Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW e-Golf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

my positive update is that having owned my egolf for a month this morning i found a cd player with double SD card reader in the glove box. very neat and now i'm going to have all the music i ever owned in my car all the time.

in terms of efficiency my 15km commute got 20kwh/100km yesterday morning (v cold -de-iced everthing) and 16.3kwh/100km this morning.
    thats with a heat pump, 22degrees auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Sorry to gate crash this eGolf thread with this question but it appears that other variants like ionic, Leaf, Kia, could be a better option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Do you have heated seats? They use a lot less energy than heating the whole car.

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Do you have heated seats? They use a lot less energy than heating the whole car.

i do, but i tend to use them in addition to the heater not instead of!

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Sorry to gate crash this eGolf thread with this question but it appears that other variants like ionic, Leaf, Kia, could be a better option?

kia is more expensive, the leaf i just don't like the look of and doesn't charge on ccs, the ioniq i was set to buy but then realised i couldn't get a bike rack on it.

i'm not mad into cars but i really like my egolf. in fairness, its the most expensive/newest thing i've ever bought and my first electric. i probably would have loved any of the others too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

my positive update is that having owned my egolf for a month this morning i found a cd player with double SD card reader in the glove box. very neat and now i'm going to have all the music i ever owned in my car all the time.

in terms of efficiency my 15km commute got 20kwh/100km yesterday morning (v cold -de-iced everthing) and 16.3kwh/100km this morning.
    thats with a heat pump, 22degrees auto.

One of those SD slots is for the sat nav i think. I read the CD player is also a DVD player when the car is stationary but i havent tried it.

My consumption on my commute to work yesterday was 23.0kWh/100kms and 20.1kWh on the way home, it was 21.2kWh this morning.

can i ask what range is your indicating fully charged?

Well done on getting one with a heat pump as well, definitely worth it in my eyes.

Don't let me put you off if you are thinking of buying one, apart from my woes with range at the weekend, they are a super EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

charlieIRL wrote: »
    One of those SD slots is for the sat nav i think. I read the CD player is also a DVD player when the car is stationary but i havent tried it.

My consumption on my commute to work yesterday was 23.0kWh/100kms and 20.1kWh on the way home, it was 21.2kWh this morning.

Well done on getting one with a heat pump as well, definitely worth it in my eyes.

Is the DVD thing only in US cars?

embraer170 wrote: »
    Is the DVD thing only in US cars?

could be, i read it in a facebook eGolf group.

€37k for an executive, I'll have to double check what a CL version is now.

That's still quite a lot. In Germany these days, you end up with an on the road price of about €26-27k for a reasonably well equipped eGolf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

eGolf is a better car than Ioniq or Leaf. It has a better quality, semi-premium feel to it and it's better driver's car

Up until recently it was ridiculously expensive, but with scrappage you can now get it for €29k which is very good value for money. The spec is poor though and a few must have upgrades like a heat pump are seriously overpriced.

No EV likes very cold weather and I guess an eGolf without a heat pump would like it even less than most other EVs that do have a heat pump

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

unkel wrote: »
    eGolf is a better car than Ioniq or Leaf. It has a better quality, semi-premium feel to it and it's better driver's car

Up until recently it was ridiculously expensive, but with scrappage you can now get it for €29k which is very good value for money. The spec is poor though and a few must have upgrades like a heat pump are seriously overpriced.

No EV likes very cold weather and I guess an eGolf without a heat pump would like it even less than most other EVs that do have a heat pump

Meant to make a note on that, the absolute bog basic would be 30k with scrappage. There’s a few musts like a Texhnology pack and winter pack, and maybe metallic which brings you up to around 31500 with scrappage.

could be, i read it in a facebook eGolf group.

It would be nice if someone with a European car could check.

just checked - yep, its a dvd player.

i really must get around to reading the manual...

i think last time i fully charged (i only got the charger put in last week and a normal communte week means i'll charge just once), it was showing 267km. but does that figure depend on the outside temperature and what my last efficiency figures were? again, i really must read the manual...

my commute home last night showed 12.0 kwh/100km. i've no idea why and not sure i even believe it. 14km, 22min, 40km/h avg speed.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

my commute home last night showed 12.0 kwh/100km. i've no idea why and not sure i even believe it. 14km, 22min, 40km/h avg speed.

Best way to be sure is look at what battery percentage you used. I would always trust battery percentage over the GOM or average consumption figures.

I'll see can i find a dvd later to try it out.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Best way to be sure is look at what battery percentage you used. I would always trust battery percentage over the GOM or average consumption figures.

thats sounds like good advice - i only have the analogue dial thing in the car though, is there precise digital data for battery consumption available somewhere?

honestly, i will get round to reading the manual, if i'm asking obvious questions just ignore me.

i think last time i fully charged (i only got the charger put in last week and a normal communte week means i'll charge just once), it was showing 267km. but does that figure depend on the outside temperature and what my last efficiency figures were? again, i really must read the manual...

267KMS? :eek:

I think i'm flying it the last 2 nights with extra range - 185kms on a full charge last night!!! Drove my 55kms commute this morning and have 124kms range left.

Plus I'm trying to drive it as sensibly and economically as I can.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

thats sounds like good advice - i only have the analogue dial thing in the car though, is there precise digital data for battery consumption available somewhere?

honestly, i will get round to reading the manual, if i'm asking obvious questions just ignore me.

You're grand, that's what these threads a for! Unfortunately I can't answer your question though as I don't have an e-golf. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a battery percentage reading somewhere in there though.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You're grand, that's what these threads a for! Unfortunately I can't answer your question though as I don't have an e-golf. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a battery percentage reading somewhere in there though.

there's not on the car which is ridiculous, on the app (when it works) there are 10 bars showing battery charge so presuming one bar is 10%, you can work it out from there. I'll screen grab it now and show you.

That's a really bad thing to leave out imo, so you're left guessing between the GOM and your average consumption unless you take out your phone.

there's not on the car which is ridiculous, on the app (when it works) there are 10 bars showing battery charge so presuming one bar is 10%, you can work it out from there. I'll screen grab it now and show you.

ah yes the bars, never thought of that. but its not that precise. and yeah, the app is glitchy at best - last week while taking my son swimming the app told me that the car was unlocked and moving. obviously i ran out to check. it wasn't.

ah yes the bars, never thought of that. but its not that precise. and yeah, the app is glitchy at best - last week while taking my son swimming the app told me that the car was unlocked and moving. obviously i ran out to check. it wasn't.

hahaha, get used to it, its very bad sometimes.

When it works it excellent for setting departure times etc. and i like to see my consumption figures.

267KMS? :eek:

I think i'm flying it the last 2 nights with extra range - 185kms on a full charge last night!!! Drove my 55kms commute this morning and have 124kms range left.

Plus I'm trying to drive it as sensibly and economically as I can.

yeah but i'm not getting a real life 267km. i was told i have an older GOM that is even more inaccurate.
    tbh its not a big deal. i've a charger at home, day to day i don't have to even look at the GOM. 185km sounds about right.

just checked - yep, its a dvd player.

Thanks,

yeah but i'm not getting a real life 267km. i was told i have an older GOM that is even more inaccurate.
    tbh its not a big deal. i've a charger at home, day to day i don't have to even look at the GOM. 185km sounds about right.

That's one great thing about my one - if it says 150kms range, you get 150kms range!

Indicated 191kms this morning, some difference a few degrees in temperature makes. Still dropped to 160km when i put the heat on (22 degrees & eco mode) but a lot better than Monday. Traveled 53kms today and 116kms left means i gained a few kms on the way. Am all happy again, roll on the summer!!!:D :D

That's one great thing about my one - if it says 150kms range, you get 150kms range!

Indicated 191kms this morning, some difference a few degrees in temperature makes. Still dropped to 160km when i put the heat on (22 degrees & eco mode) but a lot better than Monday. Traveled 53kms today and 116kms left means i gained a few kms on the way. Am all happy again, roll on the summer!!!:D :D

i'd like some kind of software fix to make my GOM like yours - i'm no IT guy but surely all the information is there, it just needs to be run in the right way?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Part of the problem here is that in the whole 28 to 32 usable capacity battery - so your Ioniq, Leaf 30 and these eGolfs - you have theoretical 100 to 120 mile range cars.

Buyers buy them on that basis but in reality they can be a bit tight.

The type of issue that Charlie found on his eGolf last weekend and on Monday - is similar to what ELM327 found on his Ioniq.

Different cars and driving routine but similar issues with finding winter range not as expected.

Looks to me that 100 miles year round range with full heat and drive as you please needs closer to 45 kwh usable capacity with a view to having 20 to 30 miles in reserve.

So you drive 100 miles and have 30 left over.

Am I being unfair to the 30 kwh class of car here?????.

The winter range issue is a definite hurdle to EV adoption though unless the way the cars are sold is improved.

By which i mean that if the manufacturer want to sell an EV based on 120 miles range or 200 miles range then it should be a trustworthy year round figure.

Customers who pay 30 grand and much more for EVs shouldn't find themselves getting unpleasant surprises miles from home on a cold wet Sunday.

• Advertisement

I'm getting 100 mile out of my Ioniq quite easily at the moment with heating on at 22c. That's driving N roads in mayo. I wouldn't be comfortable going beyond 160km without a charge stop though and if it was motorway driving at the speed limit it would be less again.

Advertisement