dot either before or after 200 is completely barmy.
    I thought it was explained logically fairly well :confused:

Alun wrote: »
    User manual for that doesn't give any useful information in that regard.
    Strangely the manual does not explicitly say the max temp. It does say

To support the self-cleaning procedure, heat
    the empty oven on a regular basis.
    1. Clean the oven floor with warm water and
    washing up liquid, then dry it.
    2. Set the oven temperature to 250 °C and let
    the oven operate for 1 hour.
    3. When the appliance is cool, clean it with a
    soft and moist sponge.

I know my BBQ said to set to max temp to clean it, not sure about household ovens. Maybe those that go to 275C do recommend a cleaning temp of just 250C but I thought it would have been max to burn stuff off.

At first I said I logically did not think it went to 275C as I had not heard of any regular oven going that high, but now know some do. So I was then fairly 50/50, but seeing the cleaning temp I am back thinking it is more likely 250C, but am open to be turned again if those with 275C ovens have 250C cleaning recommendations. (could well be a fire hazard or something)

The initial cleaning instructions do say to go to max temp (again not explicitly saying what it is)

Initial Cleaning
    Remove all accessories from the appliance.
    Refer to "Care and cleaning"
    chapter.
    Clean the appliance and the accessories before
    first use.
    Put the accessories back to their initial position.
    Preheating
    Preheat the empty appliance before first use.
    Preheat the two ovens. Heat up one
    oven at a time.
    1. Set the maximum temperature.
    2. Let the appliance operate for 1 hour.
    3. Set the function .
    4. Let the appliance operate for 15 minutes.
    Accessories can become hotter than usual. The
    appliance can emit an odour and smoke. This is
    normal. Make sure that the airflow is sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Turning the dial as far it will go gives max temp.
    I have a Hotpoint at present ,it has 20 degree segments starting at 80c and going to 240c.I do quite a bit of cooking on it mostly in the 180c-200c range,so I am very familiar with reading those temp dials.I never refer to the manual to clean it,just use common sense.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

73trix wrote: »
    That makes the most sense! Thanks all. :-)

Definitely get an oven thermometer to put it to bed for once and for all ;). Given that it's new, I'd be more included to think it does go up to 275, but I also see Rubadub's point about the cleaning setting. All ovens tend to vary a bit in temperature anyway, so a thermometer will help you get the best understanding of that exact oven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

What a disasterous design.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

A bit of elbow grease for cleaning,it's a cooker,not a NASA rocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Faith wrote: »
    Definitely get an oven thermometer to put it to bed for once and for all ;). Given that it's new, I'd be more included to think it does go up to 275, but I also see Rubadub's point about the cleaning setting. All ovens tend to vary a bit in temperature anyway, so a thermometer will help you get the best understanding of that exact oven.

Or just try boiling water

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

ted1 wrote: »
    Or just try boiling water

All that will tell you is the oven is at or above 100 degrees. If you’re trying to bake a cake at 180, that’s not much use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The sugar tests will also let you figure out where hot/cold spots are in the oven.

IMG_1400.JPG

Advertisement