Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW e-Golf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 yellowbrick

I am in the process of buying a new EGolf over the next week or so - and am obviously concerned that the charge cables that come with the car are fit for purpose.

The UK VW Site has the following listed as "standard specification" for the EGolf
    Charging cable, mode 2, type 2/G (10A)
    Charging cable, model 3, type 2/3 (32A)

Whereas the Irish VW site lists the following as "standard specification" for the EGolf
    Charging cable mode 3, type 2/3, 16 A
    Charging cable, mode 2, type 2 / G (10 A)

Whats the justification for only giving Irish Buyers the 16A (I see some posters are saying they got a 20A cable
    - possibly the same one as the GTE) cable rather that the 32A cable which the EGolf is more than capable of using?

I believe the dealers buy in this cable sperately anyway -
    Has anyone actually got a 32A cable from a dealer as part of a new purchase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I am in the process of buying a new EGolf over the next week or so - and am obviously concerned that the charge cables that come with the car are fit for purpose.

The UK VW Site has the following listed as "standard specification" for the EGolf

Whereas the Irish VW site lists the following as "standard specification" for the EGolf

Whats the justification for only giving Irish Buyers the 16A (I see some posters are saying they got a 20A cable
    - possibly the same one as the GTE) cable rather that the 32A cable which the EGolf is more than capable of using?

Just ask them for 32a cable.

In reality you will be charging over night 99% of the time and it will make no difference

I have no idea if I got a 16a or 32a with my car to be honest.

Most charge points now come with a cable connected so the cable sits in boot. The 10a is the granny cable

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭C@t

I was told by my dealer that it was due to the wiring in the average Irish home... and in the same sentence told that I should buy a tethered 32A home charger 🀷*♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 65,348 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I have no idea if I got a 16a or 32a with my car to be honest.

Your electricity bill will tell you ;)

Most EVs can not be charged in full at the night rate with a 16A cable. You will pay way over the odds for charging up at home if you do not have a 32A cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

So, charging at ionity Gorey on Sunday- plugged in, car started to charge for about 5 seconds and then clunk- power outage to all the ionity chargers and the esb. Like a trip switch went off and killed all the power.

Then last night the car failed to charge- my eo mini was dead and yep, the trip switch had gone.

Are these 2 things just coincidence ? I just plugged in (at home) and pressed charge and it seems to be working. It’s now set to charge overnight so we’ll see. But I don’t really believe in coincidences...Anyone anything similar?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Don't go round and test every single charger, you are either cursed or have an issue, but don't take out the whole island :D

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

We bought our eGolf just before the lockdown and got a 20A Type 2 cable as well as the mains one.

The few fast chargers we've used so far have all been tethered so the cable hasn't been an issue. We've used a number of the free ESB 22kW chargers but would a 32A cable make a difference with those ones or not?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

.... but would a 32A cable make a difference with those ones or not?

it will half the charging time.

i use the one i got with my car when charging at night because it can be plugged in for 9 - 10 hours but if i need a charge on a 22kW charger i use the 32a one. Can get 50kms in an hour with it I think whereas if i used the 16a one I'd only get 25kms.

Just trying to understand charging rates and charging times.

I charged up our eGolf about a week ago using one of the free ESB 22kW chargers (Type 2 untethered - 22kW) - I was using the 20A cable.

The charging time was 2h 39m 37s and the power came to 18.747KWh.

Can anyone tell me how long it would have taken if i had been able to use a 32A cable?

Thanks.

I charged up our eGolf about a week ago using one of the free ESB 22kW chargers (Type 2 untethered - 22kW) - I was using the 20A cable.

Can anyone tell me how long it would have taken if i had been able to use a 32A cable?

Thanks.

Your eGolf has a 36kW battery (32kW useable AFAIK) so you charged up from half full approx?

Anyway - if it took you 2h 39m it would only take 1hr 20m approx with a 32a cable, it literally halves the charge time from my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Thanks.
    18.75 kWh in 2h40' (160') gives an average rate of charge of 7.02 kW.

As Power= Voltage x Current and Voltage is assumed 220 V the charging current averages at around 31.9A

I don't think you are going to get any better charging rate with a different cable. A lot safer though. Interesting how was it possible. Was it warm during the charging?

Thanks for doing the maths.

No, the cable didn't feel warm. But I don't understand how it could carry a current of almost 32A if it is only rated at 20A.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Does the golf show how fast it is charging?

I didn't think to check that.

I'll do that next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I've a similar question - the options in the car settings are something like "5A,11A, 13A and Max". It's set to Max and my home charger is capable of 32A, but it's taking ages to charge - prob over 10 hours from empty-ish. Fast charging from a 50kw works fine - am I missing a setting or something? The charger installation crew called out today and couldn't find any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Eoin wrote: »
    I've a similar question - the options in the car settings are something like "5A,11A, 13A and Max". It's set to Max and my home charger is capable of 32A, but it's taking ages to charge - prob over 10 hours from empty-ish. Fast charging from a 50kw works fine - am I missing a setting or something? The charger installation crew called out today and couldn't find any problems.

If the car is set to max then the charger must be throttling to 16A

Whats the rating on the cable? Is the the charger configurable?

It's the EO Mini Tethered, which should be up to 7.2kW. I figured it was likely the charger, but just wanted to rule out any stupid-user errors first.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,348 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Eoin wrote: »
    I've a similar question - the options in the car settings are something like "5A,11A, 13A and Max". It's set to Max and my home charger is capable of 32A, but it's taking ages to charge - prob over 10 hours from empty-ish.

That would be consistent with you using a 16A cable. Is there any letters on the cable? Take a picture and post it here. If you don't have another cable or another charge point to try it on and you're ever around Lucan, drop over to me and you can try my setup which has been working for nearly 3.5 years @7kW with my 7kW charge point and my 32A cable :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've got an OBDeleven that can connect to VAG cars, it can read the charging current from the e-Golf.

unkel wrote: »
    That would be consistent with you using a 16A cable. Is there any letters on the cable? Take a picture and post it here. If you don't have another cable or another charge point to try it on and you're ever around Lucan, drop over to me and you can try my setup which has been working for nearly 3.5 years @7kW with my 7kW charge point and my 32A cable :)

Thank you! I might just take you up on that. The installer told me I should deffo be expecting a quicker charge, but I can't find any datasheets for that unit that confirm the amperage of the cable. I kinda regret getting a tethered one if that's the case.

But given the car charges as expected from a fast charger, the home unit does seem the likely culprit.

Edit: not sure there's much useful into on the tethered cable, but the box has a sticker with "up to 7.2kW / 32amp AC".

• Advertisement

SO left my Golf in for service today. They gave me a loan car, which was late :-( , but anyway. I got a diesel Golf, think it was 191 or something. Manual

God it was awful to drive compared to the eGolf. I forgot about all the mad revving and power for a few seconds and then nothing. People complain about electric cars but oh my God I would never go back to diesel.

Was happy to drop back the diesel Golf and jump back into my nice clean eGolf

I assume this was the first service.

Was it after 2 years or 20,000km?

I assume this was the first service.

Was it after 2 years or 20,000km?

17k km's on the clock after 12 months or so....stick it in as the tyre sensors have had issues and wanted themn fixed

We've had ours for four and a half months and have only managed 2,400km because of the lockdown!

Mine is 10 months old and 20-odd kms, it came up it was due for inspection at 15k or something like that but i was told to wait until its a year old.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Mine is 10 months old and 20-odd kms, it came up it was due for inspection at 15k or something like that but i was told to wait until its a year old.

Can I ask how much it costs? Mine is showing ‘inspection due in 20 days’ so it’s on the to do list.

Can I ask how much it costs? Mine is showing ‘inspection due in 20 days’ so it’s on the to do list.

I was quoted €110!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

How many KMs though? That inspection due reminder is time based as far as i know rather than KM based - so if it was sitting at a dealer for a few months, that time is included.

There are videos on youtube showing how to reset that inspection timer.

How many KMs though? That inspection due reminder is time based as far as i know rather than KM based - so if it was sitting at a dealer for a few months, that time is included.

There are videos on youtube showing how to reset that inspection timer.

There’s about 35k on it I think - I got it 2nd hand and have had it nearly a year so figured I’d go get it looked at.

Also I found out that, because I brought it in from the UK, my vw roadside assistance isn’t ‘activated’ and won’t be until the car has a service by an Irish dealer. Personally I thought this line was complete BS but no amount of arguing with the drone on the phone was going to change this. As I sat there with a flat tire. Which was caused by the dealer botching the fix on a slow puncture...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

There’s about 35k on it I think - I got it 2nd hand and have had it nearly a year so figured I’d go get it looked at.

Also I found out that, because I brought it in from the UK, my vw roadside assistance isn’t ‘activated’ and won’t be until the car has a service by an Irish dealer. Personally I thought this line was complete BS but no amount of arguing with the drone on the phone was going to change this. As I sat there with a flat tire. Which was caused by the dealer botching the fix on a slow puncture...

Yeah, better off getting the service and getting it 'legit' :)

Advertisement