Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW e-Golf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

jontr wrote: »
    It's still showing same price as for last few weeks:

e-Golf
    e-Golf 100 kW (136 HP) 1-speed Automatic
    € 47,250.00*1
    My Selection
    € -9,401.00*1
    Total
    € 37,849.00*1

Yeah the website hasn't been updated yet but the reduction is definitely there. I just got the attached from Laharts in Kilkenny.

Now it's obviously not set in stone yet so I would be wary of the GFV figure but I'd say the rest is solid. Even at that, the GFV should be exactly the same as it was last week as it's the same car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Yeah the website hasn't been updated yet but the reduction is definitely there. I just got the attached from Laharts in Kilkenny.

Now it's obviously not set in stone yet so I would be wary of the GFV figure but I'd say the rest is solid. Even at that, the GFV should be exactly the same as it was last week as it's the same car.

That works out at €31,618?

Any deposit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭Soarer

Loses 66% over 3 years?
    Bit saucy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,072 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Those figures don't look right. The GMV and 36 repayments are less than the cost of the car.

Can you still put 30% down on the car (or trade in?) after the €10k rebates?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Those figures don't look right. The GMV and 36 repayments are less than the cost of the car.

Can you still put 30% down on the car (or trade in?) after the €10k rebates?

VW insist on a min 10% deposit but you can put down as much as you want.

CL starts at €33k now after the new reduction.

BTW just to clarify I don’t work for VW, I just have a huge interest in the eGolf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,072 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

charlieIRL wrote: »
    VW insist on a min 10% deposit but you can put down as much as you want.

I was just wondering as the figures provided stated they used the €10k as the PCP deposit.

I thought the max deposit could only be 30% of the cost so I'm trying to figure out if it's 30% of the cost before rebate and your deposit can only make up a maximum of 30% or what?

Cost = €44,152 less €10k rebate/grants which would be a 22.6% deposit.

Now if the cost is actually

€44,152 - 10,000 = €34,152 then your deposit could be €10,245 leaving you needing to take out €23,907 on PCP.

That would mean a monthly repayment of €324 at 0% PCP assuming the GMV stayed the same.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I was just wondering as the figures provided stated they used the €10k as the PCP deposit.

I thought the max deposit could only be 30% of the cost so I'm trying to figure out if it's 30% of the cost before rebate and your deposit can only make up a maximum of 30% or what?

Cost = €44,152 less €10k rebate/grants which would be a 22.6% deposit.

Now if the cost is actually

€44,152 - 10,000 = €34,152 then your deposit could be €10,245 leaving you needing to take out €23,907 on PCP.

That would mean a monthly repayment of €324 at 0% PCP assuming the GMV stayed the same.

Maybe 30% is, I'm not sure to be honest. I do know the 0% finance is still available after the extra discount.

An executive with metallic paint works out at nealy €37000 exactly including delivery.

Mike9832 wrote: »
    That works out at €31,618?

Any deposit?

Yeah, you're right about the monthly figure not adding up. I was just looking at the OTR price and the GFV figure.

Regarding losing 66% after 36 months, that's just how PCP deals are structured. I have yet to see anybody who was not offered more for their car after the 36 months than they owed.

And, at that, most EVs that I've looked at only have a GFV figure in the high 20% range so this is much higher (higher than any ICE cars I've seen also, which is why I'm questioning it).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

KCross wrote: »
    I would have thought so too. WLTP on the eGolf is 230km so surely 170km is achievable unless its all a motorway commute at 120km/h... might be tight then.

On short commutes, slow traffic, urban roads, i get 150 miles/240 kms range consistently. That is 99% of my usage.

Sometimes (couple of times per year on average) i do a roundtrip of 92 miles/148 Kms door to door motorway at 65 to 70 mph/105 to 113 Kmph. With a full charge starting out I had 34 miles/54 KMs of range left when i got home.

That would suggest at a constant speed of let's say 113 Kmph, you'd get ~202 KMs range from a full charge.

This trip as mentioned is door to door motorway at constant high speed, so if you have a bit of motorway, a bit of mixed driving, the results above may differ, but a decent indication anyway for pure motorway driving.

This was in a 2019 eGolf, weather conditions warm around 22 Celsius.

The 160 or 170 KM commute would be doable if you can charge at home every night. Even more doable if you have a charging option at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Anyone else having headaches with setting the cruise control to 120 on motorways in eco+?

Usually have to be in eco, set the speed, then switch to eco+, very distracting tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

Dempsey wrote: »
    Anyone else having headaches with setting the cruise control to 120 on motorways in eco+?

Usually have to be in eco, set the speed, then switch to eco+, very distracting tbh

I think the point of eco plus is to limit you to 95km not just to turn off all heating and comfort functions. I actually thought it was a bug in the system how it let you up the speed after jumping from eco at 120 to eco plus , back down below 95 and back up again.

All the eco modes do is turn off certain functions and limit the power. Depending how you drive and what you have left on you can achieve the same kw/100km. Also D mode on motorways allowing the coasting on gradients seams more efficient than leaving the car in B mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Eco+ allows you to go to a max of 95km

Eco allows 120km

Normal you can put the hammer down

Eco+ restricts your speed/acceleration/comforts etc to maximise the range.

if you want to do 120km then you should be in Eco mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Eco+ allows you to go to a max of 95km

Eco allows 120km

Normal you can put the hammer down

Eco+ restricts your speed/acceleration/comforts etc to maximise the range.

if you want to do 120km then you should be in Eco mode.

So if I disable A/C in Eco mode, its then the very same as being in Eco+?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Which ones? the exec model and the standard has different alloys....

I actually like the cheese clicers. Something different

Also loads of people all around the World have changed the alloys and none have seen a 10% loss in range.

every single site i clicked on mentioned at least 10% agasnt the cheese slicers

https://www.reddit.com/r/electricvehicles/comments/4u08f0/what_happens_when_you_replace_egolf_energy_saving/

So if I disable A/C in Eco mode, its then the very same as being in Eco+?

Refer to the manual in your glovebox for the full list. It’s in there if I remember correctly. Eco+ also limits to 95 km/h.

• Advertisement

pobber1 wrote: »
    I got an eGolf Executive three weeks ago and so far it's been a bit of a revelation. I moved from a long line of petrol and diesel cars and I was a bit apprehensive about losing the "driving experience" but now I can't ever see myself driving anything but electric again. The car is a pleasure to drive and I look forward to driving it.

I'd echo the above, for short runs it's ideal. I drive about 20-30km a day around town and the Golf is perfect for that. I've driven more than that the last three weeks as I've been going out for spins just because its new and I like driving it.

So far I've done a mix of home charging and public charging. I can't say I've hit any issues with chargers not working just yet but it's only been a few weeks, I've used 5 different chargers in different locations and all have worked for me.
    One problem I have had is because the charge port on the golf is at the rear and depending on which charging spot is already occupied and can't get the charge cable to reach, maybe I'm doing something wrong. For example, I stopped at a charge point, when I arrived there was an eNiro parked in the right bay using the CCS. I thought okay I'll use the AC so I drove straight in but the cable wouldn't reach, I tried reversing in but it still wouldn't reach.

I did my first "long" run in it last weekend, about 170km (most of which was motorway). The cars GOM was telling me it would make it and I'd have 30km to spare if I drove at 110km. I didn't want to risk it as I'm still not 100% confident that the car will do what it says so I stopped for a charge. I tried driving at 120km and watched as the GOM dropped at speed.

They are very expensive for what they are, I bought it as a company car so that takes the sting out of the price. I've yet to see another one on the road so I'm enjoying the exclusivity :)

I posted this on the price reduction thread, but thought the core thread might find the experience useful to compare against. Question in that thread was about range anxiety over a 160/170 km round trip:
    On short commutes, slow traffic, urban roads, i get 150 miles/240 kms range consistently. That is 99% of my usage.

Sometimes (couple of times per year on average) i do a roundtrip of 92 miles/148 Kms door to door motorway at 65 to 70 mph/105 to 113 Kmph. With a full charge starting out I had 34 miles/54 KMs of range left when i got home.

That would suggest at a constant speed of let's say 113 Kmph, you'd get ~202 KMs range from a full charge.

This trip as mentioned is door to door motorway at constant high speed, so if you have a bit of motorway, a bit of mixed driving, the results above may differ, but a decent indication anyway for pure motorway driving.

This was in a 2019 eGolf, weather conditions warm around 22 Celsius.

The 160 or 170 KM commute would be doable if you can charge at home every night. Even more doable if you have a charging option at work.

I also see someone mention here that D is better than B on motorway to take advantage of coasting. I did the above journey in B. Next time I’ll do it in D to see if there is a noticeable difference.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Merged the e-Golf price reduction thread into this one

Hi guys.

I'm close to the point of deciding whether or not to pull the trigger on a e-Golf and was just interested in people's thoughts. From experience, what's it like as a car to own? What kind of real range would a full battery get (assuming mixed driving, typically no motorway though)? What are the positives/negatives of the car?

I would be going for a Comfortline as I wouldn't be able to stretch to the Executive.

I've seen "car connect" in the brochure. Is this basically Android Auto/Apple Car Play? Is there an app for the e-Golf to remotely monitor charging etc?

Anything any body thinks is relevant when thinking about buying one of these would be great really as I always felt they were overpriced so, as a result, don't know nearly as much about them as the Leaf/Ionic, but the €5k price reduction and 0% PCP suddenly makes it a possibility.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Anything any body thinks is relevant when thinking about buying one of these would be great really as I always felt they were overpriced so, as a result, don't know nearly as much about them as the Leaf/Ionic, but the €5k price reduction and 0% PCP suddenly makes it a possibility.

Thanks.

I cant answer any of your questions but personally I think its still overpriced even with the €5k reduction.

What is the OTR price to you? €32k?

1yr after you buy it the newer, longer range ID.3 model will be out for less money (<€30k)... thats going to affect your depreciation of the eGolf even if your eGolf is higher spec.... range is king when it comes to EV's.

KCross wrote: »
    I cant answer any of your questions but personally I think its still overpriced even with the €5k reduction.

What is the OTR price to you? €32k?

1yr after you buy it the newer, longer range ID.3 model will be out for less money (<€30k)... thats going to affect your depreciation of the eGolf even if your eGolf is higher spec.... range is king when it comes to EV's.

Yeah that's a huge consideration for me. I had been planning to wait for the ID3 or Seat el Born but the €5k reduction is significant and has at least made me think about it. OTR is just over €32k including tech pack I think.

Yeah that's a huge consideration for me. I had been planning to wait for the ID3 or Seat el Born but the €5k reduction is significant and has at least made me think about it. OTR is just over €32k including tech pack I think.

Why don’t you PCP one and then when the ID3 becomes available in all battery sizes trade the golf back in for one? That’s what I’m doing.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Why don’t you PCP one and then when the ID3 becomes available in all battery sizes trade the golf back in for one? That’s what I’m doing.

Yeah, if I'm going for it that'll be the plan alright. The only slight fly in the ointment is that I prefer the look of the el Born to the ID3 and you'll get more for your money with it being a Seat. But I reckon a VW dealer will give a better price for an e-Golf than a Seat one.

Just to ask, what is it about the e-Golf that made you go for one?

Just to ask, what is it about the e-Golf that made you go for one?

Few things. Really liked the way it drove. When I eventually got a decent spin in one it sealed the deal.
    Also visuals, I have to like the look of a car inside and outside. I honestly wasn’t gone on the leafs looks even though it’s a lovely car to drive. There wasn’t any Ioniq’s available to test drive in any garages.
    Also what I mentioned above, am interested in an ID3 as well.

One other thing why I went with VW is that if an EV isn’t working for me, because it’s a PCP, the garage said they will take it back and I can change back to an ICE if I really have to, they said it’s no problem at all. I don’t like any other offerings from Nissan or Hyundai so VW won again.......hopefully!!
    Am collecting mine this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,351 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That really isn't a bad price at this time for a very good EV. Plenty of fools paid the like of €37k for one recently.

Quite likely we will see a €30k ID.3 with more range, but from all we have heard and seen from Frankfurt, it won't be on a par interior quality wise with a Golf, although it will be bigger and have more range. That car is unlikely to be available in Ireland until 2021 though, that's some time away.

With EVs, you can forever sit on the fence and wait for the next best offering. But the speed of change is slow. Very slow.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    That really isn't a bad price at this time for a very good EV. Plenty of fools paid the like of €37k for one recently.

Quite likely we will see a €30k ID.3 with more range, but from all we have heard and seen from Frankfurt, it won't be on a par interior quality wise with a Golf, although it will be bigger and have more range. That car is unlikely to be available in Ireland until 2021 though, that's some time away.

With EVs, you can forever sit on the fence and wait for the next best offering. But the speed of change is slow. Very slow.

Yeah, you're completely right on that. I was thinking about EVs when I bought my car in 2016, then gave it serious consideration when my PCP was up for decision in May but, each time, just really felt the cars weren't worth the money and I don't do enough distance for fuel savings to justify those prices. But this is making me think very seriously. Realistically, if I don't go for this now, I'll be waiting two years to change to an ID3 or el-Born.

Advertisement