Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti pollution masks

Options
  • 03-02-2019 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭

With the cold weather seen the amount of fumes coming from some vehicles has got me considering wearing one of these.

Does anybody here wear one? Does anybody have any insights into their effectiveness?

Are they comfortable?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i used to wear one many years ago - with a charcoal filter you'd replace from time to time.
    not sure if they've changed much, but on cold mornings i wouldn't get much more than half an hour of of them as the moisture in your breath would condense inside it and clog it up to the point it became difficult to breathe.

however, don't forget that the cold weather is not exposing the amount of pollution in the car exhausts, it's exposing the water content in car exhausts. water vapour is the major component in petrol exhaust, IIRC.
    obviously diesel may be different, and the particulate matter in diesel exhaust is one you're more likely to see fall when wearing a decent smog mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

when i used to commute in derby , many years ago !, i used to use a respro and found my hay fever disappeared

and i had to change the filters every few weeks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i still have that smog mask, btw, i just use it now when sanding. it's great for keeping out wood dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Useless, i get fit tested at work, those masks just lull you into a false sense of security.

90% of everything will go around the side, more if you are breathing hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Tried the Respro for same reason that you mentioned as particularly noticed the fumes on cold winter mornings. Found it restricted my breathing too much so gave up after a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭positron

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

positron wrote: »
    Cheers, at about 12 min in the outcome from the science world is that they wouldn’t recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

ted1 wrote: »
    Cheers, at about 12 min in the outcome from the science world is that they wouldn’t recommend them.

I probably should have expanded my original post, a fit test is a face mask test.

All the cheaper masks do is reduce the physically bigger bits, all the real nastys go around the side or through the weave and into your lungs anyway.

Just trying to read a poem slowly whilst stepping back and forth with a bastard tight custom half mask on is easy to fail, never mind cycling and screaming at people to look up from their phone .

If you want real protection you need a full face and air supply which isn't a cheap option (or light).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you want to improve things lobby during LE19 for Cllrs that'll ban diesels from built up areas. They're what are retarding your kids and making you sick.

• Advertisement
Advertisement