Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebuilding Ireland home loan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Cazzums

Can I ask how long it took for you to get approval with them?
    Thanks

I applied the first day applications were being taken and it still took over 15 weeks to get my approval and that was with no issues! It’s awful slow, you really need so much patience!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Evenstevens

Cazzums wrote: »
    I applied the first day applications were being taken and it still took over 15 weeks to get my approval and that was with no issues! It’s awful slow, you really need so much patience!

I don't mind waiting.Especially as it's only valid for six months if you do get approved.

Maybe the arse will fall out of the economy in the meantime and prices will be more realistic :) Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Does anyone know if for example you were approved for say 200k but you found you only actually needed 180K are you obliged to take the full amount from the council or can you just take what's needed?

Also, if you are approved for this based on salary and you buy a house and then change jobs down the line and your salary is over the threshold is that an issue or is it more about what your salary is at the time of application?

Thanks

I would not advise changing jobs before drawdown of any home loan of any kind due to potential issues with probationary periods

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Viktoria99

Hi Guys, how long it took for you to get the keys after signing the contract?

How long does it take for the drowdown after sign in the contract?

Hi Guys,

How long did it take you to drawdown the money after signing the contract?

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

adraigh wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Appreciate the reply.

I read earlier in the thread that they use the previous year's P60.
    I earned less than 50k gross in 2017 and therefore the P60 indicates that.

Assume they'd still see my income coming into my bank account now and work out that I earn over 50k now?

Just want to be 100% on this

Just asked RBI through the webchat cause I'm in the same situation:
    They will look at the salary certificate which has been filled in on the application form by your employer on what your current gross annual salary is plus any extra ( overtime,bonuses,commission ) and then look at your four most recent payslips to see what you are earning and calculating from them what you will be earning over this year

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SweetMummy

I did apply to 3 councils and have received approval from all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SweetMummy

Could anyone tell whether Mortgage Protection Insurance has to be taken from any other insurance provider? I have received mortgage approval from Kildare C oCo and MPI is 11.5% of the monthly mortgage repayment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

SweetMummy wrote: »
    Could anyone tell whether Mortgage Protection Insurance has to be taken from any other insurance provider? I have received mortgage approval from Kildare C oCo and MPI is 11.5% of the monthly mortgage repayment

What is Mortgage Protection Insurance?
    Mortgage Protection Insurance (MPI) is a requirement of borrowing.

The Local Authority MPI scheme is a group scheme. It is obligatory for all borrowers who meet the eligibility criteria to join the scheme.

The benefits include:

the payment of mortgage repayments if there is a valid claim as a result of disability;
    an additional payment of €3,000 in the event of a member’s death, separate to life cover; and
    members are also covered for death up to age 75.
    Full terms and conditions of the scheme are available from your local authority.

Source http://rebuildingirelandhomeloan.ie/faq/

the mortgage protection is outrageous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Cubah

As in the price or?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Shamboo1801

I worked out that the mortgage protection is adding .9% to the mortgage. That's still 2.9% fixed, better than anything the banks are offering. Plus, the cash amout will reduce over the duration of the mortgage as the outstanding balance reduces.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Its very hard to compare like with like with this MPI scheme. For instance, the premium does not change for one vs. two borrowers. Similarly age, employment type, etc are not accounted for.

Its very hard to compare like with like with this MPI scheme. For instance, the premium does not change for one vs. two borrowers. Similarly age, employment type, etc are not accounted for.

It does seem to vary going by previous posts and I have heard of anything between .55% and 1.5% of outstanding balance. Mine is just shy of .9% which I can live with. Plus, the charge will decrease with the balance.

I worked out that the mortgage protection is adding .9% to the mortgage. That's still 2.9% fixed, better than anything the banks are offering. Plus, the cash amout will reduce over the duration of the mortgage as the outstanding balance reduces.

It is a bit misleading in fairness. The calculator on the site makes it out to be better than it actually is. It does mention mpi in the small print on that page but nothing in the calculations. I didn't think it'd work out at an extra 0.9% but you're probably right.

Cubah wrote: »
    It is a bit misleading in fairness. The calculator on the site makes it out to be better than it actually is. It does mention mpi in the small print on that page but nothing in the calculations. I didn't think it'd work out at an extra 0.9% but you're probably right.
    Being honest, I think mine is a little bit higher due to age, I'm no spring chicken. But when we were getting approval, the council did contact us to say the MPI was a bit high were we happy to proceed. I still believe it's the best deal out there. My biggest point for going for it, no surprises. No bank letter stating your mortgage is going up by €200 due to interest hikes.

It does seem to vary going by previous posts and I have heard of anything between .55% and 1.5% of outstanding balance. Mine is just shy of .9% which I can live with. Plus, the charge will decrease with the balance.

It shouldn't really vary - the monthly premium is 0.555% of your Capital divided by 12. What percentage that makes of your monthly payment will be different for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

It shouldn't really vary - the monthly premium is 0.555% of your Capital divided by 12. What percentage that makes of your monthly payment will be different for everyone.

Yeah I'm fairly sure that it's just calculated as 0.555% of the amount you borrow and then divided by the amount of installments.
    From what I saw of it, it doesn't discriminate on age or situation and was told that it's the highest cover you can get.

I've just done my maths a dozen times and for the life of me I can't get the .9 that I was convinced I was paying. Did your method and it's nearly to the penny what we're paying. My apologies for the confusion. Seems I'm paying less than what I thought. God I am getting old!!

BKWDR wrote: »
    Yeah I'm fairly sure that it's just calculated as 0.555% of the amount you borrow and then divided by the amount of installments.
    From what I saw of it, it doesn't discriminate on age or situation and was told that it's the highest cover you can get.
    I've just done my maths a dozen times and for the life of me I can't get the .9 that I was convinced I was paying. Did your method and it's nearly to the penny what we're paying. My apologies for the confusion. Seems I'm paying less than what I thought. God I am getting old!!

All good :) Also good news, the MPI premium will reduce over the term of the mortgage as it is re-calculated each year, as your capital reduces year on year.

• Advertisement

All good :) Also good news, the MPI premium will reduce over the term of the mortgage as it is re-calculated each year, as your capital reduces year on year.
    That's one of the reasons I was so happy to go with the RBI loan, no surprises. It can only go down over time, unlike a bank mortgage which I have no doubt is only going to rise once the ECB start to increase rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Hi all,

Thinking of applying for this but I'm on a fairly low gross salary. Confident I can afford repayments etc. as I'm already paying rent equivalent to what my monthly payment would be.

I have 15k deposit and want to borrow 135k.

Aware of the 3.5 times your salary rule however their online calculator is saying I can borrow up to 5x salary on the 30 year fixed rate option.

Has anyone earning under 30k applied by themselves and had it approved?

Being honest, I think mine is a little bit higher due to age, I'm no spring chicken. But when we were getting approval, the council did contact us to say the MPI was a bit high were we happy to proceed. I still believe it's the best deal out there. My biggest point for going for it, no surprises. No bank letter stating your mortgage is going up by €200 due to interest hikes.

Yeah the no surprises thing is key. Assuming you went fixed anyway. But even on the variable i can't see it changing too much either considering they aren't trying to make more and more money like banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Guys what is this HPL1 form? If I'm applying for laois but currently living in Kildare. Do I just send it off to the revenue commissioner and they send it back stamped??

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MooneyMoo

How did it go with the letter of offer?

Mine is in process 7 weeks now. I got the property I want to buy valued and the engineers report done. Laois County Council got their engineer report done and now I'm told I have to just wait for the letter of offer. How long did it take for you to get yours after the council did their own report?

Thanks

Laura

MooneyMoo wrote: »
    How did it go with the letter of offer?

Mine is in process 7 weeks now. I got the property I want to buy valued and the engineers report done. Laois County Council got their engineer report done and now I'm told I have to just wait for the letter of offer. How long did it take for you to get yours after the council did their own report?

Thanks

Laura

We got the letter of offer after 4 weeks with fingal

Anyone knows how long does it take to drowdown?

Viktoria99 wrote: »
    Anyone knows how long does it take to drowdown?

Varies massively, depends on the conveyance process. Any planning/Land Reg issues could unexpectedly delay it. Ask your solicitor how it's going, you're paying them handsomely for it

Guys,
    where are you getting the two letters of lower offers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Evenstevens

Guys,
    where are you getting the two letters of lower offers?

Got one from AIB and one from KBC.

AIB have a simple online approval in principle you can apply for. That appears to have been accepted by one of the county councils I applied to . Havent heard back from others.

KBC I had to do all the paperwork, statements etc but in fairness they came back quite quickly with approval in principle.

Advertisement