Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW e-Golf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

charlieIRL wrote: »
    When i was connected to one of the ESB chargers last week, it said it was charging at 7.4kw with their cable so its not a setting in the car restricting it.

I hope you weren't slow charging on a triple head AC 43kW? :eek: :mad: :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

unkel wrote: »
    I hope you weren't slow charging on a triple head AC 43kW? :eek: :mad: :p

I was..........

......cause the CCS head was out of order! 2 hours earlier i was chatting a Kia Soul driver at the same spot, who had just plugged in and told me he'd be there for at least an hour. I had 30 odd kms left at the time.

When i came back the CCS wouldn't work so had to plug into the AC had. We were there about 45 mins when a 30kWh Leaf pulled in and were in a bad way for a charge so i disconnected and let them have the charger.

BTW the leaf had a 3 bike rack on the back and the owner was telling me he lost a third of his range with it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I was..........

......cause the CCS head was out of order! 2 hours earlier i was chatting a Kia Soul driver at the same spot, who had just plugged in and told me he'd be there for at least an hour. I had 30 odd kms left at the time.

When i came back the CCS wouldn't work so had to plug into the AC had. We were there about 45 mins when a 30kWh Leaf pulled in and were in a bad way for a charge so i disconnected and let them have the charger.

BTW the leaf had a 3 bike rack on the back and the owner was telling me he lost a third of his range with it.

Leaf should have been able to charge without you stopping if you were only using the AC.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Leaf should have been able to charge without you stopping if you were only using the AC.

As it turns out, the chademo head wasn’t working either! Our super charging system!!

The poor family had to drive at 60kph, in the hard shoulder of the motorway with hazards on, to try reach the Athlone Plaza. Not ideal at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Mickeroo wrote: »
    So with this scrappage deal it should be potentially €27.5k and €31k?

That's really good if it's the case.

It's 29.5k for basic one

Scrappage is 3k

Tempted but not sure if it's even worth 29.5k with 50kWh cars available for that soon

• Advertisement

€29.5k on the road? You got a quote from them, Mike9832?

That's very good value for money. You won't get a comparable quality car with a 50kWh battery for under €30k any time soon. Not until 2021 with the base ID.3 and somehow I doubt it has the same (semi-)premium feel to it that the eGolf has. If you haven't already, go test drive one.

If I wanted a new EV now rather than in 2021, and the eGolf was big enough for me, I'd buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,072 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Tempted but not sure if it's even worth 29.5k with 50kWh cars available for that soon

The day you buy an EV is the day I fall off my chair in work in shock :pac:

I think you've considered buying most of them at this stage now but ruled them all out. My money is on you ending up with a Fiesta ST or something a bit mad like that!!

the leaf had a 3 bike rack on the back and the owner was telling me he lost a third of his range with it.

Sounds about right. You'd lose even more than that in Ioniq with the same setup.

Mike9832 wrote: »
    It's 29.5k for basic one

Scrappage is 3k

Where did you see that??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Seems VW are providing a Climate Action grant and €3k is the figure for the eGolf but can be as much as €5k depending on which model you are buying.
    https://www.volkswagen.ie/en/offers-and-products/new-car-offers/climate-action-grant.html

I think the catch is you pay 5% interest whereas as it would be 0% without the grant so they will get some of it back off you.

Still, its better than a poke in the eye and more like the price it should be (i.e. <€30k)

• Advertisement

In fairness, €32k is already not that bad a price for a car that is clearly a step up from Leaf or Ioniq in most ways. Quality of materials used, the way it drives and handles. Not a cheap econobox from the far east! And at €29k it's a bit of a steal, although there's no way I'd pay 5% interest on financing it. Over 5 years fully financed that would cost you nearly €4k in interest. No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

In fairness, €32k is already not that bad a price for a car that is clearly a step up from Leaf or Ioniq in most ways. Quality of materials used, the way it drives and handles. Not a cheap econobox from the far east! And at €29k it's a bit of a steal, although there's no way I'd pay 5% interest on financing it. Over 5 years fully financed that would cost you nearly €4k in interest. No thanks.

If you were to buy the Comfortline on HP at 4.9 and scrappage it’s very good value (4.9 is a seriously good HP rate). Would suit someone with a scrapper and a bit of cash.

Otherwise buying the Executive on PCP it would be 0percent without scrappage.

Do you have to go 100% finance on HP or can you pay a significant deposit (as well as handing over your scrapper)? And what are the possible terms?

Obviously the cost of finance is a lot less than €4k if you can pay a deposit and / or have a term shorter than 5 years.

Do you have to go 100% finance on HP or can you pay a significant deposit (as well as handing over your scrapper)? And what are the possible terms?

Obviously the cost of finance is a lot less than €4k if you can pay a deposit and / or have a term shorter than 5 years.

You can borrow as much as 90percent and as little as 3,000 on HP.

Terms are anything up to 48months.

So you could use scrapper and balance over 48 months or scrapper plus 50 percent deposit and balance over 24 months.

Loads of options with HP.

So to minimise finance cost, can you confirm that you could borrow just €3k on HP and pay it off over just 24 months? That implies finance cost of just €150 (5% * 2 years * average outstanding balance of €1500) which would make the €29k eGolf a terrific deal!

I don’t know why you’d want to borrow 3K but yes!

I don’t know why you’d want to borrow 3K but yes!

I wouldn't want to borrow anything, but if borrowing means I get another €3k off the price, then I'll borrow the least possible amount :)

I wouldn't want to borrow anything, but if borrowing means I get another €3k off the price, then I'll borrow the least possible amount :)

Oh sorry, you don’t have to borrow to get the scrappage.

Thanks for clearing that up! A very nice deal so, a €29k eGolf. If I went into a VW dealer tomorrow ready to transfer over €29k, I would get the car on the road for that price?

Thats a great deal now.

Pity they don't supply the correct charging cables with them though :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭Soarer

So what's the real world range of the eGolf at this stage?

I know there are varying conditions/driving styles/etc.
    But for a rapidly aging 40 something doing most of his driving in 50/80 km/h zones?

And for the odd motorway jaunt sitting at 110 km/h indicated?

Soarer wrote: »

But for a rapidly aging 40 something doing most of his driving in 50/80 km/h zones?

Similar driving to me, light right foot, executive golf with 17" alloys - 180 kms.

Also be aware that VW are supplying them with 20a cables which take twice as long to charge than a 32a one. Takes mine nearly 12:40 hours to charge from one bar on We Connect. 4:35 hours if i use the cable from the Zoe at work.

20a cable
    493536.png

32a cable
    493537.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Good review of the 2019 eGolf here on Reddit. New buyer updating after a few thousand miles. Good read I think:

https://www.reddit.com/r/electricvehicles/comments/dj3t4a/2019_egolf_review/

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

Soarer wrote: »

I find it 200km driving around the place with a 60/40 mix between non and motorway. I didn’t do much driving at slower speeds in the winter months but I’m expecting 180/170.

180/170 with motorway mainly and 160/150 winter with motorway.

* I’d also like to note that my cable I got seams to be the 32A one since my charging is fine when on a slow charger , I must double check it though. I mainly use fast chargers and home charging

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

Any chance that egolf price to go down again in January?

kris_2021 wrote: »

Can’t imagine many more drops, 8 weeks ago the knocked off €5k and was it last week a new scrappage scheme of €3k came in? Makes the CL version seriously good value

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

Went to 2 dealers and there is no room for any negotiation at the moment 😢

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Went to 2 dealers and there is no room for any negotiation at the moment 😢

What was the on the road price they were quoting you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Who knows, but doubtful, imo.

Its a run-out model so they are really just incentivising it before deliveries of ID.3 start in May 2020... at some point prior to that they will probably stop making eGolfs and that will be that.

At €29k I'd say its at rock bottom and reasonable value.

Advertisement