Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the pharmacy course like in UCD?

Options
  • 03-02-2019 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

I'm planning on picking pharmacy either in Trinity or UCD on the CAO choices and was wondering which is better? I've heard that UCD is a better college in general for STEM subjects but others say that having a degree in science/medicine from Trinity can be seen as more "prestigious" by employers.

What's your experience

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

I'm planning on picking pharmacy either in Trinity or UCD on the CAO choices and was wondering which is better? I've heard that UCD is a better college in general for STEM subjects but others say that having a degree in science/medicine from Trinity can be seen as more "prestigious" by employers.

What's your experience

There is no "Pharmacy" (as in the 2 degrees you need to become a pharmacist) course in UCD. Trinity, RCSI and UCC are the only schools in the Republic that offer Pharmacy.

As for Pharmacy in those 3 schools they're all much of a much to be honest. RCSI is a bit more clinical, UCC tends to be a tiny bit more industry based, Trinity's modules are a tiny bit old fashioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 178327172

What's your experience

It’s non-existant unfortunately... trinity and UCC are the only colleges in Ireland that offer pharmacy currently, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

178327172 wrote: »
    It’s non-existant unfortunately... trinity and UCC are the only colleges in Ireland that offer pharmacy currently, I believe.

Is it good though (does it guarantee a job)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 178327172

Is it good though (does it guarantee a job)?

I suppose so, a pharmacist is likely an in-demand job, however I’m not currently studying pharmacy so I can’t be 100% sure on this.
    I know a pharmacy course is quite heavily chemistry based. I always enjoyed chem at school but at college I realised it was quite tedious and difficult. I know people who study pharmacy who love it but also some who hate it and find the materials quite boring. But it all depends on yourself, I’m not the best person to be asking! Maybe try speaking to your local pharmacist, maybe even get some placement work over the summer etc., I know some who have done that!

Advertisement