Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crew cab options

• 03-02-2019 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi everyone. I’m looking to buy a crew cab as a second car. Uses are pulling a trailer with a few cattle, kids bikes, kids, etc. Doing all the donkey work. Thinking around 10-13k mark and open to NI imports. Want to tax it commercially.
    What make/model do you guys recommend and why. Manual or automatic?
    Tks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if you can live with the maintenance its a damn capable tow car : https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/land-rover-range-rover-3-6-tdv8-vogue-5-seater/20931419

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-x5-crew-cab/20630006 not the best specc'd example but theyre decent to tow with.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭AgriLad

Are you looking for an all enclosed one like the ones suggested above or like a pickup e.g ford ranger, L200

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Invalid user

AgriLad wrote: »
    Are you looking for an all enclosed one like the ones suggested above or like a pickup e.g ford ranger, L200

A pickup style like ranger, L200, Amorak etc. Open back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Any issues with getting commercial tax? I have a herd no.
    I would be willling to spend a bit more for something more modern and lower miles.
    Any benefit for importing from NI?

• Advertisement

No issue at all getting it with a herd number.

Manual or automatic?! 🀔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

if you can live with the maintenance its a damn capable tow car : https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/land-rover-range-rover-3-6-tdv8-vogue-5-seater/20931419

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-x5-crew-cab/20630006 not the best specc'd example but theyre decent to tow with.

Both given to trouble of the expensive variety, id be interested to see what 2 yr warranty is going with the rangy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Sorry for hijacking thread but what's the difference in motor tax in say a Ford Ranger 2 door and crew cab ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

liam7831 wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking thread but what's the difference in motor tax in say a Ford Ranger 2 door and crew cab ?
    No difference, both €333

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

In my experience, there has yet to be built a pick up which is comfortable, my favourite of the options is the Ford ranger but not the ones which were a mazda with Ford badge, not sure which year this changed?

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    In my experience, there has yet to be built a pick up which is comfortable, my favourite of the options is the Ford ranger but not the ones which were a mazda with Ford badge, not sure which year this changed?

The amarok and x class are miles apart and are a much more car like drive, you were definitely correct but things have come a long way

The amarok and x class are miles apart and are a much more car like drive, you were definitely correct but things have come a long way

Yes but the amorak are troublesome

The 2.0, the 3.0 v6 is pretty solid

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭banana_bear

What are the common problems of the Amarok?

What are the common problems of the Amarok?

The 2.0 180bhp bi tdi engine has a high failure rate , the auto box had some oil issue aswell, the 3.0 is unaffected by both,

Theres advice that suggests dropping the oil change interval to 10,000km and checking for sludge from failed oil cooler mitigates most of the issues in the 2.0 but its still worth paying for the V6, its a lot nicer especially with a load on the back.

The 2.0 180bhp bi tdi engine has a high failure rate , the auto box had some oil issue aswell

Do you have any sources for these issues? I don't mean to be smart, but I'm in the last stages of buying a pickup and was going for a 180HP 2.0l auto Amarok. I have done extensive research in german forums and come to the conclusion that there weren't any systematic faults with the 180HP engine. The 160HP version seems to have belt issues.

Anecdotal evidence (but impressive, none the less):
    https://www.union-transport-pkw.de/berichterstattung-auto-bild/

This guy buys and sells classic cars in germany and drives all over the place, almost always with a trailer. His first Amarok (2011) needed a new engine after 295'000km (that's 2x as much as my current car did in its entire life). This second engine gave him trouble at 750'000(!!) km when he decided to sell the car. Despite that, he bought another Amarok in march 2014. At the time of the article (11/2017), he just cracked 700'000km with this truck. There was damage to the auto box at 371'000km, exchanged by VW on warranty, apart from that nothing but consumables. Twice he had to renew brake disks, the last set of tyres lasted him 245'000km. 0.2l oil / 1000km. Since the car is out of warranty, he's only going for oil changes every 6 months. That's every 100'00'km.

Again, that's only anecdotal evidence and doesn't mean much, yer man is driving ultra long distances at low and constant speeds, but I still think it's somewhat impressive.
    its still worth paying for the V6, its a lot nicer especially with a load on the back.

I won't be pulling much or hauling any considerable load, so I don't need the power. The V6 is out of my budget anyway. Plus I'll have to tax it privately, which is one of the reasons the Amarok appeals to me over the Hiluxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭BnB

No issue at all getting it with a herd number.

Just to be 100% clear - You might be asked (depending on the county - I was asked in Clare) for proof that the herd number is active such as a recent letter from the department.

RE Auto Vs Manual, I bought an 06 Pajero for doing similar lately (towing a box once a week, general mucking around). The one I bought has an automatic gearbox and it was my first time towing with an auto - and I have to say, tis' feckin' mighty. The Auto box makes it very very easy to tow and drive in general. I'd never go back to the manual for towing now and would be tempted to go Auto for my daily driver next time I'm changing that too

Do you have any sources for these issues? I don't mean to be smart, but I'm in the last stages of buying a pickup and was going for a 180HP 2.0l auto Amarok. I have done extensive research in german forums and come to the conclusion that there weren't any systematic faults with the 180HP engine. The 160HP version seems to have belt issues.

Anecdotal evidence (but impressive, none the less):
    https://www.union-transport-pkw.de/berichterstattung-auto-bild/

This guy buys and sells classic cars in germany and drives all over the place, almost always with a trailer. His first Amarok (2011) needed a new engine after 295'000km (that's 2x as much as my current car did in its entire life). This second engine gave him trouble at 750'000(!!) km when he decided to sell the car. Despite that, he bought another Amarok in march 2014. At the time of the article (11/2017), he just cracked 700'000km with this truck. There was damage to the auto box at 371'000km, exchanged by VW on warranty, apart from that nothing but consumables. Twice he had to renew brake disks, the last set of tyres lasted him 245'000km. 0.2l oil / 1000km. Since the car is out of warranty, he's only going for oil changes every 6 months. That's every 100'00'km.

Again, that's only anecdotal evidence and doesn't mean much, yer man is driving ultra long distances at low and constant speeds, but I still think it's somewhat impressive.

I won't be pulling much or hauling any considerable load, so I don't need the power. The V6 is out of my budget anyway. Plus I'll have to tax it privately, which is one of the reasons the Amarok appeals to me over the Hiluxes.

Check honsetjohn.co.uk and go to good and bad , theres also some forum links ill get you later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

The hilux would be a much safer choice than the amorak. Practically bullet proof. Toyota reiability is well known, not the case with VW.
    The savings you'd make in tax between the two would be negligible once things start going wrong with the VW.

I’ve a neighbour on his second Amarok and hasn’t had any problems as far as I know, I also haven’t seen or heard much about them giving issues. They are made up of parts from other vws all of which are very realiable so wouldn’t fear an amarok too much to be honest.

Wailin wrote: »
    The hilux would be a much safer choice than the amorak. Practically bullet proof. Toyota reiability is well known, not the case with VW.
    The savings you'd make in tax between the two would be negligible once things start going wrong with the VW.

The hilux is not as much ahead of the competition in pick up trucks as landcruiser are in their segment

The Ford ranger is every bit as good as a hilux and far more stylish, nicer to drive too (as pick ups go)

Not sure about the mitsubishi L200 but they look OK

The hilux is not as much ahead of the competition in pick up trucks as landcruiser are in their segment

The Ford ranger is every bit as good as a hilux and far more stylish, nicer to drive too (as pick ups go)

Not sure about the mitsubishi L200 but they look OK

I'm talking about reliability, not how stylish or how nice it is to drive.

this isnt the 80s anymore. The new 2.8d is a pig of an engine in the hilux and landcruiser, the older 3 litre is mostly grand except it likes injectors and oil leaks, electrics have had some issues. Theyre still pretty reliable but the 2007 onwards landcruiser is a different animal to the one topgear abused over a decade ago. They all have DPF's , complicated gearboxes, egr's , variable turbos and all the other emissions trick boxes that help get diesels over the emissions rule lines.

The advantage of the amarok is you share a lot of parts with the vw transporter, touareg, audi q7 etc.. in the case of the 2 litre engine you share even more parts with more vehicles, finding spares is easy and cheap as all of those vehicles sold very well.

I'm talking about reliability, not how stylish or how nice it is to drive.

And I'm saying the hilux isn't the landcruiser in terms of reliability, the ranger is as reliable

The hilux isn't a standout by any means, its overpriced for what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

this isnt the 80s anymore. The new 2.8d is a pig of an engine in the hilux and landcruiser, the older 3 litre is mostly grand except it likes injectors and oil leaks, electrics have had some issues. Theyre still pretty reliable but the 2007 onwards landcruiser is a different animal to the one topgear abused over a decade ago..

Absolutely, the 3.0 D landcruiser was far from bulletproof and the "new" 2.8 landcruiser engine feels like something from the 80s.

Absolutely, the 3.0 D landcruiser was far from bulletproof and the "new" 2.8 landcruiser engine feels like something from the 80s.

I have a 2006 landcruiser, bar the brake callipers, I've never had a single issue over 215 k kilometres

this isnt the 80s anymore. The new 2.8d is a pig of an engine in the hilux and landcruiser, the older 3 litre is mostly grand except it likes injectors and oil leaks, electrics have had some issues. Theyre still pretty reliable but the 2007 onwards landcruiser is a different animal to the one topgear abused over a decade ago. They all have DPF's , complicated gearboxes, egr's , variable turbos and all the other emissions trick boxes that help get diesels over the emissions rule lines.

The advantage of the amarok is you share a lot of parts with the vw transporter, touareg, audi q7 etc.. in the case of the 2 litre engine you share even more parts with more vehicles, finding spares is easy and cheap as all of those vehicles sold very well.

What are you even talking about? 2.8 L engine? The hilux has a 2.4 L 150hp engine. There's two of them in the family and not an issue with either, one has 160,000 miles of fairly rugged use. You seriously comparing the reliability of a Toyota to a VW?

80's indeed.

• Advertisement

And I'm saying the hilux isn't the landcruiser in terms of reliability, the ranger is as reliable

The hilux isn't a standout by any means, its overpriced for what it is.

I was comparing the hilux to the amorak, not the ranger.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

What are you even talking about? 2.8 L engine? The hilux has a 2.4 L 150hp engine. There's two of them in the family and not an issue with either, one has 160,000 miles of fairly rugged use. You seriously comparing the reliability of a Toyota to a VW?

80's indeed.

Are you disrespecting his authoritah?

80's indeed.

When did the 2.4 engine arrive in the hilux?

Yeah i think the ranger, especially in Wildtrak trim, is the best looking of them all. It has a good reliable engine too, unlike the amorak. The wildtrak only comes with a 3.2 l engine though.

2015. Weird edit btw!

Check honsetjohn.co.uk and go to good and bad , theres also some forum links ill get you later

On honestjohn I can't see anything in the forum:
    https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/Forum/Search?f=&author=&model=&subject=&q=amarok&days=0

The only review I found there is a generic and useless one of the sort "we drove a brand new one for a few miles and found the cupholder to be in an inconvenient location":
    https://vans.honestjohn.co.uk/van-reviews/volkswagen/amarok-2011/

But mabye I'm not looking in the right spot?

I know the 2.5l and 3l Hilux Vigo are pretty much bomb proof. They're a 15 year old design as well, not many surprises there at this stage. I don't expect the Amarok to be as cheap in its upkeep. There's a lot more tech on it, and it has two turbo chargers (which means there are twice as many turbo chargers that can break). But so far, nothing I read indicates that there are any common faults. I don't think it's a case of "owners blindness" either, I haven't bought the puppy yet. On the contrary, if there are any common faults I'm eager to know, but I can't find anything.

• Advertisement

2015. Weird edit btw!

Yeah, sometimes you have a rethink and realise that you said too much the first time

Yeah i think the ranger, especially in Wildtrak trim, is the best looking of them all. It has a good reliable engine too, unlike the amorak. The wildtrak only comes with a 3.2 l engine though.

I've only driven the 3.2, seems a waste to buy the 2.2 ranger if you ask me, better go all out and get the big beast

I test drove a fiat fullback last week for the craic, its a mitsubishi L 200 with a fiat badge, it was grand but I thought the space in the back was very tight, you would struggle to fit a child's seat with anyone remotely tall in the front

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Bigsliothar

Have the Amarok 2.0 180bhp 93k no issues whatsoever bar regular maintenance .

Well pleased with it to be honest

The only review I found there is a generic and useless one of the sort "we drove a brand new one for a few miles and found the cupholder to be in an inconvenient location":
    https://vans.honestjohn.co.uk/van-reviews/volkswagen/amarok-2011/

But mabye I'm not looking in the right spot?

I guess I'm not. Here's a few interesting leads:
    https://vans.honestjohn.co.uk/van-reviews/volkswagen/amarok-2011/good/

Currently looking into it, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I've only driven the 3.2, seems a waste to buy the 2.2 ranger if you ask me, better go all out and get the big beast

I test drove a fiat fullback last week for the craic, its a mitsubishi L 200 with a fiat badge, it was grand but I thought the space in the back was very tight, you would struggle to fit a child's seat with anyone remotely tall in the front

3.2 is geared for towing and far less refined than the 2.2. It depends what you plan on using it for I suppose.

• Advertisement

3.2 is geared for towing and far less refined than the 2.2. It depends what you plan on using it for I suppose.

Its a pity you can't get the 2.2 in the wildtrak trim though, they look very impressive. Easily the best looking pick up at the moment imo.

32131095037_49c84ab6ec_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Its a pity you can't get the 2.2 in the wildtrak trim though, they look very impressive. Easily the best looking pick up at the moment imo.

32131095037_49c84ab6ec_c.jpg

I agree that they look nice, the orange trim might take a bit of getting used to though

Advertisement