Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting Ethernet

Options
  • 03-02-2019 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for the best way to split Ethernet cables. Currently I have an Eir F2000 modem beside the front door where the main cable comes into the house. That has 1 ethernet cable that goes under the stairs through a wall to behind a tv where I have it connected to a CCTV DVR. I'm looking to use this cable to be able to split it so I can have seperate wires to the DVR, Sky box and Xbox.

What would be the best way to have this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

markc1184 wrote: »
    I'm looking for the best way to split Ethernet cables. Currently I have an Eir F2000 modem beside the front door where the main cable comes into the house. That has 1 ethernet cable that goes under the stairs through a wall to behind a tv where I have it connected to a CCTV DVR. I'm looking to use this cable to be able to split it so I can have seperate wires to the DVR, Sky box and Xbox.

Why split the cable and not use a network switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Splitting isn't really a thing with ethernet, 'switch'ing is what you are looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

• Run the seperate wires from the DVR, Sky box and Xbox to a central point
    • Put a small 4/8 port swith at this central point
    • Run a cable from this point to the modem

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Something like this is what you need
    https://www.freetv.ie/gigabit-network-switch/

You can get such switches with many more ports if you need more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

Get yourself a small switch like the one @Johnboy1951 linked to.
    You can buy them off the shelf in the same kind of places places you'd buy a TV for about the same price.
    You'll also need 3 short cat5 patch cables - just like the cable plugged into the Eir modem or the DVR.
    If you can get different colours do - it can be easier to see what you're doing in behind the TV and a stack of wires.

Take the existing cable out of the DVR, plug it into the new switch.
    Take the three new cables, plug one end into the switch and the other ends into each of the DVR, SKy Box and Xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

niallb wrote: »
    You'll also need 3 short cat5 patch cables - just like the cable plugged into the Eir

Future proof yourself by getting at minimum cat5e cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

degsie wrote: »
    Future proof yourself by getting at minimum cat5e cable.
    At six inches long, there's not a lot to worry about.
    They'll be cat5e at least anyway unless you have a time machine!

Advertisement