Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW e-Golf

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Yeah, this is the one thing about the car that I don't like... that damn USB port!!!! :D

First World problems

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    First World problems

Absolutely!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

My range is up to 250kms recently, it loves this fine weather!!

Only problem is lack of driving, it only gets a 10kms spin every 3 - 4 days recently as I'm working from home (5k to closest shop)

Was in the office one day last week and one the week before which is a 110kms round trip but its been mainly sitting since. :(

charlieIRL wrote: »
    My range is up to 250kms recently, it loves this fine weather!!

Only problem is lack of driving, it only gets a 10kms spin every 3 - 4 days recently as I'm working from home (5k to closest shop)

Was in the office one day last week and one the week before which is a 110kms round trip but its been mainly sitting since. :(

Yeah the eGolf loves the warm weather, I have always said it. Its amazing how much the range increases come March/April and the better weather.....

In regards to low mileage, put the battery at a max of 80% charge. Dont fill it and leave sitting up for a long time....

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    In regards to low mileage, put the battery at a max of 80% charge. Dont fill it and leave sitting up for a long time....

Yupp that's what I have the charger set to, mad seeing 20-30kms more range at 80% now than at 100% a few weeks ago!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I'm a VW man, there's always been a VW of some sort at my home.

We have Kia Sportage which is a 151 and very low mileage, i have a 132 Passat estate with high mileage and its starting to give a few problems. Up until now i've needed a large car but uses are changing.

My daily commute to work is a round trip of 40km. I love the idea of an electric VW and especially a car that looks just like the normal version.

The price has seemed to improve and it has me looking.

So what are the main positives and negatives.

Its a Golf without an engine! Same excellent build quality and interior.

I love mine (again now) though I have to admit I was disappointed with range over the winter but have gotten over that now. I used to do a minimum 110kms a day when i had to travel to the office then add in trips to soccer, shops etc and i was running out of range mid winter but with work/home charging I got by. I didn't think I'd have to drive to work (55kms) and charge to get home and do my evenings driving. I came from an A4 Avant and was worried about size, no problem at all. Then again, I've played very little golf with the lockdown and winter.

Only negatives are:
    Range as mentioned above, winter 160kms and Summer >250kms in an Executive Edition
    Price: They ain't cheap

We have Kia Sportage which is a 151 and very low mileage, i have a 132 Passat estate with high mileage and its starting to give a few problems. Up until now i've needed a large car but uses are changing.

My daily commute to work is a round trip of 40km. I love the idea of an electric VW and especially a car that looks just like the normal version.

People might say range but I am in the V2 model and I had the V1 model for years so range is no issue for me

Personally I love the car. It is a far nicer drive to the couple of petrol/diesel Golf's I had previous. They are high spec. Nobody knows you drive an electric car so you dont get all those questions about them.

The running costs are tiny, they comsumption is better to most of the competition. SOme people said the price was an issue but your eyes would water with the price my one was bought at compared to what you can get it now.

Its incredible value.

My only issue, I would love a Tiguan version of it :p Im just getting old and I like the bit of height, now my wife is different and she loves the eGolf and robs it all the time so I take the Outlander.

If you like VW, you have to bring it for a test drive and see what you think,

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Eoin Kavanagh 64

I had my heart set on an ID3, but I couldn't wait for a Sept/Oct so in Feb I went on the hunt for a new e-Golf to tide me over.

I finally found the Executive Edition in the exterior and interior colour combinations I wanted and drove it out of the show room on the 3rd March.

Having never sat in one I was immediately impressed with the fit, finish and equipment.
    Initially the home charging from the 13 amp plug was slow, but never really a problem as it was done overnight. Now I have a (slightly future proof) 3Ph 22kW charger in work which cuts this down to 4.5 hours for a 0-100% charge at the car's max rating of 7.2kW.

I do mainly city commuting with the odd 120km drive to Grandparents. So the 200km range is not an issue for me, but is of concern should I wish to plan a trip further afield.

Looking back at it now, for €33k new ... it's s steal and given it's a Company car ... it's essentially free motoring for me with no BIK.

I'd be a little p'd off if I'd bought one before the €5k drop in February and really p'd off if I'd bought one a year earlier. I think it's €10k less now than this time in 2019.

Apart from the 200km range which will/is starting to seem limiting when compared to newer EV's being released, it's one hell of a car for the asking price.

I love it :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

For the commute that you're talking about, it's a no brainer. As others have replied, the build quality is superb and it looks just like the regular Golf. Go take one for a test drive and I guarantee you walk out of that showroom with a deposit put down on one. It really is a fun car to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The Executive model really is a must but they’re bringing out 0 percent PCP in the Comfortline also now which makes them a seriously affordable electric car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭Soarer

You’d be paying a lot of money to cover a 40km round trip.

An early edition Leaf would do you grand.
    Save your money until something bigger/better comes along.

I’m not comparing a Leaf to a Golf. Just the money side of things.

Sure you could save loads of money and buy a Fiesta for 500 euro.

I don’t think that’s the point

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If you really want a VW EV and are doing 40km round trips then you could look at bringing in a 2014 e-Up! from the UK. They are priced around £11,500 and are well able to cover that distance.
    They are a surprisingly spacious car and feel pretty good on the road.

I'd do that (and have) to hold me over till a more permanent EV choice is available

Apart from the 200km range which will/is starting to seem limiting when compared to newer EV's being released, it's one hell of a car for the asking price.

I'm getting much more thank 200kms now with the warmer weather and my commute is (was) 80kph road and motorway.

Charged it to 70% last night (first time in nearly 10 days) and its reading 170kms!!

Quick one on the cables supplied, it comes with a "Granny Charger" and a 16a cable. If you use a 32a it charges in just over 3 hours from nearly empty on a 7kw home charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Eoin Kavanagh 64

charlieIRL wrote: »
    ... Quick one on the cables supplied, it comes with a "Granny Charger" and a 16a cable. If you use a 32a it charges in just over 3 hours from nearly empty on a 7kw home charger.

I was not aware of the 16A / 32A difference in cables. Upon further reading it also appears you can get 16A & 32A cables in both single and three phase versions.

What difference this would make in real terms I'd need to get advice on, given the car's internal charger can only handle 7.2kW and it doesn't say if has single or three phase compatibility.

More research is needed :o

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If I was supplied with a 16A single phase cable, and had to buy my own, I'd buy a 32A 3 Phase cable, the purchase price is not that different and you can use the new cable with a future car.

Alot of the newer cars come with 11kW capable chargers, they are able to operate in 32A single phase or 16A triple phase. In order to cover yourself, you'd need the 32A triple phase cable to cover each of the modes.
    The only downside is that the cable is a little bulkier.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,348 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If I had bought a brand new 11kW charging car for the guts of EUR40k and it came with just a single phase cable, I would not stop until the dealer had replaced that cable with a 3 phase cable. Free of charge. If they refused, I'd take them to the small claims court if I had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

Fantastic car, my biggest issue with it is the paint it somehow scratches easier than any car I’ve ever owed. I do be terrified a bird would even think of flying over it. I’ve never had a cars paint chip either but it’s managed to. Need to get that sorted if anybody knows a place I can contact after the lockdown ?

100% recommend the car though you will love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I'm leaning towards a 202 at the moment.

All depends on the next few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭User1998

When exactly did the e golf get the upgraded battery capacity? Late 2017 ?

I'm leaning towards a 202 at the moment.

All depends on the next few months.

I don't think they are making them anymore so you're looking at buying one from a showroom.

User1998 wrote: »

Best to go with a 2018 AFAIK, just in case.

User1998 wrote: »

Exactly is difficult to answer

In UK you had some late 2017 with new battery

In Ireland it was 2018, but even in 2019 some dealers had demo 26kWh for sale

Any changes happen in week 22 or week 48.

I would imagine it was brought in with the more realistic range calculator which was week 22 18.

The only way of knowing what build year a car was built in is there's a stamp on the bottom of each of the window glass which details of the window manufacturer and a "...7" or "...8" indicating the year the glass was made which generally always ties in with the same year as the car.

I wouldn't be surprised if some Comfortline 2020 models were 2018 build cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭User1998

Thanks for the replies, I’m considering buying one to replace my Golf GTE but its proving impossible to find one with the biggest battery, heated leather, and white paint. Theres only 50 for sale in the UK and very few if any meet the requirements

Nearly sure I’ve a new White Exeuctive in stock with Black leather if that was of any interest

Edit Sorry, I don’t. It’s a Comfortline with Heated Seats

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

It it's any help we test drove a white Executive version in early March at Lahart's in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I collected mine today; I went for the exec model in indium grey. A bit of a change coming from a 2.7D saloon, but that just did not suit the vast majority of my driving.

Initial impressions are very positive - my main quibble with VW has been that they can be pretty poorly specced and look a bit spartan, but I'm very happy with the spec level. Looking forward to driving it a lot more, but so far so good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,348 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Eoin wrote: »
    I collected mine today

You dark horse. I haven't noticed you posting in the EV forum at all which is par for the course for most motors forum regulars and in particular former forum moderators like yourself :p

Well wear man. The eGolf is an excellent EV. Enjoy!

Advertisement