Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW e-Golf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭User1998

You need to hook your Hotspot up to the car so

Menu - Settings - WLAN and then hook your hotspot there, that’ll give the car internet.

Then Menu, Settings, Car net - Should give you an option for users and delete the old user.

You then need to Input the Vin number for your E golf into the App and it will generate an 8 digit code. Go back into the car net on the screen and enter the 8 digit code. This will register you as the User.

(We connect is the New car net)

Sorry I should have mentioned, its a GTE mk7 so it has the older radio. There are no WLAN settings. I put the vin number into the app and it never gave me a code and has me down as a guest user so I can’t use any of the features.. Think I’l ring Volkswagen on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

User1998 wrote: »
    Sorry I should have mentioned, its a GTE mk7 so it has the older radio. There are no WLAN settings. I put the vin number into the app and it never gave me a code and has me down as a guest user so I can’t use any of the features.. Think I’l ring Volkswagen on Monday

If you click Menu on the radio, then go across to settings and then down along there should be a WLAN option.

If you press on Menu do you see a Car Net tile?

If you click Menu on the radio, then go across to settings and then down along there should be a WLAN option.

If you press on Menu do you see a Car Net tile?

No it’s definitely not there, and there is no Car net tile either

User1998 wrote: »
    No it’s definitely not there, and there is no Car net tile either

You don’t have and won’t have access to the We Connect app so...

If you look in the bottom corner of one of the Windows, drivers side, you see a small bit of black text, at the very bottom of that there’ll be a couple of dots and a number ie ...5 or ...6 will tell you when the car was built .

You don’t have and won’t have access to the We Connect app so...

If you look in the bottom corner of one of the Windows, drivers side, you see a small bit of black text, at the very bottom of that there’ll be a couple of dots and a number ie ...5 or ...6 will tell you when the car was built .

Ah thats a shame.. I’l have a look. Thanks for your help couldn’t find it anywhere online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Is there a data plug connected on drivers side in the obd

NBar wrote: »
    Is there a data plug connected on drivers side in the obd

That’s a different thing altogether, and is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Yea, I happen to get the data plug with mine, rarely use the app. It doesnt seem to be useful at all tbh

Has anyone found anything useful on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

Yeah unfortunately you have the old range meter which is terrible (NEDC based, Ie it’s allowed to lie). New one came week 22/18

Edit I should also say you’re suffering from range anxiety which is normal for a new EV driver.

Safe to reset your trip and allow for a realistic 160-180 from a full charge this time of year.

That’s unfortunate - surely some kind of software update could fix that?
    But yes, range anxiety or at least range awareness:)

Dempsey wrote: »
    Yea, I happen to get the data plug with mine, rarely use the app. It doesnt seem to be useful at all tbh

Has anyone found anything useful on it?

Your what? E-Golf? All the E Golfs should have access to the We Connect app. Again, press Menu and check for the Car net tile

• Advertisement

Your what? E-Golf? All the E Golfs should have access to the We Connect app. Again, press Menu and check for the Car net tile

Car net only works if you provide the network

The dataplug/'we connect go' doesnt provide anything useful

The 'we connect app' is painfully slow

Why is there 2 apps at all??

Dempsey wrote: »
    Car net only works if you provide the network

The dataplug/'we connect go' doesnt provide anything useful

The 'we connect app' is painfully slow

Why is there 2 apps at all??

The second app is basically for cars that didn’t (and still don’t as in basic Polos and Golfs) have access to the car net. I think any Vw for the last 15 years can connect to the data plug which will record information like trips, car location... it’ll also send your information to the local Vw dealer when you’re due a service etc

Car net is gone now anyway, anyone with Car net has to use the We connect App. Basically down the line with the new ID.3 you can update the car after purchase with options like cruise control, app connect etc etc without having to go to the dealer.

It’s like having an Apple ID, you’ll have a We Connect profile to bring from car to car.

Car Net works for me when I provide the hotspot

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

160 kms range indicated from a full charge the last 4 or 5 charges, drops to 145kms when I turn on the heat at 22 degrees. Have to drive in Normal mode as I’ve no heating driving in Eco. Not wanting to drive anywhere with less than 30kms left, that leaves me with a useable 115-ish Kms.

Very disappointing

Also, took a long time to get connected to the EasyGo charger in Kinnegad yesterday, had plugged in and couldn’t get started with the app so thankfully a leaf owner who pulled in at the same time started the charge for me. Family with me so we waited in the car as I was only topping up to 80% to get home and after 10 mins noticed it wasn’t charging. Took another 5 to get it going and only had less than 10 mins to get to a soccer match locally. They weren’t impressed!!
    We were to go to McDonalds in the Athlone plaza on the way home after the game but had to go to Kinnegad plaza again as I didn’t think I’d make it. Fun day in an EV again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

charlieIRL wrote: »
    160 kms range indicated from a full charge the last 4 or 5 charges, drops to 145kms when I turn on the heat at 22 degrees. Have to drive in Normal mode as I’ve no heating driving in Eco. Not wanting to drive anywhere with less than 30kms left, that leaves me with a useable 115-ish Kms.

Very disappointing

Also, took a long time to get connected to the EasyGo charger in Kinnegad yesterday, had plugged in and couldn’t get started with the app so thankfully a leaf owner who pulled in at the same time started the charge for me. Family with me so we waited in the car as I was only topping up to 80% to get home and after 10 mins noticed it wasn’t charging. Took another 5 to get it going and only had less than 10 mins to get to a soccer match locally. They weren’t impressed!!
    We were to go to McDonalds in the Athlone plaza on the way home after the game but had to go to Kinnegad plaza again as I didn’t think I’d make it. Fun day in an EV again.

Ya, it's not worth it, I'll take it off your hands for you and you'll be rid of it :p

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sorry to hear it's not working out to well for you Charlie. I'm actually shocked at how badly the range is affected. 115km out of a what, 40kwh battery? That seems crazy.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Sorry to hear it's not working out to well for you Charlie. I'm actually shocked at how badly the range is affected. 115km out of a what, 40kwh battery? That seems crazy.

Yupp it’s a “36kWh” battery!

It’s not that it’s not working out, I’m just so disappointed with the drop in range. As I said, my oldest had a soccer match in Kinnegad which is 78kms from my house and it’s sad to say I probably couldn’t drive there and back in a brand new EV with my heat on without needing to charge. For my work commute and dropping kids to school it’s perfect, all within any range (110kms round trip now) but to go anywhere else, forget it.
    They actually wanted to go to Liffey Valley after the game yesterday and I had to make excuses not to - all I was worried about was where was I going to charge.
    It’s looking like we’re back to herselfs car for these trips and Jeasuz I hate driving it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

They actually wanted to go to Liffey Valley after the game yesterday and I had to make excuses not to - all I was worried about was where was I going to charge.

There are slow chargers at Tesco, usually there is at least one available. Could make a difference if you're going to stay in Liffey Valley for a few hours (shop, eat, cinema)
    which is 78kms from my house and it’s sad to say I probably couldn’t drive there and back in a brand new EV with my heat on

WLTP range of your eGolf is about 200km. Driving at motorway speeds in winter with heat on and you will get less than 3 quarters of that, so a 158 would not be a range you should attempt unless you take it handy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Very disappointing

Do you have the heat pump?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Mickeroo wrote: »

Even double that is pretty crap which the é-Golf successor ID3 for €40,000 probably won't manage with its 58kWh battery

Few posters who have taken delivery of €73,000 Telsa Model 3 with humongous 73kWh battery are talking about a 250km useable motorway range ( not going below 20% soc) and 300km total range.

That's crazy imo

All for EV, starting to think now 40-50km national road phev would suit me better

BMW 225xe catching my eye

225bhp, 4WD, 40-50km EV range on national roads, 1.5 frugal petrol engined and under €25,000 for 2019

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201910163382472?advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2019&postcode=m52ty&model=2%20SERIES%20ACTIVE%20TOURER&page=1&radius=1500&make=BMW&fuel-type=Hybrid%20%E2%80%93%20Petrol%2FElectric%20Plug-in&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used

• Advertisement

I drove at 105kph on the motorway yesterday, both directions.

No i don’t have a heat pump and I regret not getting it now

Today my 160kms only dropped to 150kms when I turned on the heat to 24 degrees. Traveled 110kms @ average 21.5kWh/100 kms and arrived home with 35kms left. 85kph on N roads (63k) and 105kph on motorway (32k total) Pure crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Apparently the heat pump adds up to 36 percent to winter range VW claim :(.

Why not make it standard then.

Old diesel wrote: »

Because they can charge 1k more for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

I drove at 105kph on the motorway yesterday, both directions.

No i don’t have a heat pump and I regret not getting it now

Today my 160kms only dropped to 150kms when I turned on the heat to 24 degrees. Traveled 110kms @ average 21.5kWh/100 kms and arrived home with 35kms left. 85kph on N roads (63k) and 105kph on motorway (32k total) Pure crap.

Did you expect better Charlie?

Do you think your were mislead by main dealer, posters here, reviewers etc

20kWh/100km is pretty decent in this weather, was below freezing this morning

Thats 150km max from your 32kWh useable battery, 300km from a 64kWh eNiro, 350km Tesla Model 3

No EV is doing much better than 20kWh/100km, eGolf is very efficient

I lied Unkels will do 13kWh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Old diesel wrote: »

VW loves an extra

The one I hate most is the heater mirror, it shows the image for it but you dont get it.....drives me nuts :p

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Did you expect better Charlie?

Do you think your were mislead by main dealer, posters here, reviewers etc

20kWh/100km is pretty decent in this weather, was below freezing this morning

Thats 150km max from your 32kWh useable battery, 300km from a 64kWh eNiro, 350km Tesla Model 3

No EV is doing much better than 20kWh/100km, eGolf is very efficient

I was expecting a bit better alright, I researched the eGolf (and other EV’s) for about 3 months before I decided to buy. I nearly bought a leaf actually but didn’t like the interior. Couldn’t find an ioniq to test drive and always liked the look of the golf and it was available to test drive, even if it took 3 attempts to get a decent spin.
    None of the 3 dealers I visited mentioned the drop in range but I knew from reading here and chatting with other EV owners that it drops, just not as much.
    Several eGolf owners claim 180kms winter and 250kms summer so that sold me on one as well. They must not use the heating at all!!!
    Temps are supposed to go to 11 degrees next week so will wait and see does it get any better, I was getting 210kms from it when I got it on 3rd October.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Mike9832 wrote: »

Not in this weather ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

What's the on the road price for an e-Golf in Ireland these days? Do you get anything for a non-VW trade in (an older banger of a car)?

embraer170 wrote: »
    What's the on the road price for an e-Golf in Ireland these days? Do you get anything for a non-VW trade in (an older banger of a car)?

€37k for an executive, I'll have to double check what a CL version is now.

• Advertisement

Ok, bit of a positive update - my car is like my better half - hates to cold and is much happier when its warmer!!

188kms range indicated this morning fully charged as it was 8 degress outside! Headed off on the school & work run and turned on the heat to 23 (after pre-heating before we left) and it dropped to 160kms. Drove my 55kms and got here with 105kms range left.

The difference a few degress makes is crazy.

Advertisement