Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW e-Golf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

C@t wrote: »
    I actually did get two cables in the boot, I haven’t used the 3-pin yet, it’s the other “Mode 3” cable that’s 20A. I knew the 3-pin would be slow, I just wasn’t expecting the other one to be nearly as slow!

Yep, same as that, 2 cables, 3 pin and 20amp...

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭C@t

Yep, same as that, 2 cables, 3 pin and 20amp...

Did you query it with your dealer/VW?
    In the UK it looks like they get the 32A cable as standard, I wonder if they’re just offloading the 20A ones on us! Seems like a silly move though, why give us a 7.2kW onboard charger but limit it’s usefulness by the supplied cable..? They aren’t even trying to sell the 32A as an upgrade..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

You can opt to buy a 3 phase 32A cable which may somewhat future proof yourself when you change to your next EV at about €200, but real world difference between what you have now and a 32A cable may reduce the 5 hours down to 4.2 hours.

The 32a cable makes a huge difference when charging mine on my home / work charger - it nearly halves the time to charge compared to the 20a. VW said the 20a is all they supply with the car and won't give you a 32a one.

BTW - only seen my second e-golf out and about on the road this morning, they are still quite rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

charlieIRL wrote: »
    BTW - only seen my second e-golf out and about on the road this morning, they are still quite rare.

I’ve started seeing a few more on the m50 but I seen two navy ones around Lucan / Clondalkin area frequent enough. I still haven’t seen another black one with the light pack I would have thought my choice would have ended up common enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

L-M wrote: »
    I’ve had that heater component fail on two cars. It sits on top of the battery apparently. Strange. Must be a common fault.

Hi sorry to pull this back up. car is going in for service. What is component that failed? My air con is terrible

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Can anyone here give your experience with range achieved in real world driving?

I have a few longer range trips per year and am wondering if they would be feasible in the eGolf.... I know I'd have to stop and charge up either once or twice on journey. I don't think it's a runner, but don't want to dismiss it out of hand just yet. Have you taken a long journey in one of these e.g. to the West , Southwest or Northwest, and how did you get on?

Thanks.

I have a few longer range trips per year and am wondering if they would be feasible in the eGolf.... I know I'd have to stop and charge up either once or twice on journey. I don't think it's a runner, but don't want to dismiss it out of hand just yet. Have you taken a long journey in one of these e.g. to the West , Southwest or Northwest, and how did you get on?

Thanks.

Driven a number of times in the Gen 1 and now the Gen 2. It is supposed to be 90km door to door. In the Gen 1 I would just about make it down on a full charge

In the Gen 2 I am hammering it down the road :P but will end up with about 40km left. If I took it like I drove the Gen 1 I would probably end up with half the battery

What sort of distance you talking about?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Driven a number of times in the Gen 1 and now the Gen 2. It is supposed to be 90km door to door. In the Gen 1 I would just about make it down on a full charge

In the Gen 2 I am hammering it down the road :P but will end up with about 40km left. If I took it like I drove the Gen 1 I would probably end up with half the battery

What sort of distance you talking about?

Thanks for the info, it gives me the picture I need.

My longer trip is about 350 km in total, but only occasional. Seems like the infrastructure is not really there yet to support that. I'd say I'd have to keep my Golf TSi for the long trips! (two golfs in the driveway!?). eGolf sounds like a super car as long as you have an alternative for the longer journeys.... I may wait and see on the ID 3 at this point. Weighing up various options though, including hanging on to the Tsi for while. I do love the sound of the eGolf though for all the regular driving.

Thanks for the info, it gives me the picture I need.

My longer trip is about 350 km in total, but only occasional. Seems like the infrastructure is not really there yet to support that. I'd say I'd have to keep my Golf TSi for the long trips! (two golfs in the driveway!?). eGolf sounds like a super car as long as you have an alternative for the longer journeys.... I may wait and see on the ID 3 at this point. Weighing up various options though, including hanging on to the Tsi for while. I do love the sound of the eGolf though for all the regular driving.

Have you checked if Ionity is on the route?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Philippe14

I have never driven to the limit of the battery yet, but the ranges it gave we while I was driving was between 150km and 200km with a full battery.

The shorter was in winter time on a near empty motorway driving over 110km/h. The longer was still in winter time, but while driving in traffic (still motorway) at speeds around 90km/h. I have not yet done enough driving in warmer weather to really have an idea.

On the one or two times you need the longer trip, you can drive a bit slower or even set yourself behind a lorry/bus. That'll be a bit slower but can greatly improve the range. So I'd say one charge along the route can be enough if it is reasonably close to the middle. Otherwise, a couple of (smaller?) charges could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Thanks.

I did my first long-ish (i.e. not just around the locality) trip last weekend on the motorway. The range flew down at motorway speeds, and I think I was looking at a range of about 150km. Aircon was off, adaptive cruise control was on. Maybe driving with that off, and driving smarter while going up and downhill might have made a difference. If the weight of the car's contents makes a big difference to range, then I wouldn't be helping things there (especially after lockdown).

I was on the M9, so was able to top up in Kilcullen for a few mins and use the fast charger.

Eoin wrote: »
    I did my first long-ish (i.e. not just around the locality) trip last weekend on the motorway. The range flew down at motorway speeds, and I think I was looking at a range of about 150km. Aircon was off, adaptive cruise control was on. Maybe driving with that off, and driving smarter while going up and downhill might have made a difference. If the weight of the car's contents makes a big difference to range, then I wouldn't be helping things there (especially after lockdown).

I was on the M9, so was able to top up in Kilcullen for a few mins and use the fast charger.

Weight is not the issue. Speed is. Doing 120-130km/h will drop range massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Hi sorry to pull this back up. car is going in for service. What is component that failed? My air con is terrible

Thanks

This is a component on the battery, nothing to do with heating the car.

It was more in the 100-110 range - is it worth chopping another 10km/h off that for occasions where it might save needing to stop off for a boost?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

The 32a cable makes a huge difference when charging mine on my home / work charger - it nearly halves the time to charge compared to the 20a. VW said the 20a is all they supply with the car and won't give you a 32a one.

So if you are getting a home charger installed, should you opt for one with an untethered 32A cable so you can take it with you on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭C@t

So if you are getting a home charger installed, should you opt for one with an untethered 32A cable so you can take it with you on the road?

An untethered charge point doesn’t come with any cable, so you’d have to buy the charge point and a separate 32A cable to use at home and on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Thanks.

My commute to work is 92km/70mins one way, 50/50 Motorway/National Roads.

During the summer, I charge to 70% and I get there with ~20%
    During the winter, I charge to 80-90% and I get there with ~20% (During freezing conditions, 90%)

Mainly driven in Eco Mode and normal driving style, I could eek out a few more % easily by changing a few things but I'm not bothered

Long Range Trips can be worked out with ABRP App to see what you'll need to do given the weather conditions etc. I have done much longer road trips and it just takes a little extra planning which is quickly figured out tbh, i.e. plan charging around eating/shopping/or doing something else and any inconvenience is minimized.

I have one tethered and one untethered

I should have went both untethered.....just because the eGolf and OUtlander has different connections

Dempsey wrote: »
    My commute to work is 92km/70mins one way, 50/50 Motorway/National Roads.

During the summer, I charge to 70% and I get there with ~20%
    During the winter, I charge to 80-90% and I get there with ~20% (During freezing conditions, 90%)

Mainly driven in Eco Mode and normal driving style, I could eek out a few more % easily by changing a few things but I'm not bothered

Long Range Trips can be worked out with ABRP App to see what you'll need to do given the weather conditions etc. I have done much longer road trips and it just takes a little extra planning which is quickly figured out tbh, i.e. plan charging around eating/shopping/or doing something else and any inconvenience is minimized.

Thanks for that info. Appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Driving across Snowdonia in Eco Mode and taking it handy Iast September I reckon I got close to the 200k. Fantastic car.

My commute is 60kms to work, mixture of back roads, R roads and I think approx 16kms motorway. the eGolf range really suffers when you go above 100kms/hr so more suited to R roads. Saying that i get 15.2kWh/100km consistently on my commute.

Yesterday I had to go from Tullamore to Nenagh and then back to Athlone, 160kms trip and al lon 80kph roads, didn't spare it and i managed 13.2kWh/100kms and a range of 260kms (Ive an executive model with larger wheels). Drove the full route in Eco+ and D3 though. 220-230kms is normal this time of year though

In winter when you need heat, even after pre-heating, the range really really suffers, can drop as low as 150kms on a full charge.

Thanks for the info on your experience, AmberGold and CharlieIRL. Very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

In winter when you need heat, even after pre-heating, the range really really suffers, can drop as low as 150kms on a full charge.[/QUOTE]

not if you get one with a heat pump:)

i don't find long trips a problem. i've a trip to waterford and a trip to beyond sligo i do 3/4 times a year each.

waterford i stop in gorey for 20 min ionity charge. possibly i might not even need to but why risk the stress?

sligo i was concerned about but i now go via athlone ionity and fill her up to 100%. it takes longer but is a nicer drive than the n4 (like, a really fun drive from athlone to skreen via the n61). on saturday might attempt it with a bike rack and 3 bikes...or i might chicken out and leave them at home:)

honestly, the longer trips aren't that much of a big deal. you plan and accommodate and for me these trips aren't that regular. the car is so lovely to drive it more than makes up for it.

what i would say is that the range does take away spontaneity. if, say, i'm away for a break with the mrs i might not always have the option of jumping in the car and going somewhere.

for this same reason i came to the conclusion that i won't stay in a hotel that doesn't offer destination charging (even if just a 3pin plug option). this solves the problem but limits where you can stay.
    on the plus side i'm staying in the mount falcon hotel next week which i only found because it came up on plugshare!

honestly, the longer trips aren't that much of a big deal. you plan and accommodate and for me these trips aren't that regular. the car is so lovely to drive it more than makes up for it.

Totally my feeling on it too - I'd say I barely do more than 4 or 5 trips a year that are more than a full charge's distance away. And of those trips, only 2 would be a bit of pain to stop off for 30 min as it's an early start to drive to Norn Iron for work. It's definitely worth the trade off.
    which i only found because it came up on plugshare!

This is great! I hadn't seen this site before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,348 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

for this same reason i came to the conclusion that i won't stay in a hotel that doesn't offer destination charging (even if just a 3pin plug option). this solves the problem but limits where you can stay.

Very few hotels now have neither a charge point nor provide a 3 pin socket for charging. Places know full well that they will lose a significant and quickly increasing chunk of business if they don't

Trips up to 200 kms are absolutely fine for me on a single charge if i don't use the motorway and have a reasonably sensible right foot. With the amount of camera vans around now, it makes sense to keep to limits, safer anyway!!

Even my family now know if we want to use the eGolf for a longer trip (pre-lockdown) that we have to allow for a few mins charge somewhere on either a fast charger for a few mins or park at a slower one and head off for a while.

Only time i can't use it is when heading west or north west but i see there is a new FCP in Sligo so that helps when we head to Strandhill or Rosses Point. If there was one in Ballina it would be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,348 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

^^^ that

And when the family know you're saving substantial money and produce zero emissions when taking the EV, they'd be even more on board (or they should be anyway :D). And with the charging for charging, the public charging network now is under a lot less pressure than it was this time last year, even though there are far more EVs out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

Trips up to 200 kms are absolutely fine for me on a single charge if i don't use the motorway and have a reasonably sensible right foot. With the amount of camera vans around now, it makes sense to keep to limits, safer anyway!!

Even my family now know if we want to use the eGolf for a longer trip (pre-lockdown) that we have to allow for a few mins charge somewhere on either a fast charger for a few mins or park at a slower one and head off for a while.

Only time i can't use it is when heading west or north west but i see there is a new FCP in Sligo so that helps when we head to Strandhill or Rosses Point. If there was one in Ballina it would be fantastic.

100% Charlie; as I said I do dublin-skreen (Mayo) and the trip is no problem with a stop. I think I could even go n4 now as new Esb chargers have gone in and an EasyGO in Longford. But that drive up the n61 is fun!
    The problem is that once you get there you ain’t going anywhere until your in-laws 3pin plug has charged you back up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

unkel wrote: »
    Places know full well that they will lose a significant and quickly increasing chunk of business if they don't

That’s kind of hilarious to read, when you consider the amount of EV owners on this island.

Advertisement