Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW e-Golf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

KCross wrote: »
    Who knows, but doubtful, imo.

Its a run-out model so they are really just incentivising it before deliveries of ID.3 start in May 2020... at some point prior to that they will probably stop making eGolfs and that will be that.

At €29k I'd say its at rock bottom and reasonable value.

But only if u have old car. My 2010 insignia doesn't meet this scrappage scheme criteria. And there is no 0% this way. And I want executive model :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

kris_2021 wrote: »
    But only if u have old car. My 2010 insignia doesn't meet this scrappage scheme criteria. And there is no 0% this way. And I want executive model :)

Swap ya an 04 A4!!

I got the executive as well, glad I went for it over the comfortline. Remember the range is slightly less as well. If you can afford it, get the heat pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Swap ya an 04 A4!!

I got the executive as well, glad I went for it over the comfortline. Remember the range is slightly less as well. If you can afford it, get the heat pump.

Did u buy after price drop? What range r u getting? Would love heat pump but that is another 1000 and egolf is already stretching my budget. What colour?

kris_2021 wrote: »
    Did u buy after price drop? What range r u getting? Would love heat pump but that is another 1000 and egolf is already stretching my budget. What colour?

I did

I was getting 210kms at first 3 weeks ago but with the colder weather it’s dropped to 180 and was less yesterday and I didn’t even use the heater.
    Range drops a huge amount without heat pump when you turn on the heating, as much as 50kms

I got mine in Atlantic blue. I’ve had 4 grey cars, 3 black ones so wanted a change in colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

Really interesting thread, after reading the whole thread, I think an egolf might be for us.

Looking up heatpumps, we don't do huge mileages so I'm undecided about them and whether to go for one or not? What other extras are worth having?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

loopymum wrote: »
    Really interesting thread, after reading the whole thread, I think an egolf might be for us.

Looking up heatpumps, we don't do huge mileages so I'm undecided about them and whether to go for one or not? What other extras are worth having?

Winter Pack
    Keyless Entry
    Active Display
    Park Distance Control

IMO

Dempsey wrote: »
    Winter Pack
    Keyless Entry
    Active Display
    Park Distance Control

IMO

Just buy an Executive version!!

Regarding winter range, mine only read 154kms this morning after a full nights charge. That’s the lowest it’s ever read. I haven’t been driving hard either.

Can you reset all the GOM stats like in the Zoe? And let it start learning / averaging out again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Dempsey wrote: »
    Winter Pack
    Keyless Entry
    Active Display
    Park Distance Control

IMO

I wouldnt personally go with keyless entry with the current spate of robberies.

Active display is good if you are using Sat Nav alot, bar that its nice to look at but not really a must

Parking sensors yes, dont get the self parking as it is a waste of time.

Winter pack is good, the heated seats are great

We would all love that :D

• Advertisement

loopymum wrote: »

Very hard to find a model with heat pump included. The dealers dont seem to be aware of the advantage so they dont order in.Should be deals on in stock models.

What sort of driving you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

I just looked at Fuelio for the last two months since I changed my car and I do approximately 1300 miles per month. I imagine I would up that though if I had an electric as would cost me peanuts compared to now. We are a two car household, home charging isn't an issue and I can also charge at work

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Buying new & have 37k to burn. Buying 2nd hand? You'll be waiting a while!
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I wouldnt personally go with keyless entry with the current spate of robberies.

Active display is good if you are using Sat Nav alot, bar that its nice to look at but not really a must

Parking sensors yes, dont get the self parking as it is a waste of time.

Winter pack is good, the heated seats are great

Whats the story with the keyless access issue?
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Very hard to find a model with heat pump included. The dealers dont seem to be aware of the advantage so they dont order in.Should be deals on in stock models.

What sort of driving you doing?

Is there any real world testing data for the heat pump vs without that justifies the price of one?

There is a few ex-demo Executives for sale but with a new one you get 0% finance so is a better deal.

I got into mine this morning (pre-heated throught the We Connect App) and it was showing 189kms fully charged. Turn on the heater in "Auto" mode and heat set to "Hi" and it drops to 110kms, set it down one notch at 29.5 and range is 130kms.

You'll use the heater blower more than you think, especially with kids so my big regret is not getting the heat pump. It would prevent this drastic drop in range. I asked tech guy in VW about it and he said max. it should drop is 10kms. Not sure if he's driven one long term to experiecnce it.

This morning I drove 53kms dropping them off at school and then on to work, driving easy, and i have 102kms left. Consumption was 21.7kWh/100kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I got into mine this morning (pre-heated throught the We Connect App) and it was showing 189kms fully charged. Turn on the heater in "Auto" mode and heat set to "Hi" and it drops to 110kms

LOL!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yikes! The Ioniq was giving me 16km less (190 vs 206) with heat on this morning which is the worst I've ever seen and that was with the car pre conditioned!

The numbers didn't add up though as I only used 13% bettery on the 26km commute, which is better than usual these days.

unkel wrote: »
    LOL!

Ridiculous isn't it?

You don't get told that by a salesman

Can't wait for summer!!!!:D

Actually, question for other e-Golf owners, how much difference are you getting in range switching between "Normal" "Eco" and "Eco+"

When I got mine the difference between Normal and Eco+ was signficant but now, 5 weeks later, its only a couple of kms. Hardly worth switching between them now as there's no heat on Eco+

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I got into mine this morning (pre-heated throught the We Connect App) and it was showing 189kms fully charged. Turn on the heater in "Auto" mode and heat set to "Hi" and it drops to 110kms,

Setting it to "Hi" though means that it isnt doing climate control anymore... its simply running at max heat generation all the time so that is going to hurt range but realistically you wouldnt be able to drive too long with the heat set to max the entire time so I dont think it really matters.

What did you get this morning when you set the heat to something more normal like 21?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

The energy consumption of "Hi" is probably equivalent of two domestic fan heaters running at full tilt so you'd need to open the windows soon enough to keep comfortable even on the frostiest morning.

"Auto" at 18-22'C ftw to keep the heater energy consumption at sane levels.

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    Setting it to "Hi" though means that it isnt doing climate control anymore... its simply running at max heat generation all the time so that is going to hurt range but realistically you wouldnt be able to drive too long with the heat set to max the entire time so I dont think it really matters.

What did you get this morning when you set the heat to something more normal like 21?

I never run it on Hi due to the consumption - start off at 29 and gradually work it down to 22 once the cabin gets warm enough for the kids. Preheating is brilliant on cold mornings so within a few miles you are reducing the temperature.

For every 2 degres you drop, you gain 2kms!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I never run it on Hi due to the consumption - start off at 29 and gradually work it down to 22 once the cabin gets warm enough for the kids.

Why do you do that?

The whole idea of "Auto" and climate control is that you set the temp and the car will get you to that temp as quickly as it can.

Setting it to Hi and working it down manually doesnt heat the car faster.

You're creating work for yourself! :D

Not sure why i do it to be honest. If i don't pre-heat the car then i need it heated up as quick as possible when we start driving (its great having nearly instant heat!)

Might just set it to 22 next time and Auto and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

https://ev-database.org/car/1087/Volkswagen-e-Golf

I don’t know about the rest of you’s but I found this site spot on with its ranges for what I get from my eGolf. I don’t have a heat pump or the eco alloys either. I think it would be a good guide for people interested in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

"There is a few ex-demo Executives for sale but with a new one you get 0% finance so is a better deal.

I got into mine this morning (pre-heated throught the We Connect App) and it was showing 189kms fully charged. Turn on the heater in "Auto" mode and heat set to "Hi" and it drops to 110kms, set it down one notch at 29.5 and range is 130kms. "

there's a lot of ex demos in the uk if you want to travel - some with heat pumps.
    i got my 2nd hand egolf a couple of weeks ago. its not ex demo, its (about to become) an 181-D reg but it is executive and i was happy with the price and where i had to pick it up from. even now, after the scrappage deal that came out the day before i flew over, i'm at peace with what i paid.

i wanted a heat pump but most of the dealers i spoke too couldn't tell me if their car had one or not. often i requested pictures of under the bonnet and then told them if it had the heat pump!

with the heat pump, putting my heating on (auto set to 22 degrees) takes about 15/20km off.

the range meter thing is close to useless in my opinion and drives me to paranoia and distraction. i prefer to look at the battery dial and estimate based on a mental calculation of 16kw. my driving has fluctuated from 13.5 to 19kw/100.
    interestingly my best economy of 13.5kw came with a bike rack and two bmx bikes on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

What year is your car?

The range meter was updated in the middle of 2018 and is very accurate. It’s based on the last 20kms of your driving style.

Ie if you drove 20kms on the motorway and turned the car off and on again, the range would drop because the car is presuming you’re going to continue driving as per the last 20kms. Likewise if you did 20kms in town driving and turned it off and on the range would increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

What year is your car?

The range meter was updated in the middle of 2018 and is very accurate. It’s based on the last 20kms of your driving style.

Ie if you drove 20kms on the motorway and turned the car off and on again, the range would drop because the car is presuming you’re going to continue driving as per the last 20kms. Likewise if you did 20kms in town driving and turned it off and on the range would increase.

First registered March 2018. I can see the gom changing as a drive, I’m assuming it’s updating and it’s quite satisfying when I can get it to go back up (the a55 from Chester to Holyhead was great for this!)

It’s still early days for me and the car but I just don’t enjoy the range meter and the variation it shows - it’s possible I might just be looking too much at it and over obsessing (that is the kind of thing I do). I do find the meter more stable on longer journey - I assume the car’s warmed up, the maths becomes more consistent over a longer time frame or something.

Yeah unfortunately you have the old range meter which is terrible (NEDC based, Ie it’s allowed to lie). New one came week 22/18

Edit I should also say you’re suffering from range anxiety which is normal for a new EV driver.

Safe to reset your trip and allow for a realistic 160-180 from a full charge this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭User1998

Did anyone have trouble setting up the We Connect App after buying second hand? I’ve set it up and currently listed as a guest user? And to become a primary user and get e-remote it says its free but valid until June 2019? So not valid ..

• Advertisement

User1998 wrote: »
    Did anyone have trouble setting up the We Connect App after buying second hand? I’ve set it up and currently listed as a guest user? And to become a primary user and get e-remote it says its free but valid until June 2019? So not valid ..

You need to hook your Hotspot up to the car so

Menu - Settings - WLAN and then hook your hotspot there, that’ll give the car internet.

Then Menu, Settings, Car net - Should give you an option for users and delete the old user.

You then need to Input the Vin number for your E golf into the App and it will generate an 8 digit code. Go back into the car net on the screen and enter the 8 digit code. This will register you as the User.

(We connect is the New car net)

Advertisement