Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW e-Golf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

Yep, what Charlie says- this is the first car I’ve ever really loved. Sometimes I just drive out of my way, gliding along listening to brian eno, you feel like you’re in the future.
    The range is not a problem for me, I drove it back from Milton Keynes no hassle and trips to Waterford are easy with ionity in Gorey.
    In fairness I’ve not really taken it anywhere else so maybe would be an issue if I wanted to do Sligo/mayo?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I’ve not really taken it anywhere else so maybe would be an issue if I wanted to do Sligo/mayo?

A lot less of an issue than it was over most of 2018 and 2019. The ESB fast chargers (outside of the Dublin area) are mostly deserted now that people have to pay for them. Which means there's a good chance you won't have to wait (long) if you need one on a longer trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

unkel wrote: »
    A lot less of an issue than it was over most of 2018 and 2019. The ESB fast chargers (outside of the Dublin area) are mostly deserted now that people have to pay for them. Which means there's a good chance you won't have to wait (long) if you need one on a longer trip

Ahh the freeloaders are gone, finally a decent network :-)

Make something free and you will attract free loaders. It was fine to encourage the 50 or so innovators idiots :p in the country who bought a €35k Leaf / iMIEV that could only do 80km on the motorway so they needed a place to recharge for free to relieve some of their pain

Should have been charging for charging from sometime early to mid 2017. Not late 2019. I had to encourage people NOT to buy an EV because the brutal public charging system in Ireland. A state monopoly, yeah we all know that works well for the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

If the car was 250km winter range it would have been the perfect car. Sometimes I contemplate changing to the aero wheels to add some range but I know it isn’t enough.

Over a year in and it’s a brilliant car ! One or two chips though il have to look into somewhere that can fix that up. Also has anybody changed the tyres and found any improvement ?

• Advertisement

Mupchease wrote: »
    If the car was 250km winter range it would have been the perfect car. Sometimes I contemplate changing to the aero wheels to add some range but I know it isn’t enough.

Over a year in and it’s a brilliant car ! One or two chips though il have to look into somewhere that can fix that up. Also has anybody changed the tyres and found any improvement ?

i would be interested to get tyre recommendations also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

True. I was in Roscrea recently, mild day so no need for heat and GOM was showing 220kms range. I got there having only used about 30% battery. I had an hour to fill before our soccer match so headed off for a drive and then popped into filling station and FCP Charged for 15mins while having a coffee and off again. Was able to take a more scenic route home and heat on to warm up the frozen kids!!

It’s brilliant to have charge points readily available, fast or not, and not have any long delays.

i have one trip, dublin - skreen co. mayo. still not done it yet and just not sure how nice it would be. in my old ICE i'd go N4/N59 the whole way.
    If i do that route now i can stop in kinnegad plaza (very soon after starting out and its easygo which ive never used) and/or Longford Esso. If i don't stop in Longford zap map says i arrive with 10% battery - too close a call for this kid with wife and child in tow. if i find i get to longford and the fast charger is broke i'd be very unhappy/panicky.

alternatively i could go via Athlone and stop at ionity. zap map says i can then get there with 20%.

still not great and once you get out that way the chances of driving wind and rain are very high, making me more nervous.

basically we need more fast chargers. carrick on shannon would be handy and i see esb have a chademo/type2 charger there. same type of charger in Ballialack too - any hope they'd add CCS soon?

i have one trip, dublin - skreen co. mayo. still not done it yet and just not sure how nice it would be. in my old ICE i'd go N4/N59 the whole way.
    If i do that route now i can stop in kinnegad plaza (very soon after starting out and its easygo which ive never used) and/or Longford Esso. If i don't stop in Longford zap map says i arrive with 10% battery - too close a call for this kid with wife and child in tow. if i find i get to longford and the fast charger is broke i'd be very unhappy/panicky.

alternatively i could go via Athlone and stop at ionity. zap map says i can then get there with 20%.

still not great and once you get out that way the chances of driving wind and rain are very high, making me more nervous.

basically we need more fast chargers. carrick on shannon would be handy and i see esb have a chademo/type2 charger there. same type of charger in Ballialack too - any hope they'd add CCS soon?

You can stop at Ionity in Athlone and charge to 100% and get there with about 30% battery. I done a quick check on a better route planner and put dublin city centre in as starting point and heading to Colloney in Sligo.

EasyGo in Kinnegad is still free to use but the second charger (on the right) has had some issues recently. All you need is the appl to start the charge.

Just remember if you are using ionity to sign up for manigau or one of the cheaper options to use it.

I can't wait for some extra points to be put in near the north-west - if they ever happen. We spend a lot of time in Strandhill / Enniscrone and for these trips I can't use the eGolf.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

North west is the most poorly served area in the country probably. Ridiculous there isn't a rapid charger in or around Sligo town yet (nearest is 10km north in Grange).

• Advertisement

And the one in Grange is new. Before that the only fast charger in the north west was in Laghy (Donegal). And that one was out of action most of the time :eek:

The distance between there and the nearest fast charger (in Dublin) was 170km :eek: :eek:

Mickeroo wrote: »
    North west is the most poorly served area in the country probably. Ridiculous there isn't a rapid charger in or around Sligo town yet (nearest is 10km north in Grange).

Thanks for letting me know about the one in Grange, have a trip planned to Streedagh Beach!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

i would be interested to get tyre recommendations also.

Just one thing to note. The Electric car tyres are a specific low rolling resistance tyre. Make sure to put on the correct tyres or the could impact the range by up to 30/40 percent

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

L-M wrote: »
    Just one thing to note. The Electric car tyres are a specific low rolling resistance tyre. Make sure to put on the correct tyres or the could impact the range by up to 30/40 percent

Surely the effect isn't that profound? I would have thought any A rated high efficiency tyre would be fine.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Surely the effect isn't that profound? I would have thought any A rated high efficiency tyre would be fine.

I work for Vw and it was one of the main things that was pointed out on a course we were on.

You shouldn't believe everything they tell you. 40% less range because of less efficient tyres is absurd.

You shouldn't believe everything they tell you. 40% less range because of less efficient tyres is absurd.

Maybe the said 30-40 less kms. It’s not good for them in any case.

Not true

I had different tires on last one over its life and no drop off on performance at all....once you buy energy efficient
    Maybe the said 30-40 less kms. It’s not good for them in any case.

Unless you put on s**t tires!!!!

I work for Vw and it was one of the main things that was pointed out on a course we were on.

Based on a driver of eGolf since 2017 I think you need to feedback to VW they are talking s**t

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Based on a driver of eGolf since 2017 I think you need to feedback to VW they are talking s**t

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1114986_changing-tires-for-chevy-bolt-ev-electric-car-your-range-grip-noise-may-vary

I’ve read it a few places before. That guy is saying it affected the range by 10 percent.

Anyway, they should be low rolling resistance. The rest of what I said could be absolute fodder.

• Advertisement

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1114986_changing-tires-for-chevy-bolt-ev-electric-car-your-range-grip-noise-may-vary

I’ve read it a few places before. That guy is saying it affected the range by 10 percent.

Anyway, they should be low rolling resistance. The rest of what I said could be absolute fodder.

Buy sh*t tires on any car it affects performance, people don’t realise as they don’t see the affect on fuel, same as leaving air con on non stop

Electric isn’t different, buy high quality, fuel efficient tires and your sorted ....If you buy a cheap ass non efficient tyre then yes it could maybe have a huge drop off but I still don’t see it

Anyway rule is stick on decent tyre, electric or not

Leaving air con on non stop has negligible impact on ICE mpg .... I know having heating etc on can be a luxury in a long EV spin when there are range concerns.

Augeo wrote: »
    Leaving air con on non stop has negligible impact on ICE mpg .... I know having heating etc on can be a luxury in a long EV spin when there are range concerns.

Fuel is fuel. Doesn't matter if electric/diesel/petrol

Aircon has an affect on all cars. In reality if you have a long range electric car you can say it is negligible as well. But a short range then you notice

In my eGolf I keep it on all the time as I don't need the range but don't kid yourself thinking your not burning fuel away with combustion engine. The power to run it has to come from somewhere

Aircon for cooling has a very material impact on ICE MPG. Not for heating as you just use the heat that is produced for free as a by product (or should I say main product?) of by the very inefficient ICE.

..... don't kid yourself thinking your not burning fuel away with combustion engine. The power to run it has to come from somewhere

I'm not kidding myself, the impact is negligible.
    In winter it's used for heating as Unkel details so it's essentially free, in Summer it's a few % at most so averaged out over a year it's negligible.
    Some EV folk have to think about can they turn the heating or cooling on depending on the range left.
    Aircon for cooling has a very material impact on ICE MPG. Not for heating as you just use the heat that is produced for free as a by product (or should I say main product?) of by the very inefficient ICE.

€3,300 to go 20,000 miles in my very inefficient AWD ICE, some business miles/trips results in that being very, very, very efficient to me :)
    In summer the aircon for cooling doesn't have a very material effect on my mpg, do you want to attempt to quantify it for me?

I'm not kidding myself, the impact is negligible.
    In winter it's used for heating as Unkel details so it's essentially free, in Summer it's a few % at most so averaged out over a year it's negligible.
    Some EV folk have to think about can they turn the heating or cooling on depending on the range left.

Turn on your engine, leave it just turning over and then turn on your heating....see the impact :P

Some EV folk but very very few

€3,300 to go 20,000 miles in my very inefficient AWD ICE, some business miles/trips results in that being very, very, very efficient to me :)
    In summer the aircon for cooling doesn't have a very material effect on my mpg, do you want to attempt to quantify it for me?

Nobody has to quantify anything.....if your happy in the knowledge that air con just runs on nothing then off you go......thats your choice

............if your happy in the knowledge that air con just runs on nothing then off you go......thats your choice

Do you understand what negligible means?
    Perhaps you don't.
    Turn on your engine, leave it just turning over and then turn on your heating....see the impact :P........

Heating is off the matrix, once the inner loop is hot the stat opens and hot water fills the matrix with warm/hot liquid.
    Doing what you describe, there will be no impact.

Tell us what you think the impact is?
    Oh yes, you are in a very limited range EV, big impact for you, none for ICE folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,072 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Do you understand what negligible means?
    Perhaps you don't.

Heating is ran off the matrix, once the inner loop is hot the stat opens and hot water fills the matrix.
    Doing what you describe, there will be no impact.

Tell us what you think the impact is?

negligible
    /ˈnɛɡlɪdʒɪb(ə)l/

adjective

so small or unimportant as to be not worth considering; insignificant.

Air con can lead to between 8-10% decrease in fuel efficiency. Its about 10% in my petrol Golf.

10% isn't negligible.

Nobody has to quantify anything............

You seem to think zero = negligible.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    negligible
    /ˈnɛɡlɪdʒɪb(ə)l/

adjective

so small or unimportant as to be not worth considering; insignificant.

Air con can lead to between 8-10% decrease in fuel efficiency. Its about 10% in my petrol Golf.

10% isn't negligible.

It's nowhere near 10% in my diesel Sorento. Also I said averaged over the year, you don't have your system set to cool for 52 weeks of the year in Ireland. Over the year it's a few % at most, negligible.

If you spent €5000 / annum on petrol and you reckon €150 isn't negligible you are a very unusual person.

Advertisement