Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW e-Golf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,348 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

L-M wrote: »
    That’s kind of hilarious to read, when you consider the :eek:amount of EV owners on this island.

So, Mr Businessman, why do you think there are any chargers at all at hotels? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

That’s kind of hilarious to read, when you consider the amount of EV owners on this island.

It’s early days alright but I saw 4 Tesla’s and a Mini-e parked at Decathlon’s 10 chargers today!

I’d imagine they like customers who spend €50k+ on their cars!..... they didn’t put in 10 chargers for the crack!

As more and more get EVs they will pick hotels based on chargers being available.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've been emailing campsites to make sure we can plug our car in!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

KCross wrote: »
    It’s early days alright but I saw 4 Tesla’s and a Mini-e parked at Decathlon’s 10 chargers today!

I’d imagine they like customers who spend €50k+ on their cars!..... they didn’t put in 10 chargers for the crack!

As more and more get EVs they will pick hotels based on chargers being available.
    Just so its clear , the Councils in virtually every area are ensuring that a certain % of EV chargers are going in to every new commercial development its part of the planning permission.

But as you said i would agree its no harm in attracting some customers who like to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

unkel wrote: »
    So, Mr Businessman, why do you think there are any chargers at all at hotels? ;)

There’s no logic to it. If there are enough EVs to warrant having chargers at hotels, there’ll never be enough chargers. The hotel has 5 and 6 people staying there have EVs, what happens then? And they obviously can’t have 200 chargers.

I’m all for chargers around hotels, as in in Petrol stations etc, but to say hotels will lose “huge chunks of business” because they don’t have chargers is mad.

Unless rental companies start putting out EVs for tourists, or our domestic sales of EVs increase, there be no “huge chunks” of business lost. Unless of course Mr Unkel et all decide to staycation for ever.

• Advertisement

There’s no logic to it.

So hotels are just installing chargers for the hell of it? :p

Of course there is logic to it. Hotels can install chargers very cheaply if they take up Tesla's offer. And whatever balance of the cost they end up paying themselves, they can deduct as expenses for tax reasons in one go. It's a smart business investment. I thought that was obvious.

I'm staying in a hotel in the west for a few nights next month. Costing me the guts of two grand. And you guessed it, I would have booked elsewhere if they hadn't had a car charge point (or a socket), even though I will barely need it as my car has a range of 300-400km

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭iomusicdublin

Can the battery be upgraded in this car?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Anything is technically possible but in reality it’s not financially viable or something that is routinely done with any EV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Company in Austria have done it, 55kWh if I remember and that was in the Gen 1. It was never put on retail. More of a "look what we can do". THey are the same lads who made Arnie and electric Hummer

So hotels are just installing chargers for the hell of it? :p

Of course there is logic to it. Hotels can install chargers very cheaply if they take up Tesla's offer. And whatever balance of the cost they end up paying themselves, they can deduct as expenses for tax reasons in one go. It's a smart business investment. I thought that was obvious.

I'm staying in a hotel in the west for a few nights next month. Costing me the guts of two grand. And you guessed it, I would have booked elsewhere if they hadn't had a car charge point (or a socket), even though I will barely need it as my car has a range of 300-400km

You said they’ll lose a huge chunk of business. You’re wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭iomusicdublin

I am thinking that in 2 - 3 years time when a 100kw battery pack costs 4,000 euro or less

You said they’ll lose a huge chunk of business. You’re wrong.

My two grand is a fair chunk of their business. They would not have got it from me if I couldn't have charged my car. I was obviously not wrong there :p

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Philippe14

My two grand is a fair chunk of their business. They would not have got it from me if I couldn't have charged my car. I was obviously not wrong there :p
    If what you said about being able to deduct pretty much all of it, then is gives a good business reason to do it. But I doubt most would be worried about losing a "good chunk" of business just because of chargers. If not you, someone else could have stayed, and even without you it would hardly make a difference in most of their yearly budget (except may be this year because of the lockdown, but no one would have planned just for that). There just aren't enough EVs yet to make it a compelling case in itself.

Overall, there are probably plenty of reasons to install chargers, whether in hotels or Decathlon or other places.

Some owners probably do believe in it (may be the actual owner has an EV). But for other it is regulation, for other it is greenwashing (especially if the grants and tax break pay for almost all of it), and some probably prepare for the future even if there is no immediate incentive yet (apart from the grants).

But the plan to drop diesel in the future does give visibility to EVs. So it is probably a good business plan to start getting equipped bit by bit rather than try to do all at once when there are going to be enough EVs.

But as you said i would agree its no harm in attracting some customers who like to spend.

I doubt EV owners spend any more in hotels then non EV owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

I don’t see what a hotel has to lose by getting a charger. Its no harm and if you could book the charger it would definitely make me consider that hotel more than one without. Who wants to waste time stopping for a charge when on a holiday if possible.

Has anybody noticed any degradation yet on any of their cars ? 44k in and I haven’t noticed any.

Mupchease wrote: »
    Has anybody noticed any degradation yet on any of their cars ? 44k in and I haven’t noticed any.

In a mild climate degradation will be very low and gradual on pretty much all EVs bar ones with zero battery cooling (like Leafs)

Think ballpark remaining capacity of 80-85% after 10-15 years (typical life of a car)

In a mild climate degradation will be very low and gradual on pretty much all EVs bar ones with zero battery cooling (like Leafs)

Think ballpark remaining capacity of 80-85% after 10-15 years (typical life of a car)

Never noticed any on my two, the only confirmation I have seen was a guy took a battery reading after it arrived and after 80k km or miles I cant remember took another and it had same battery left. According to the group it was mentioned VW "buffer" the battery more than rivals so even thought it had degradation it didnt affect range

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

Has anyone updated the maps in the infotainment? Saw someone on FB had done it.

It's 25 gig of maps!

https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/int/en/index/downloads/maps-download#/?car=a3e422d7-ab49-4a9e-aa71-37fe8035fe76

I'm assuming it's straight forward enough - download, unzip, put it on the SD card.

Just wondering if anyone has done it/found it worthwhile?

It's 25 gig of maps!

https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/int/en/index/downloads/maps-download#/?car=a3e422d7-ab49-4a9e-aa71-37fe8035fe76

I'm assuming it's straight forward enough - download, unzip, put it on the SD card.

I done it on my old one eGolf.....It was easy enough

You need a 32GB card, dont go with lower or it wont work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Mupchease wrote: »
    I don’t see what a hotel has to lose by getting a charger. Its no harm and if you could book the charger it would definitely make me consider that hotel more than one without. Who wants to waste time stopping for a charge when on a holiday if possible.

Stayed in the Kinglsey in Cork recently, Tesla charger was borderline useless, better off plugging into a wall socket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

It's 25 gig of maps!

Can it be updated via the wifi connection?

Dempsey wrote: »
    Can it be updated via the wifi connection?

No, has to be card into slot in system

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

AmberGold wrote: »
    Stayed in the Kinglsey in Cork recently, Tesla charger was borderline useless, better off plugging into a wall socket.

Some Tesla destination chargers have been throttled back by providers, I am not familiar with that one but they could well have pulled it back to minimal amperage just so they can have it as a selling point.
    So this is the Kingsley that have done it, not Tesla and not the charger.

Checking ZapMap comments, the Kingsley have it restricted to 3.6kW so there's your answer

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Two nights this week my car has failed to charge :(
    Sunday night I plugged it in - hadn't been charged since Thursday night and had 36kms range left - it only charged to 60kms. I have a timer set etc and its been working faultless since October. Had to fast charge just to get me to work, charged at work no problem.
    Had a lot of driving to do Tuesday so topped up to 100% when i got home Monday - night no problem at all.
    I had to go to the office yesterday so plugged in at home Tuesday night and it only charged to approximately 80% - i had all timers turned off, charge to 100% etc and it still didn't charge fully.
    Didn't really need a charge last night as I'm working from home until Monday but plugged in anyway and it charged to 100%

Not sure what to do, am back in the office Monday so will charge again Sunday night and see.

Anyone else have any similar problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

AmberGold wrote: »

So it is possible to charge an eGolf using some types of Tesla charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Philippe14

I only failed to charge once on me in the first few weeks on me using it. I can only guess it was a user error and I didn't verify that it was plugged properly.

Since then I have not had a problem, though I have not been charging that much.

Could the problem come from your charger, or a problem with your load balancing which would make it charge at a lower speed?

So it is possible to charge an eGolf using some types of Tesla charger?

All EVs sold in the last few years (including an eGolf and all Teslas) use the same type 2 charger in the car.

Some hotels have "Tesla" destination chargers. They got them provided for free by Tesla and the hotel just pays for the install costs and they have to provide free electricity. Typically they get two of them. Both have the same type 2 connector. But one of them has an internal switch so that it recognises if the car is a Tesla and will only charge Teslas. The other is for all other EVs (Teslas can charge on that one too)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Red Tesla Destination Chargers are Tesla only, white as Unkel says, any type 2

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Two nights this week my car has failed to charge :(
    Sunday night I plugged it in - hadn't been charged since Thursday night and had 36kms range left - it only charged to 60kms. I have a timer set etc and its been working faultless since October. Had to fast charge just to get me to work, charged at work no problem.
    Had a lot of driving to do Tuesday so topped up to 100% when i got home Monday - night no problem at all.
    I had to go to the office yesterday so plugged in at home Tuesday night and it only charged to approximately 80% - i had all timers turned off, charge to 100% etc and it still didn't charge fully.
    Didn't really need a charge last night as I'm working from home until Monday but plugged in anyway and it charged to 100%

Not sure what to do, am back in the office Monday so will charge again Sunday night and see.

Anyone else have any similar problems?

When you plug the car in and lock it , you should see a Green light in the filler cap and a green plug light flashing on the dash?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Thanks L-M, it was doing that alright. The charge would start but then turn itself off after w hile.

Its been charging fine since so not sure what has happened. I turned back on the departure times last night and it charged no problem.

Advertisement