Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW e-Golf

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Augeo wrote: »
    You seem to think zero = negligible.

Your on a eGolf thread talking about a combustion engine car???

You not have better things to do?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Your on a eGolf thread talking about a combustion engine car???

You not have better things to do?

lol, well
    Turn on your engine, leave it just turning over and then turn on your heating....see the impact :P

I suppose you had to come out with the please leave my sandpit thing :P

It was yourself brought ICE into the chat I think .........
    Buy sh*t tires on any car it affects performance, people don’t realise as they don’t see the affect on fuel, same as leaving air con on non stop

• Registered Users Posts: 65,352 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Aircon to cool the car to 17C/18C on a hot summers day even in Ireland will take at the very least 10% more fuel in a typical ICE car. I fail to see how you can even start to think it would be negligible.

It's nowhere near 10% in my diesel Sorento. Also I said averaged over the year, you don't have your system set to cool for 52 weeks of the year in Ireland. Over the year it's a few % at most, negligible.

If you spent €5000 / annum on petrol and you reckon €150 isn't negligible you are a very unusual person.

It's electric car forum, plenty of other forum to talk about your diesel Sorento

unkel wrote: »
    Aircon to cool the car to 17C/18C on a hot summers day even in Ireland will take at the very least 10% more fuel in a typical ICE car. I fail to see how you can even start to think it would be negligible.

You don't want to see really I imagine.
    ........ I said averaged over the year........

Does having the heating or air con activated on your Ionig take 10%+ off the range?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

On the motorway I see very little effect on l per 100km with the aircon or the heating on (mk7 golf). The car says its about 0.1 to 0.2 l per 100 km which works out somewhere between 1.7% and 3.4%. If I was mostly driving within the city (stop go) your overall kilometer-age would be much lower and thus the proportional energy used to cool vs propel you would be higher..

The point i'm trying to make is it depends on your speed (or distance by time) as to whether you see a "significant" impact. Only true way (as someone pointed out) is to remove the distance by time aspect of the equation thus turn on the engine and just sit in it and check your litres used per hour before and after you turn on the aircon (be sure to allow the car to be fully warmed up before starting to calculate though)...or you can do some research and come up with the figures below.

An ICE car with a 50l petrol tank has about 350 kWh of energy in the tank.
    The e-golf has 55.7 kWh in the "tank".

An Air conditioning unit in a (normal) car has a peak of about 3kWh energy usage thus if it was run for 1 hour it would use 5.3% of the battery while in the ICE car it uses 0.8% of the total available. Now obviously the ICE is much more inefficient thus uses more to convert the petrol to power (It uses the belt not electricity apparently) but since you have so much energy available to start with you see less of an impact.

I guess most of you know this already but I think it might be important to to write down for clarity's sake. The above is probably missing lots of things but it gives a general idea why in a petrol car it may seem that it is using much less than it is. Whether this is a problem to you in an ICE car is probably no but in an electric where there is so much less energy available it becomes more of one.

* I finally get to use what "engineering explained" taught me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭PaulRyan97

BKtje wrote: »

An ICE car with a 50l petrol tank has about 350 kWh of energy in the tank.
    The e-golf has 55.7 kWh in the "tank".

At about 8.9kWh/L it's actually about 445kWh equivalent. At ~750g per litre that amount of available energy only weighs 37.5kg.

The 75kWh battery pack in the long range Model 3 weighs 480kg, a 445kWh pack at the same density would weigh ~2850kg, or the weight of two Golfs.

Increasing the energy density of batteries is the holy grail at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭DermoMIO

Picked up my executive edition today, been waiting since November for it. Had a few teething problems but overall in awe of the thing & looking forward to figuring it out more over the weekend :D

DermoMIO wrote: »
    Picked up my executive edition today, been waiting since November for it. Had a few teething problems but overall in awe of the thing & looking forward to figuring it out more over the weekend :D

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭Soarer

Did you get the latest price reduction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭DermoMIO

Soarer wrote: »
    Did you get the latest price reduction?

Yes made sure I was getting it before the car was delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭Soarer

Yes made sure I was getting it before the car was delivered

Fair play, well wear.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Best of luck with the car, throw up a few pics when you get the chance :)

Well wear, great car!

So how much was the executive edition on the road? Still pricey enough I think? What does the executive get over the standard eGolf?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

It’s just under 33k now and has it all really. Leather, keyless, NAV, camera and sensors, digital dash.

There aren’t any options to tick bar the heat pump maybe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

L-M wrote: »
    It’s just under 33k now and has it all really. Leather, keyless, NAV, camera and sensors, digital dash.

There aren’t any options to tick bar the heat pump maybe.

Is lane assist an option here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭User1998

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Is lane assist an option here?

Pretty sure its standard even on the base model, I find it awful tho

User1998 wrote: »

No, not on Golf 7.5.

I don’t have it on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭User1998

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I don’t have it on mine.

Apologies I thought it was, its on the same menu as Blind spot monitor, rear traffic alert, front assist etc.. Do you get those as standard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭toushea

Apologies I thought it was, its on the same menu as Blind spot monitor, rear traffic alert, front assist etc.. Do you get those as standard?

Front Assist is standard now, none of the other options are explcitly mentioned anywhere in the brochure nor did i even think to look for them on my test drive.If you order an executive edition now the only options really available are heat pump, heated windshield & upgraded navigation.

On an unrelated note just placed my order today and looking forward to getting my car.

Nope unfortunately not, only front assist. I was under the impression they were standard.

toushea wrote: »
    Front Assist is standard now, none of the other options are explcitly mentioned anywhere in the brochure nor did i even think to look for them on my test drive.If you order an executive edition now the only options really available are heat pump, heated windshield & upgraded navigation.

On an unrelated note just placed my order today and looking forward to getting my car.

Heated windshield is on the executive edition.

Hope you ordered one with a heat pump!!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

well, the heat pump....

i posted this on the egolf owners fb forum too but since you bring it up...

I have one, and went out of my way to buy a golf (2nd hand) that had it. And I’m glad of it. But really, rationally, the maths doesn’t add up if you’re buying new. Let’s say it increases range by 20% - that currently translates as an extra 40km (200km on full charge). Let’s say I use 15kwh per 100km. That means 6kwh for 40km. 6kwh costs me 48cents on night rate electricity. If a heat pump costs 900euro then in order to get a return on that I will have to fully charge the car 900/0.48c=1875 times. That’s 375,000km (1875x200km) or in my case about 30years to break even. Unless I missed a decimal point or something. So unless you travel regularly in the 140-185km range it’s not worth it. Travel less, you don’t need it, travel more, you’ll be stopping to charge anyway.

but yeah, i'm still glad i have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...A state monopoly, yeah we all know that works well
    for the people.

...tbf, there's no-one stopping anyone else from building their own network.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...tbf, there's no-one stopping anyone else from building their own network.....

Indeed. Tesla is building a worldwide supercharger network, installing chargers up to 250kW. Ionity is building a Europe wide super fast charging network with all their chargers up to 350kW. Even some smaller companies like Easygo are installing fast chargers. All at zero cost to the tax payer.

And then we have state sponsored ESB, a semi-state company known for its very high salaries and exorbitant pensions. Courtesy of the tax payer. Their fastest charger is 50kW...

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Just wondering where people would see the depreciation going on an exec edition over 2/4/6 years at say 20k km/year? Obviously it’s the last edition before new-tech id.3, range and charge rates are mediocre compared to upcoming cars. Saw someone mention 9k for a 2014 Leaf nowadays, could a 33k egolf end up similarly priced after 6 years?

Thoughts?

Well for a start, about half of what the executive costs over the standard model will be written off as soon as you drive off the forecourt. And imho 33k is a lot to pay for a small range EV when its successor will be available in a few months and a comparable spec car (with easily 50% more range) will be about that same price or even less within a year from now. So yes, you will likely lose at least 10k in the first year. After that depreciation should slow down of course and for many years to come EV demand will be bigger than EV supply, keeping all prices high enough

Well for a start, about half of what the executive costs over the standard model will be written off as soon as you drive off the forecourt. And imho 33k is a lot to pay for a small range EV when its successor will be available in a few months and a comparable spec car (with easily 50% more range) will be about that same price or even less within a year from now. So yes, you will likely lose at least 10k in the first year. After that depreciation should slow down of course and for many years to come EV demand will be bigger than EV supply, keeping all prices high enough

To be fair that logic can be applied to any new car really. 10k is definitely steep estimate, even trying to bring in a 2018 at the minute is costing early 20s.

It shouldn’t depreciate any more or less than an ICE car.

• Advertisement

To be honest it is a huge amount of car for the money.....if I had to hold on 6 months I would of liked my bargain :-)

Advertisement