Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW e-Golf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

What tyres are people putting on their e-golfs and have they notice a big difference in efficiency/noise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

What’s the story on charging the eGolf, is there a best practice situation where you only charge to 80% to protect the battery a la Tesla.

My elderly Dad has one and I don’t feel like sifting through the manual so thought I ask here, currently he’s plugging in and charging to 100% a few times a week. Also is there an app to connect to the car to see charging rates etc.

Sorry for the basic questions...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think eGolf has a buffer so you should be fine charging to 100% each time. I've never heard of battery degradation being much of an issue in an eGolf so I wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The only thing I’ve been told is they recommend 1 fast charge to ever 4 normal charges, but that’s purely from a degradation point of view.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I’ve been charging mine to 100% every time I charge it unless I use a fast charger, then I stop at 80%

WeConnect is the app for connecting to the eGolf. Shocking bad app though, very unreliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

L-M wrote: »
    The only thing I’ve been told is they recommend 1 fast charge to ever 4 normal charges, but that’s purely from a degradation point of view.

That's a load of nonsense, don't listen again to whoever told you that :p

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

unkel wrote: »
    That's a load of nonsense, don't listen again to whoever told you that :p

It's probably in the manual. Ioniq has something about draining the battery once a month that I'm pretty sure everyone igores too (I know I do :pac:), can't remember if it specifies rapid charging every now and then too or not.

My GOM range went from 160kms average to showing 210kms over the weekend. (Back to 168 today though).

As it was so mild out i was only using eco+ and heater on 1 to clear the windows, made a massive difference to range. Can't wait for milder weather.

Same in Ioniq. On a very cold day with aircon / heater on, my range is displayed at about 196km. Switch the heating off and it goes to 207km. As soon as the temps go over 10C, I'm back at about 220km. A few more degrees and I'm back to the most typical range I see (over the 7 or so months of summer) which is 237km

• Registered Users Posts: 28,072 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I just specced up a eGolf there this morning with technology upgrade, heat pump and winter pack and it's coming in at €30,500 or there about. That seems like very decent value compared to some other options available.

Edit: that was the standard one not the executive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭Soarer

Think you might be able to get scrappage and/or 0% finance on that too.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I just specced up a eGolf there this morning with technology upgrade, heat pump and winter pack and it's coming in at €30,500 or there about. That seems like very decent value compared to some other options available.

Sounds like a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭quokula

How long will it take for the price drop to trickle down into the used market? I'm still seeing a lot of 2019 cars advertised at a higher price than a new one now costs on the road.

Soarer wrote: »

I've a 2014 1.2TSI golf that I bought from the local VW dealer. Dad bought a R line Tiguan off them last year as well so I'd hope they'd be decent with their trade in offer!!

Very tempting even though I was going to hold off changing until next January.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Sounds like a great deal.

Stop tempting me :pac:

Stop tempting me :pac:

You won't regret it :pac: Herself has a car too doesn't she? So you'd be sorted for longer trips if you were worried about range.

If the e-golf was going for that kind of money this time last year I'd probably have gotten one over the Ioniq.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Soarer wrote: »

What kind of scrappage might one expect?

embraer170 wrote: »
    What kind of scrappage might one expect?

They're supposed to be offering up to 5 grand.

You won't regret it :pac: Herself has a car too doesn't she? So you'd be sorted for longer trips if you were worried about range.

If the e-golf was going for that kind of money this time last year I'd probably have gotten one over the Ioniq.

She is thinking of buying a Karoq next year so long journeys would be fine.

My commute is about 3 kms (I really should walk but I'm lazy) and I go home at lunchtime so drive no more than 20-30kms most days. Bit further on weekends. Have a walled driveway so getting a home charger is no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

I've a 2014 1.2TSI golf that I bought from the local VW dealer. Dad bought a R line Tiguan off them last year as well so I'd hope they'd be decent with their trade in offer!!

Very tempting even though I was going to hold off changing until next January.

How much do they offer you for yours? You should be able to get at least €10-12k

• Advertisement

+1

If you don't need the range and the charging speed of Ioniq and the limited interior space of the eGolf is adequate (it's a 4 people only car really, unless the people are very small), then the eGolf is by far the better car (and far better again than the Leaf). When I bought Ioniq, the eGolf was €12-13k more expensive even for the base model!

Now the eGolf is about the same price as the outgoing 28kWh Ioniq was at the end of last year. A bargain imho...

peposhi wrote: »
    How much do they offer you for yours? You should be able to get at least €10-12k

If I was getting PCP then I could only get around €9500 of a trade against the eGolf. Any extra would be given as a cheque.

She is thinking of buying a Karoq next year so long journeys would be fine.

My commute is about 3 kms (I really should walk but I'm lazy) and I go home at lunchtime so drive no more than 20-30kms most days. Bit further on weekends. Have a walled driveway so getting a home charger is no problem.

What's the OH's commute like? Be prepared to fight over the e-golf if you decide to take the plunge :p

What's the OH's commute like? Be prepared to fight over the e-golf if you decide to take the plunge :p

About 6km :pac: if I buy it she won't be driving it...:pac:

About 6km :pac: if I buy it she won't be driving it...:pac:

Yeah that's what we all thought when we bought an EV (that our other half did not even want in the first place) :pac:

Ah jaysus bikes ye should be buying :D

You won't save too much on petrol with your low mileage but there's other reasons to get an EV too! I'd say you would only need to charge it once a week, certainly in summer at least.

unkel wrote: »
    Yeah that's what we all thought when we bought an EV (that our other half did not even want in the first place) :pac:

She doesn't like automatics bit I'd say she'd get used to it very quickly.

Ah jaysus bikes ye should be buying :D

You won't save too much on petrol with your low mileage but there's other reasons to get an EV too! I'd say you would only need to charge it once a week, certainly in summer at least.

I do a bit of driving on the weekends and once I'm back training I'd have a 50km round trip two/three nights a week. Be another few months before that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

What is the e-Golf charge curve like vs the Ioniq? Would you do 20% to 80% in 30 mins?

• Advertisement

Orebro wrote: »
    What is the e-Golf charge curve like vs the Ioniq? Would you do 20% to 80% in 30 mins?

on a FCP? Definitely. I went from 3% to 80% in less than 40 minutes recently. (Edit - went from 3% to full in 49mins, just checked Ionity App)

As far as i know, VW are no longer taking orders for new eGolfs as they have used all the available Mk7 shells they had left. The plan all along was to keep producing them until the shells ran out. I know you can't order a new on in the UK now.

I love mine, even if the short range frustrates the hell out of me at times, but other than that, its a super car and well put together.

Advertisement