Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding RAM

Options
  • 03-02-2019 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Hi,

I have 8gb of DDR4 Corsair Vengeance.

Everything I keep reading says I have to replace the 8gb completely and buy 16gb instead of just adding a new 8gb stick? I get you shouldn't mix ram but if I get the same RAM from the same place then surely I can just put the extra stick in the matching slot?

Cheers,

Dan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Do you have single stick 8gb of ram currently?

If you have a single stick you can add another 8gb stick,this will then run in dual channel,which is what you want.

If you have 2 x 4gb sticks you could add another 2 x 4gb sticks as well if you have four memory dimm slots to put them in on your motherboard.

If you have 2x 4gb you could also sell them and upgrade to 2 x 8gb so your running dual channel,which again is what you want.

So it boils down to what your current config is. 1 x 8gb stick and id just buy another 8gb stick of the same ram and stick it in. If your current setup is 2 x 4gb sticks id sell those and go with 2 x 8gb sticks with a second option being buy another 2 x 4gb if you have four memory slots on your motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Flashdan

EoinHef wrote: »
    Do you have single stick 8gb of ram currently?

If you have a single stick you can add another 8gb stick,this will then run in dual channel,which is what you want.

If you have 2 x 4gb sticks you could add another 2 x 4gb sticks as well if you have four memory dimm slots to put them in on your motherboard.

If you have 2x 4gb you could also sell them and upgrade to 2 x 8gb so your running dual channel,which again is what you want.

So it boils down to what your current config is. 1 x 8gb stick and id just buy another 8gb stick of the same ram and stick it in. If your current setup is 2 x 4gb sticks id sell those and go with 2 x 8gb sticks with a second option being buy another 2 x 4gb if you have four memory slots on your motherboard.

I have just 1 8gb stick. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

as EoinHef pointed out, just try to get the same model as the current stick you have in your rig and there should be no issues

Advertisement