Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External wall insulation

Options
  • 03-02-2019 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Hi All.

ME an my girlfriend house is classic 1950 Irish ex council house its a mid terraced house.

It has been expanded in the back by building on a 2nd bathroom and building on to the Kittion.

IT has also had a new roof and and have converted the attic this year as well and have insulated the attic and still the house is super cold and the heating could be on for a hour and i am still sitting in bed with a blanket around me and a jumper!!!

So I am wondering would an External wall insulation make much of a difference ?

Will I keep heat in our should I look at changing the heating system in the house ?.

My mothers house is the guts of 3 times the size of this and she is able to keep it warm with just oil heating but that was built in 1999 a lot newer then ours.

So what are my options for trying to make the house warm ?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

A lot of questions there, all of which can be accurately answered with a heat loss survey. I would want to be sure of where my heat was going before spending on expensive upgrades like EWI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

heat loss survey what is one of them?.

What does it include?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

This thread is similar about getting an energy assessment done. It lists how the SEAI has registered technical advisers and where to find them.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057952483

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

heat loss survey what is one of them?.

What does it include?.

A heat loss survey covers the three types of heat loss mechanisms; conduction(insulation), convection(draughts) and radiation(glazing), all of which have a role to play in heat loss from a building as well as occupant comfort. Tools used include thermal imaging and a blower door for air tightness. Scope should also include appropriate ventilation and heating system (including control) appraisal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Thanks everyone it's something I am going to looking at in the coming weeks.

As the next stage for the house is getting the smart heating controls fitted and then work out after with the report where I can fix the coldness in the house.

But here's the problem is house is extramly warm in the summer but so cold in the winter!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement